Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

i had my ecu re programmed, before i was getting around 29.9 mpg over the course of a week,at the end of the following week after re programming the display showed 28.9 mpg?

i drive the same route to work and back at the same time every day,re programming hasnt done anything to my car to improve the mpg, it appears to have made it slightly worse,and definately not better.

lexus have said i wont see much of a difference until the summer when the car will have got more miles on it? i feel the same way as a few others on this forum in the way i feel i was mis sold the car, if i had known about the mpg problem i would have gone for the petrol version.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been driving around in town only for half a tank of fuel -

28.2mpg on BP standard derv @ Tank average. That is so poor. It's not even in heavy traffic, it's on longish town runs on a warm engine and there are quite a few 40mph roads which are always moving. I am really disappointed.

There is no way mine'll see >35mpg as stated by the official figures - No way. No matter how it's driven in urban conditions, unless you reset the meter on a straight rolling 40mph road in 4th gear! On shorter journeys I've seen 32mpg, but that was plain lucky I think, and not representative.

I'm like 20% down on the official which I still happen to think is unacceptable. Even on the motorway, I can no longer get to 50+mpg which I did twice before. The best I can get is 48mpg, driving at approx 1700-2000rpm in 5th (<70mph).

6th seems to make the car drink more fuel at any speed. I don't understand the deterioration in fuel consumption.

Even the IS250 Auto can almost get to that!

I had the 5th injector changed and I am sure that whilst the car became smoother, the fuel economy suffered a tad.

Why is this car so bad?

PS HAS ANYONE with a 220D HIT the official figures yet consistently? Does anyone see over 50 mpg on a total motorway only run within legal speed limits? At any speed?

It is due a service in March, but it's only the 10k one, so an oil change for £185!

lexus have said i wont see much of a difference until the summer when the car will have got more miles on it? i feel the same way as a few others on this forum in the way i feel i was mis sold the car, if i had known about the mpg problem i would have gone for the petrol version.

I couldn't agree more. Lexus dealers tell you this to make you go away. You will see a stepped change from 5000 miles, all of a sudden the engine is smoother, and your economy takes a leap. It was just after this they changed my 5th Injector, now I wish I'd put up with the vibrating mirror and slight coarseness - at least I could get more MPG - this is now costing me money!

PS HAS ANYONE with a 220D HIT the official figures yet consistently? Does anyone see over 50 mpg on a total motorway only run within legal speed limits? At any speed?

It is due a service in March, but it's only the 10k one, so an oil change for £185!

Yes, just about! No car I've ever had has consistently matched the official figures, but the Lexus gets the nearest most often.

My journey into work is the one I do most regularly. It's a fairly short, urban trip with more than a few traffic lights. The engine hasn't really warmed up by the time I get to work, but without fail I get 34-36mpg regardless of fuel brand. That figure will be at the lower end with enthusiastic use of the throttle, but even then it's impossible to get it any lower. I can even hit 40+ with extremely careful driving (but still at the speed limit, rather than dawdling at 20mph).

It does seem harder to achieve the figures at the other end of the spectrum on the extra-urban. If I do stick religiously to the speed limit, I'll get high 40s, low 50s depending on traffic (that's with a fairly heavily laden car too). The high 40s is easily achievable, the low 50s involves paying more attention to how I'm driving!

Yes, just about! No car I've ever had has consistently matched the official figures, but the Lexus gets the nearest most often.

My journey into work is the one I do most regularly. It's a fairly short, urban trip with more than a few traffic lights. The engine hasn't really warmed up by the time I get to work, but without fail I get 34-36mpg regardless of fuel brand. That figure will be at the lower end with enthusiastic use of the throttle, but even then it's impossible to get it any lower. I can even hit 40+ with extremely careful driving (but still at the speed limit, rather than dawdling at 20mph).

It does seem harder to achieve the figures at the other end of the spectrum on the extra-urban. If I do stick religiously to the speed limit, I'll get high 40s, low 50s depending on traffic (that's with a fairly heavily laden car too). The high 40s is easily achievable, the low 50s involves paying more attention to how I'm driving!

