Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

Ive put 12500 miles now on my IS220D SE and am still only returning upto a maximum of 40mpg on motorway driving cruising at about 75-80. has anyone heard from the dealers if there are any ways of improving economy? i run on texaco or shell wich does return better mpg that supermarket fuel but i was expecting a little more now the engines worn in.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive put 12500 miles now on my IS220D SE and am still only returning upto a maximum of 40mpg on motorway driving cruising at about 75-80. has anyone heard from the dealers if there are any ways of improving economy? i run on texaco or shell wich does return better mpg that supermarket fuel but i was expecting a little more now the engines worn in.

I've read elsewhere in the forums about new fuel injectors being fitted to later 220d's due to poor economy. Lexus/Toyota have also fitted them to Avensis and Rav4's, maybe worth having a word with the dealer see if they can be retro fitted

Check with your dealer - you may have an early IS220d with the faulty fuel injectors. Mine is a Jan 06 and now that I've had the modified injectors fitted I'm seeing an easy 45mpg, the ability to use 6th gear at 65 mph, much less vibration and the icing on the cake which is an improvement in performance :driving:

I've read elsewhere in the forums about new fuel injectors being fitted to later 220d's due to poor economy. Lexus/Toyota have also fitted them to Avensis and Rav4's, maybe worth having a word with the dealer see if they can be retro fitted

Ive just spoken to Lexus Leeds where i got the car and there service manager informes me that only the 5th injector is changed when there is an engine management system change/problem, he went on to say there are no ways of improving mpg only using quality fuel which i do??

any other thoughts?

Ive just spoken to Lexus Leeds where i got the car and there service manager informes me that only the 5th injector is changed when there is an engine management system change/problem, he went on to say there are no ways of improving mpg only using quality fuel which i do??

any other thoughts?

Ask him to speak to Richard at Lexus Poole - they swap out the injectors for new (modified) ones when customers complain about poor fuel economy; providing the car is an early (Jan/Feb 2006) model.

Since the injector swap, my mpg has gone from mid 30s to mid 40s and this is driving mostly motorway at 80 mph.

Leicester Lexus are looking into the Injector mod for my car.

Mine was Registered 17th March 06, but Delivered to UK on 9th March, so it would have been manufactured in Feb (allowing for time on the waves).

My car is border line I reckon - I can get reasonable fuel economy, and at times very good economy, but I do have to on the whole "try" except for the most recent journey from Cumbria. My previous oilers all would vary by 2-3mpg most, even if you cained them!! So I reckon the difference between good days and bad days is too great!!

I will know on Monday, though Leicester have not done an Injector mod yet.

For the record - BP fuel seems to give me much better economy than Sainsbo's cheap and nasty...

My run from Kendal to Leicester including a stop at SoT on BP diesel returned high 40's, but since then it's dropped to mid-high 20's in town, and low 40's at careful best on the motorway!!

The car is much smoother than before tho', and getting smooooother all the while!

PS - BTW Grant - your site is cool

My dealer has told me that the new cars ( diesels) now feel like a sport with 65mph in 6th possible alan

This was a pleasant surprise for me after the upgrade. I was expecting the improved fuel economy but didn't expect to be able to do 65 mph comfortably in sixth, and the car feels nippier throughout the gears.

All should be revealed tomorrow.

Mine has improved a lot, but 6th is still really a 75+ gear and anything below means down hill only, or huge reserves of patience as the engine settles, from that low vibrating thrum...

Scott - buddy how badly does your mirror shake now?

Alan - are you having yours checked out too?

All should be revealed tomorrow.

Mine has improved a lot, but 6th is still really a 75+ gear and anything below means down hill only, or huge reserves of patience as the engine settles, from that low vibrating thrum...

Alan - are you having yours checked out too?

Hi

Yes I will have mine checked I still find the petrol car doing about 41 mpg on the so I expect a big change after upgrade

alan

Much less mirror shake ... but still there. I normally stick the ML on 35-40 which dramatically increases the shake.

I guess we need to find out :

1) Which injectors did the early diesels have (Jan-Mar)

2) Which were on Mar/Apr onwards.

3) Which were installed on my car - are these the same as Mar/Apr onwards or a different set.

Much less mirror shake ... but still there. I normally stick the ML on 35-40 which dramatically increases the shake.

I guess we need to find out :

a) Which injectors did the early diesels have (Jan-Mar)

B) Which were on Mar/Apr onwards.

c) Which were installed on my car - are these the same as Mar/Apr onwards or a different set.

Problem is to find the exact build date Lexus say that their computer system does not give th exact date I find that hard to beleive

alan

You've hit the nail on the head.

Hopefully my man at Leicester Lexus will do some digging around and call me tomorrow. I will post back as soon as I hear (I have faith in him - he was the one that eradicated ALL rattles in my car).

I did say that I could give him a name of the man at Poole (Richard) but I was told it would probably not be necessary as the "system" should confirm this.

Hopefully my man at Leicester Lexus will do some digging around and call me tomorrow. I will post back as soon as I hear (I have faith in him - he was the one that eradicated ALL rattles in my car).

I did say that I could give him a name of the man at Poole (Richard) but I was told it would probably not be necessary as the "system" should confirm this.

