Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

And as a plus point I get to wake up my miserable neighbours when I leave at 05:45 in the morning :D - it really does sound like a mashed up London taxi from the outside.

Considering the time you posted this, when do you sleep? :D I'm OK it's only 20.04 where I am :winky:

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vauxhall's I've owned didn't live up to the official figures either. Do any cars when driven in real life?

VAG cars regularly beat the official figures, and are very very thrifty on a motorway run. Especially the 4 cylinder ones, and especially the old 1.9PDi (100, 105, 115 or 130bhp). At times I used to think it was almost impossible getting less then 50mpg on a run...

Like Scott says, once you're used to the 220d, you can start to squeeze out half decent fuel economy, but I think that the biggest problem is the mid gear/range torque and performance. You don't realise it, but the turbo hits max output very quickly and I'm sure it sucks in wads of fuel in the process. But 'cos it's narrow banded, you don't realise it and there isn't enough time to get a quick standing start....so you have to be very gentle and drive it like a gentlemen...

A remap might help, where the turbo becomes gentler but over a longer rev band...??? Dunno - I'm not an expert here, but logically if the Turbo was to kick in gentler from 1500rpm through to 5000rpm, peaking at 35-800 or so, you would get a much a flatter power delivery, with most of the driving happening pre max boost in traffic and around town allowing greater chance of decent economy, on the motorway etc etc, and max turbo only when you start to "cain" it.

At the moment, the peak comes in a dollop mid range, which is too much too early and the car is breathless after 4000rpm, and slack before 1800-2000rpm...

The stupid thing is I love the car but don't love the extra £150 per month I spend on fuel!!

According to my back of a fag packet calculation you'd need to be doing 4000 miles a month (based on an achieved mpg of 32mpg compared to an expected of say 45mpg) before it cost you that much extra per month!

I remember when I had a 1.9Tdi Passat it consistently averaged 47mpg so I would expect a heavier, more powerful Lexus diesel to average about 42mpg - about the same as a 2.0Tdi Audi.

If it's any consolation I'm currently driving a 3.0 Tdi Audi Q7 and it's averaging 22mpg!

I'm back to getting 45 mpg since the injectors were swapped out. I had a couple of weeks where it wasn't so good (35-40mpg) but has now gone back to normal.

Sorry folks, but I'm just glad I didn't buy an oiler :tomato: Did you really choose the first ever Lexus diesal for the economy?

Yes......over a 250. For me it was a no brainer - list price £200 less than the 250 and the claimed ability of going half as far again on a gallon of fuel. The problem with the 220 is that it doesn't do what it says on the tin. I know that we all have different drining styles but, given the widely fluctuating fuel economy figures people have quoted on here, it seems to me that there has got to be a problem with either the engine mapping and/or the injectors as no-one on here seems to be able to achieve the 44.8 mpg combined figure quoted by Lexus on a regular basis with some people only achieving an average in the low 30's. Surely it is not unreasonable for owners to expect to get within at least 10% of the claimed figure without much effort. My personal experience is of a car that has never achieved 44.8 on a return journey never mind a tankful and that is getting harder on fuel the more miles go on the clock.

The stupid thing is I love the car but don't love the extra £150 per month I spend on fuel!!

If it's any consolation I'm currently driving a 3.0 Tdi Audi Q7 and it's averaging 22mpg!

WOW

Lucky :tsktsk:

:lol:

LOl - Jamboo mate, it's absolutely massive! I'm sure I wasn't watching for a second and ran right over a FIAT Cinquecento like it was just a hedgehog. We've just spent lunchtime at work trying to figure out how to get into the third row of seats and trying to fit the two tallest members of staff back there. This afternoon we are off to do a drive by shooting courtesy of the rear privacy glass. Have to say though it's not as good a drive as my IS. Don't think I'll be swopping.

I'm back to getting 45 mpg since the injectors were swapped out. I had a couple of weeks where it wasn't so good (35-40mpg) but has now gone back to normal.

Sorry folks, but I'm just glad I didn't buy an oiler :tomato: Did you really choose the first ever Lexus diesal for the economy?

Yes......over a 250. For me it was a no brainer - list price £200 less than the 250 and the claimed ability of going half as far again on a gallon of fuel. The problem with the 220 is that it doesn't do what it says on the tin. I know that we all have different drining styles but, given the widely fluctuating fuel economy figures people have quoted on here, it seems to me that there has got to be a problem with either the engine mapping and/or the injectors as no-one on here seems to be able to achieve the 44.8 mpg combined figure quoted by Lexus on a regular basis with some people only achieving an average in the low 30's. Surely it is not unreasonable for owners to expect to get within at least 10% of the claimed figure without much effort. My personal experience is of a car that has never achieved 44.8 on a return journey never mind a tankful and that is getting harder on fuel the more miles go on the clock.