I am so puzzled. Do you use 6th at 70mph, 'cos I cannot get over 42mpg if I do?...if I use 5th at 70 I find 43-44mpg easier. I always managed to better stated Gov't figures with every car I have owned when used for business - my business mileage is Dual Carriageway and motorway almost from leaving my front door so the efficiancy whould always be there.

My regular jaunt to work is over 230 miles return - and that's 80% m/way and 20% fast A roads...yet even driving with a gentle foot I can manage 42-3mpg best!

I am so narked - I don't use the Lexus much for work (not as much as I used my previous cars), but I have to say, there ain' much point in keeping a car if it'll just sit in the garage...

So it'll be used in the 2nd year of ownership - I ain'y plannin' on keep it too long (if I can persuade the family) - there are plainly too many foibles with this so called luxury car...far too many! It's too quirky - needs far too many dealer visits - if only I'd listened to my Dad...who swears by the opposition (darker side)

PS - I do think tho' that the new 5th Injector has not helped the car from an MPG perspective...it is defo smoother though...!

As you can see, I'm havin' one of my "dispair moments"

Simon K and Cooper S mentioned on the 'Rattles Fixed' thread a while back that they had/were about to have the ECU reprogrammed on their 220d. Has anyone else had this done yet? If so, what has the result been in terms of driveability and fuel consumption? Can Simon and Cooper S give us an update?

My car went in on Tuesday for the ECU and it made no difference and is back there today. Before the work was done, I was told that this fix would completely change the car!! I've told them to road test the car before giving it back!

I am so puzzled. Do you use 6th at 70mph, 'cos I cannot get over 42mpg if I do?...if I use 5th at 70 I find 43-44mpg easier. I always managed to better stated Gov't figures with every car I have owned when used for business - my business mileage is Dual Carriageway and motorway almost from leaving my front door so the efficiancy whould always be there.

My regular jaunt to work is over 230 miles return - and that's 80% m/way and 20% fast A roads...yet even driving with a gentle foot I can manage 42-3mpg best!

I don't always use 6th at 70mph - it's happy at that speed, but for ease of overtaking, staying in 5th is sometimes better.

I've haven't tested it scientifically, but like you I do get the feeling that 6th is a bit weird with the economy! I reckon it's better than 5th for 75+ and on the flat. Any inclines and the engine labours and the economy plummets.

For comparison, the sort of journey where'd I'd comfortably get high 40s, low 50s would be a journey of 160 or so miles, would be 70% motorway, 20% dual carriageway, 5% urban, 5% country lanes. The motorway does include the M25, so there's often a stationary/crawling along phase! Maybe that's the key, make sure you spend at least an hour or two in a traffic jam, and your economy will go through the roof :P

I think my car is slightly later than yours (mine was May 2006) and all the tales of poor economy I read here just don't seem to fit with my experience (and believe me I've tried to make them fit, as it's the sort of thing I'd worry about!).

Anyone else with a 220d, pre/post May 06 want to ad anything? Harry - let me know what happens next...

My car can manage 42mpg on a long motorway run at around 70mph. Short journeys vary between 25-28mpg depending on winter or summer.

It went in yesterday for 12 month service, injector change, remap of ecu and alloy wheel replacement. Has not been returned yet as ecu locked up when being worked on. New ecu due next wednesday so will find out then of any improvement.

Anyone else with a 220d, pre/post May 06 want to ad anything? Harry - let me know what happens next...

My car can manage 42mpg on a long motorway run at around 70mph. Short journeys vary between 25-28mpg depending on winter or summer.

It went in yesterday for 12 month service, injector change, remap of ecu and alloy wheel replacement. Has not been returned yet as ecu locked up when being worked on. New ecu due next wednesday so will find out then of any improvement.