Something which is bugging me is that if this is a known problem with a solution then where are the recall notices for those who are affected. Also, if there is a recall - will I still get another bottle of bubbly :lol:

Something which is bugging me is that if this is a known problem with a solution then where are the recall notices for those who are affected. Also, if there is a recall - will I still get another bottle of bubbly :lol:

:lol: Car booty time...or fleeeeBay...

Not all of the dealerships appear to have come across this. I have spoken to Leicester again today, and also given them Richards name.

Waiting with abaited breath...!

Hi Rick.

My IS220d is just about to go in for it's first service (sat at 10,400 miles as of today) and I'm kinda finding the differences in performance you guys are experiencing quite baffling.

My MPG readings are regularly 52mpg (Tank Avg) and it's running at 47.8mpg (Avg) since new (End of April - I presume it was maybe a March build).

I initially tested the car out and hurled it around a little, but as I'm doing an average mph of 50 on my 2 hour daily commute I take it a little easier now. I do around 100 M6 miles (at around 75-80) and around 100 A road (at around 35-40mph). I am not hanging around either. No sunday driving here. ;-)

The only thing I can think of that I'm doing over and above what everyone here seems to be doing is hitting 6th gear a lot earlier than you. I tend to hold onto 6th gear when I'm going as low as 45mph.

It may work for you lot too. Although it sounds like some of you are struggling using 6th, initially I was too. It seemed unusable until at least 80 early on. After about 3,000 miles though it seemed to become far easier to use.

Anyway. That's my experience of the IS220d, I may have a rare highly economical IS or it may work. Hopefully it does.

Happy days.

Well I've heard nothing since my original question to my dealer last week. I chased yesterday and they are working on it.

Moog - I reckon your's could have the modded injectors. If I go to anything below 55mph in 6th, the car feels as though it's about to stall...and below 75 the mirror is pretty bad, but no where nearly as bad as it was when the car was new.

I'm sure running the car at anything below 65 is bad - even the owners manual states 75+mph only...

The bottom line is I you have to keep the RPM between 1600 and 1800 to get best economy mixed with reasonable responsiveness, especially if you want to get high 40's or low 50's...I really do have to try. I've never had to try so hard, on reflection, with any diesel I've ever owned to get consistency.

I'm seriously questioning the idea of a powerful diesel, or certainly a Lexus one.

My mate who has an '06 plated A4 170bhp is now getting high 40's and low 50's on motor way runs without ANY trouble, and I have seen this first hand today!!! He can easily beat the government figures of 44 without any trouble...That car has done 3500 miles, and the power band is very flat, available from 1600 and through to well into 4000RPM.

In some ways I would like to know what MPG 220d owners who have cars ordered and delivered since 1st September are getting.

Anyone??

(Sarcasm Warning)

I think I can now clarify the injector issue.

I called my dealer this morning and they got on to Lexus Ireland.

Lexus Ireland have not been informed of any mods.

There have been no complaints about the diesel engine.

When they heard I was responding to a website post they advised me not to pay attention to these.

"It is usually one guy with a gripe who starts all this."

"The reason the 6th gear is useless is because the car was designed for countries like the US and the UK where they have lots of motorways and speed limits on motorways are much higher so they can use 6th gear."

I am now suitably chastened.

Jim

My mate who has an '06 plated A4 170bhp is now getting high 40's and low 50's on motor way runs without ANY trouble, and I have seen this first hand today!!! He can easily beat the government figures of 44 without any trouble...That car has done 3500 miles, and the power band is very flat, available from 1600 and through to well into 4000RPM.

In some ways I would like to know what MPG 220d owners who have cars ordered and delivered since 1st September are getting.

Anyone??

He's doing well, our last three 2.0Tdi A4s have never averaged more than 43mpg.

(Sarcasm Warning)

I think I can now clarify the injector issue.

I called my dealer this morning and they got on to Lexus Ireland.

Lexus Ireland have not been informed of any mods.

There have been no complaints about the diesel engine.

When they heard I was responding to a website post they advised me not to pay attention to these.

"It is usually one guy with a gripe who starts all this."

"The reason the 6th gear is useless is because the car was designed for countries like the US and the UK where they have lots of motorways and speed limits on motorways are much higher so they can use 6th gear."

I am now suitably chastened.

Jim

Sometimes I wish people like that would just keep their mouth shut and not say anything rather then try to fob you off with incorrect information.

Yes there are more motorways in the UK and USA but the speed limit here is higher then the UK in all cases (UK limit is 70mph) and the US in most States the Limit is 70mph and 80mph on some interstate routes.

Our limit is 120km/h (74.5mph) all of 5.5mph less then the highest in the US.

Anyone??

He's doing well, our last three 2.0Tdi A4s have never averaged more than 43mpg.

NBLG - Have you hadago in the 170bhp version? I drove it a short distance (2-3 miles). I found it noisier than the Lex engine, but the gearing is much better. Also, the MPG readout of 51.4 the other day was as quoted by the trip.

He told me yesterday that manual calculation on a tank full of mixed = 45.5mpg, so it's on a par with the Lexus 220d driven carefully.

OFF TOPIC The biggest disappointments for me with an Audi are:

The interior - very drab

Front wheel drive = some steering tug, especially when you release that Torque and horses...

Overall Lexus is much better all round.