...it's what sold it to me too. Else I would have had the 250 SE Auto, any day!

My car is now 1 year old and has just over 10,500 miles on the clock. from new I was averaging between 40 and 43 mpg per tank driving with a very light right foot. Since getting the car evryone I spoke to regarding the fuel consumption told me that it would get better the more miles I put on the clock. I have found the opposite to be true with my last tank averaging 37.7mpg - no change of driving style or routes driven. I raised this with my dealer who told me that I am the third customer who has complained of the fuel comsumption getting worse as the miles have gone on the car. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, have Lexus been able to come up with a solution?

Funny you should mention it but my average has gone from 6.5L per 100km to 8L per 100km over the last two tankfulls ( 12,000km on the clock). I just thought it was something I was doing. Maybe I'll keep an eye on it now . I was also thinking of changing my diesel supplier every tank and keeping a record to see if the supplier of the diesel has anything to do with it . Personally I'm more concerned with the crappy looking exhaust pipe. Why cant we have nice shiny ones( is it the heat or something?).

Over the weekend, i put a full tank of BP Ultimate fuel in my 220d se and I am averaging about 27mpg round town driving. Before anyone thinks of saying that i am driving it too hard, it is worth noting that i always have my current mpg display on and try to drive it gently.

I am so p*****d off that i am seriously thinking of returnng the car on account of merchantabilty issues.

I work in finance and as well as financing everything with a serial number, we also finance cars. If there is a serious issue of merchantability (ie, the vehicle doesnt do what it was sold to you to do) and it is proven, you have serious grounds to kick up a stink and return the vehicle.

I am in the process of writing a serious letter of complaint to Lexus GB, stating that the fuel economy figures they are quoting on their brochures etc is nothing short of fraudulent because those figures are no way achievable. Even if they give me a load of old b******s about the engine needing to open up before it delivers the kind of performance it is claiming, where is that written on the brochure?

A dealer even told me not to take too much notice of the mpg advertised because the way thy test their cars isnt comparable to road use.!!??!

Lexus, the pursuit of perfection? What a load of tosh!

...it's what sold it to me too. Else I would have had the 250 SE Auto, any day!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same four pot diesal engine as is in the Avensis? If so, what's the mpg and weight comparison?

I'm getting 27 to 28 mpg out of my SE-L Auto, and I don't drive conservatively....

i also have poor fuel consumption on my is 220d its got 2200 miles on it now and im getting around 29.9 mpg

when i bought it i raised the issues of poor mpg and was told that 2007 models had better mpg than previous cars which has turned out to be wrong in my case.if i had known this i would have gone for the petrol one. so if your sending in a letter you can add my name to it.

I bought my IS220d SE-L on 5th Jan.

I've covered just over 1000 miles and the fuel consumption average is 35mpg. Like most here I find 6th gear to be pretty much useless below 2000 rpm (85 ish).

My opinion, for what it's worth, is: Fuel consumption is ok for a brand new car. The gearing is too high for 6th. I've been using Esso fuel up until now, but I think I will try BP and see if there is a marked (or any) improvement.

Here's what the different consumption figures mean btw:

Urban Cycle:

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).

Extra-Urban Cycle:

This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is

4.3miles (7km).

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure:

The combined figure presented is for the urban and extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

I recon my commute is similar to the combined which should give 39mpg for a sport. I get 33 at the moment. Hmm. Perhaps it'll be better after 10,000 miles :)

And as a plus point I get to wake up my miserable neighbours when I leave at 05:45 in the morning :D - it really does sound like a mashed up London taxi from the outside.

Considering the time you posted this, when do you sleep? :D I'm OK it's only 20.04 where I am :winky:

Today was a working from home day!

when i bought it i raised the issues of poor mpg and was told that 2007 models had better mpg than previous cars

Wonder what they changed, maybe those new illuminated boot/pertrol cap switches are a tad lighter :D

and/or the injectors as no-one on here seems to be able to achieve the 44.8 mpg combined figure quoted by Lexus on a regular basis with some people only achieving an average in the low 30's.

I don't know about figures in the UK, but we have the combined figure splitted to:

1. IS220d base (16" wheels) 44,8mpg

2. IS220d luxury/sport 38,2mpg

My last 3 tanks are 6,9l/100km which should be 41mpg (uk), so I am within the range.

Just completed 210 miles, in sixth and cruise within legal limits. All motorway and no real traffic problems at all. Drove gently -it's my car not company, so I treat it with respect!

Answer - 43.5mpg on BP Diesel (not ultimate).