Are you having the 5th injector changed or the whole lot? If it is the lot was there a specific problem that made your dealer decide to do this? My dealer told me that they have changed the 5th injector on a few cars but only after there was a problem with the engine management system when it went into limp home mode and the problem was directly caused by this injector. My car has over 11000 miles on the clock and the fuel consumption, which I was told would get better the more miles went on the clock, is getting worse. This car just does not do what it says on the tin i.e. combined fuel consumption of 44.8. But then what can you expect from a car that shares (among other things) a start/stop button with a Yaris. Is this Lexus taking the p :tsktsk: or what :question:

Are you having the 5th injector changed or the whole lot? If it is the lot was there a specific problem that made your dealer decide to do this? My dealer told me that they have changed the 5th injector on a few cars but only after there was a problem with the engine management system when it went into limp home mode and the problem was directly caused by this injector. My car has over 11000 miles on the clock and the fuel consumption, which I was told would get better the more miles went on the clock, is getting worse. This car just does not do what it says on the tin i.e. combined fuel consumption of 44.8. But then what can you expect from a car that shares (among other things) a start/stop button with a Yaris. Is this Lexus taking the p :tsktsk: or what :question:

From what I have been told its only the 5th injector, the dealers know which vehicles are eligible but can only change if a fault occurs or is reported, as it is not a recall.

I am concerned about the continued alloy wheel problems, which seem to be continuing through to the new IS. It cant be that difficult to source non corroding alloys, non Japanese manufacturers seem to manage.

With this thread in mind I tried a little experiment on my way back up to the Midlands from London this evening.

First some history: The car is a late 06 model with just about 2000 miles now. My average fuel consumption reading was 34.3 mpg. 6th gear is practically redundant.

Tonight I joined the long slog out of London on the M40. Due to congestion at the London end I barely got out of 4th gear. I usually have the instant consumption reading showing and I noticed that even at 3000 RPM I appeared to be getting 40+ MPG. In fact I drove the next 70 or so miles, on cruise at 3100 RPM (clock indicated 80MPH), reset the average consumption reading, and achieved a stunning 42.2MPG!

Like most others here I thought that being in a higher gear with lower revs would equal better economy. It seems not. Perhaps the Diesel unit likes being worked a bit harder then you'd expect. Also, it was the first, in traffic, motorway journey I've had in the car where I wasn't having to change gear all the time. Bizarre I know, but there you go.

:hehe:

Chaps - felt the need to add to the discussion here. I've just picked up a fully specced IS250 SE-L Auto thinking that the mileage I cover wouldn't justify the need for a diesel; one of my friends has a 220d which regularly gives late 40's / early 50's performance re. mpg, bettering his previous Merc C220D!

My petrol auto offers early to mid 30's, and I'm typically driving only short distances (some of them to the dealer...)

Sounds like the petrol on average might be the better choice? Very disappointed to hear about the poor diesel performance in what is otherwise a fine vehicle.

Another friend drives an A4 1.9Tdi, regularly topping 45mpg, as does the BMW 320d.

I heard from my dealer that there had just been some new ECU downloads for improved diesel performance (mpg); I hope they're not the ones previously mentioned that seem to have made no difference. The Lexus Engineers won't been sitting still on this one - let's hope their striving for 'Customer Delight' delivers the goods in the not too distant...

PS HAS ANYONE with a 220D HIT the official figures yet consistently?

today I drove about 70kms extra urban (not motorway) with few stops and three cold starts (it was 10 degrees today) I drove with really easy foot, however I wasn't slowing the traffic down. I haven't used 6th at all. It showed 48mpg.

Last week I was returning from holiday (with ski and other heavy equipment in the boot), after 150kms (50kms highway, 100kms extra urban) I was again on 48mpg, but I drove it in a row and I enjoyed the drive, did some full throtle overtakings (100mph). I bet I would be over 50mpg if I was light footed.

we pay the price for the weight of the car and emissions.

BTW I never keep the rews under:

1500rpm on 3rd

1600rpm on 4th

1700rpm on 5th

1800rpm on 6th

This is when I drive in "normal" conditions.

When I drive in traffic jam, I keep the rews lower: engine pulls with no problems on 3rd from 1000rpm. However 4th struggles when is under 1500rpm. how strange...

The Lexus Engineers won't been sitting still on this one - let's hope their striving for 'Customer Delight' delivers the goods in the not too distant...

The auto is the car of choice, I have big regrets! You'd have to cover galactic mileage in the manual Diesel over the auto petrol to justify it (or so it is from my experience). maybe Lexus knew this, which is why they are pretty evenly priced!

Well it's been one year, and I reckon it's taken them that long to come up with the ECU mod, which so far hasn't seem to have worked. Maybe they haven't a clue...

Maybe some of us (majority) just can't drive...or at least can't drive a Lexus economically...

I wonder if the government can enforce a re-test to check the actual CO2 tests? I hate the thought of driving a car that kills more squirrels then it should be...or was sold to me as...

This is all very poor :duh:

PS - the theory of higher revs = more economy - well that would make the Sport superbly economical, which I believe it is not....so again, who really knows?

The Lexus Engineers won't been sitting still on this one - let's hope their striving for 'Customer Delight' delivers the goods in the not too distant...

The auto is the car of choice, I have big regrets! You'd have to cover galactic mileage in the manual Diesel over the auto petrol to justify it (or so it is from my experience). maybe Lexus knew this, which is why they are pretty evenly priced!

Well it's been one year, and I reckon it's taken them that long to come up with the ECU mod, which so far hasn't seem to have worked. Maybe they haven't a clue...

Maybe some of us (majority) just can't drive...or at least can't drive a Lexus economically...

I wonder if the government can enforce a re-test to check the actual CO2 tests? I hate the thought of driving a car that kills more squirrels then it should be...or was sold to me as...

This is all very poor :duh

PS - the theory of higher revs = more economy - well that would make the Sport superbly economical, which I believe it is not....so again, who really knows?

Looking at previous posts on this thread I noticed that someone mentioned that the 6th gear could be the nigger in the woodpile. I had also noticed that recently as my engine was freeing itself up, that I had been banging bessie into 6th at 60mph and plonking along at about 1500 rpm, assuming that this was going to give me better mpg. I also noticed that my litres per 100km sign was going in the wrong direction. From about 6.5l/100km up to 8.2l/lm last week. I dont know why I didn't realize it myself but when I read this thread I suddenly had a brainwave and decided to leave 6th gear alone altogether, and lo and behold my l/100kg is back down to 7l/km and going south. So I can say with great confidence STAY OUT OF 6TH if you want any kind of decent mileage. Oh yes, the car goes much better in 5th as well.

This weekend I have done the same as others and really taken interest in the mpg. Did a round trip to Lincoln cost on Saturday (244 miles) Lots of motorway and A and B roads and a crawl through Bradford. Reset the computer etc and at the end of the journey my average was 44mpg!!!! However it did get up to 48 at one stage. I have to agree with SiWhite that when using 4th rather than 5th gear on A and B roads the economy was far better. I can now use 6th at just over 70mph. This morning travelling into work I did the same checks, 8 miles of country and town roads highest speed 50mph only used 5th gear occasionally and got 51.3mpg!! The car never gets fully warm and was still on 1200rpm idle. The car has covered just under 2000 miles. I used to get that sort of figure on the same trip with my BMW and VW diesels. I was going to get the ecu reprogrammed but I dont know if I will now.

It must be the only diesel I know then which needs to be used in a lower gear to get decent economy...and I've driven a fair few diesels, so all this technology in this, one of the most advanced diesels in the world, has left most of trying to fathom it all out for ourselves! Thanks Lexus!

Something is clearly wrong...

Going back to my earlier point then - what about the Sport diesel? That has a different final drive ratio, which effectively mimmicks the car being one gear lower or so when compared to the Base/SE/SEL - surely that should give amazing economy?

I am convinced that something isn't quite right, and as usual, all Lexus have done is denied the problem, and then come out with a potential fix that don't do a lot!

A bit like my dash rattles'...

PS - I off to the Toymota forum, to see if the Verso/Rav/Avensis T180 suffers the same poor consumption problem (I suspect not).

OK guys - maybe a bit rash - but I have just posted THIS on the Avensis forum. I'd like to know how the avensis fairs - and bearing in mind that many could be company work horses being gallopped as opposed to trotted or cantered :lol:

You may be unsurprised to know that I couldn't find a duff MPG thread on that site... :duh:

PS - one thingis for sure though - when we went to the lakes and Scotland in August, I was very impressed with the economy. A lot of that driving was up and down roads like the Kirkstone pass, in 3rd etc, and the car was always 40+ MPG...so may be there is something to be said for opening up the throttle...

The high gearing could be detrimental!!