I've stopped whinging now. Even though I reckon I should have got over 50mpg, 'cos that's what Extra Urban should be for the SE...it's jekyl and hyde - some days I get 48+mpg, other days I just don't know. It's a lottery and as consistent as Britain's sportsmen.

It just ain't worth complaining. Lexus do not really seem too bothered. Nor am I. Especially 'cos my car started to rattle again today!

Now I'm just saving up so I can defect when the new A4 is launched. Not something I planned to do. But ho hum.

the car has several wonderful things on it's side, and one or two real cr4appers. The fuel economy is not too great and I have learned to live with it, but it's the poor build which scares me even more - not something I expected with Lexus.

Over the weekend, i put a full tank of BP Ultimate fuel in my 220d se and I am averaging about 27mpg round town driving. Before anyone thinks of saying that i am driving it too hard, it is worth noting that i always have my current mpg display on and try to drive it gently.

I am so p*****d off that i am seriously thinking of returnng the car on account of merchantabilty issues.

I work in finance and as well as financing everything with a serial number, we also finance cars. If there is a serious issue of merchantability (ie, the vehicle doesnt do what it was sold to you to do) and it is proven, you have serious grounds to kick up a stink and return the vehicle.

I am in the process of writing a serious letter of complaint to Lexus GB, stating that the fuel economy figures they are quoting on their brochures etc is nothing short of fraudulent because those figures are no way achievable. Even if they give me a load of old b******s about the engine needing to open up before it delivers the kind of performance it is claiming, where is that written on the brochure?

A dealer even told me not to take too much notice of the mpg advertised because the way thy test their cars isnt comparable to road use.!!??!

Lexus, the pursuit of perfection? What a load of tosh!

Picked my car up last night from Lexus Hatfield. They have fixed my rattle and told me that the key problem can stem from anything sending out an electrical signal ie alarm boxes, sky etc.

About the fuel, Dave said that he has been onto a few forums and spoken to a couple of dealers and he has been told about the injector problem so he has ordered me some new injectors, so i will let you all know about that when it happens.

By the way, BP Ultimate is anything but, as i am getting 27mpg as opposed to the 33mpg i was getting from the normal stuff.

About the fuel, Dave said that he has been onto a few forums and spoken to a couple of dealers and he has been told about the injector problem so he has ordered me some new injectors, so i will let you all know about that when it happens.

Just curious Kopman, when was your car first registered?

Well it is good news, relatively speaking that is, because since the injector changes I am now returning on a strictly urban basis i.e. zones 1-3 in London (see congested!!) 27-29 MPG which is an improvement of about 6 or so MPG. It is not the stuff of legend but does mean the time spent away from the pump has extended. I'm hoping it might increase with a bit more mileage.

I used a full tank of BP ultimate the other day and got 338 miles on a full tank (the most i have had is 367) . That cost me a pound a litre for the privelidge.

I then re-filled with normal BP diesel and in the last couple of days I have done 470 miles with about 50 left in the tank. I have also been averaging 40-43mpg.

I am really confused by this as my car has been so crap since i got it.

However, i have found that since i have had the "Current MPG" gauge constantly displayed, i have noticed that my mpg has improved because i have been tryng to drive nd get the most mpg out of the gear i am in.

On the downside, i have a rattle in the drivers airvent and the car is so sluggish through the gears. It is so bad that i have no power in any gear under under 2000 revs. 6th is still an impossibility in anything under 85 without the car rattling to the point of giving me a head ache. I am also having to change gear so much on the motorway that it is beyond a joke.

I am waiting to have my injectors changed so hopefully it will improve the slugginess.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon K and Cooper S mentioned on the 'Rattles Fixed' thread a while back that they had/were about to have the ECU reprogrammed on their 220d. Has anyone else had this done yet? If so, what has the result been in terms of driveability and fuel consumption? Can Simon and Cooper S give us an update?

evening all...just had my 220d back from the dealership (exeter) they kept it for almost 2 weeks!.

well the rattles have almost gone....gone are the central speaker rattle, drivers seat creak, gear knob buzz, drivers door rattle - but more prevalent is the dashboard "crack" ie the noise of plasic due to differential movement presumable to temperatue changes (usually starts 15 mins into journey), so closely monitering this. More importantly is the fuel economy...fter an ALL injector changer and ECU re-map..my car has shot up from 32/33 mpg to 41/42..which i am happy with..although i've still got high revs when climate control is on..something i nver noticed int the 250 loan car :s

Unfortunately due to the overnight snow on Friday/Saturday, were I live, I had to cancel my appointment with Lex Newcastle and therefore cannot give any feed back at the moment. Im going to rearrange asap, but Im sure others on this site will have some opinions by then.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links