It must be the only diesel I know then which needs to be used in a lower gear to get decent economy...and I've driven a fair few diesels, so all this technology in this, one of the most advanced diesels in the world, has left most of trying to fathom it all out for ourselves! Thanks Lexus!

Something is clearly wrong...

Going back to my earlier point then - what about the Sport diesel? That has a different final drive ratio, which effectively mimmicks the car being one gear lower or so when compared to the Base/SE/SEL - surely that should give amazing economy?

I am convinced that something isn't quite right, and as usual, all Lexus have done is denied the problem, and then come out with a potential fix that don't do a lot!

A bit like my dash rattles'...

PS - I off to the Toymota forum, to see if the Verso/Rav/Avensis T180 suffers the same poor consumption problem (I suspect not).

I have driven a lot of diesels myself and agree that the characteristics of this car are not what I would have expected. My last car was a DCi X Trail 6 speed and it would pull very well in 5th and 6th. However economy was rubbish at 32mpg in 2 wheel drive mode. It also used to rattle like hell!! Previously I had VW and BMW they also pulled well with better economy around 50mpg. However I do think that you need to adjust your driving style, but that should not really be the case. It would be interesting to drive a sport and see what the difference was.

I would say that Im more than happy with the car, I would not go back to BMW or VW simply for rattles etc and in the case of the 3 series very poor build quality. I can live with the occasional cracking noise from the centre consol, slightly vibrating mirror.

Only one or two replies so far - the rest of 'em must be pounding the motorways!

Anyway - looks like low 40's is the norm...so I'm gonna stop complaining! The fact that it cannot hit the Gov't stated figures still bothers me... and so I feel cheated, and will have a word with my dealer when the service is due (next month).

Only one or two replies so far - the rest of 'em must be pounding the motorways!

Anyway - looks like low 40's is the norm...so I'm gonna stop complaining! The fact that it cannot hit the Gov't stated figures still bothers me... and so I feel cheated, and will have a word with my dealer when the service is due (next month).

Its the gearing thats at fault but they are not going to fix that under warranty!!

Its the gearing thats at fault but they are not going to fix that under warranty!!

True - like I've said it before - they tried to make the most powerful Diesel in this class the most economical too, and some how manged to fail both!! Unless you read the government figures, in which case it's very economical for it's type on paper. Or you want a "flash of performance" to stop a beemer overtaking you...just don't bother racing it at the lights...

Some people are hitting those MPG figures, dunno how, but they are, so there is hope! I just need to learn to drive again, after nearly 12 months with this car, I still feel as if I don't know it all. How sad, strange and true!

Oh well, I'll try again later this week when I go on a 300 mile run up norff!

Just one final point for this thread - I have never owned a car that has taken up so much of my life. And not for the right reasons. The Lexus experience has been a bit short against my expectation, and makes me feel a slight bit cheesed! All of the stuff - from the lost PEX cheques, rattles and assurances mine would be fine from manufacturer, lack of interest from LGB, so many visits for warranty work - etc - all very Halloween!

Here we are again then!

After Fridays re-visit (inc new alloys!) 31000 on the clock. Tomorrow off to Swansea, Thursday Lands End, and totalling 950miles.

The ECU fix does not work, so I have wasted another 2 days of my life and this car.

I have to say I feel well and truly ripped off! Lexus Leicester refuse to do the complete jet swap and then last week I read on here that Lexus Exeter are for other owners! :tsktsk:

I went looking at 320D yesterday but I am 12m into a 30m pcp so no escape there then!

Any ideas????

Here we are again then!

After Fridays re-visit (inc new alloys!) 31000 on the clock. Tomorrow off to Swansea, Thursday Lands End, and totalling 950miles.

The ECU fix does not work, so I have wasted another 2 days of my life and this car.

I have to say I feel well and truly ripped off! Lexus Leicester refuse to do the complete jet swap and then last week I read on here that Lexus Exeter are for other owners! :tsktsk:

I went looking at 320D yesterday but I am 12m into a 30m pcp so no escape there then!

Any ideas????

Smile, grin and bear it...

That's what I've resorted to. Oh well, another few more years, then I can afford to defect as Alan has!

PS - Harry - whereabouts in Leics are you?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links