Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

yesterday I drove 140kms in Austria - 20kms in Vienna, 10kms on higway (140kph, only place where I used 6th) and the rest on country roads and villages (country road 100kph, village 50kph)

consumption 5,4 equals to 52,3 mpg

The worst part was Vienna, on arrival I had 5,3 (53,3mpg) and when leaving 5,8 (48,7mpg)

I bet if I was doing only country roads, I would be on 5,0 (56,5mpg)

PS: I realized, that when driving in mixed occasions (city, highway, country roads) the board computers shows the consumption pretty accurate, while when driving most on highway at 140-150kph (88-94mph) the BC shows 1,4mpg _less_ than reality. DO you have the same experience?

HI Matus

Like you...I do a fair amount of mixed driving as in Town & Country (No Motorway) I've currently got 6700klms on the clock and overall since the beginning I have now 6.4 litres per 100klm performance or 44.1 mpg for the last 4000+ miles. My current tank was filled to the top and at halfway usage I'm on 5.5 litres per 100 klm or 51.4 mpg... This is beyond the expectation of many but clearly achievable in the 2007 model...NEW 27th Jan 2007.

On the downside it clearly shows that the earlier models have something that is not quite right whether it's Hardware or Software is yet to be found out. Injectors or ECU remapping appear to be making a difference to some owners but when mine goes in for service I'll be saying loud and clear don't try to fix anything that is clearly not broken.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday I drove 140kms in Austria - 20kms in Vienna, 10kms on higway (140kph, only place where I used 6th) and the rest on country roads and villages (country road 100kph, village 50kph)

consumption 5,4 equals to 52,3 mpg

The worst part was Vienna, on arrival I had 5,3 (53,3mpg) and when leaving 5,8 (48,7mpg)

I bet if I was doing only country roads, I would be on 5,0 (56,5mpg)

PS: I realized, that when driving in mixed occasions (city, highway, country roads) the board computers shows the consumption pretty accurate, while when driving most on highway at 140-150kph (88-94mph) the BC shows 1,4mpg _less_ than reality. DO you have the same experience?

HI Matus

Like you...I do a fair amount of mixed driving as in Town & Country (No Motorway) I've currently got 6700klms on the clock and overall since the beginning I have now 6.4 litres per 100klm performance or 44.1 mpg for the last 4000+ miles. My current tank was filled to the top and at halfway usage I'm on 5.5 litres per 100 klm or 51.4 mpg... This is beyond the expectation of many but clearly achievable in the 2007 model...NEW 27th Jan 2007.

On the downside it clearly shows that the earlier models have something that is not quite right whether it's Hardware or Software is yet to be found out. Injectors or ECU remapping appear to be making a difference to some owners but when mine goes in for service I'll be saying loud and clear don't try to fix anything that is clearly not broken.

Can I suggest a slight change to your wording? Some of the earlier models have something that is not quite right. Mine's a May 06 and comfortably achieves the sort of figures you're getting. I've seen over 60 on a drive in the country.

Can I suggest a slight change to your wording? Some of the earlier models have something that is not quite right. Mine's a May 06 and comfortably achieves the sort of figures you're getting. I've seen over 60 on a drive in the country.

60?!

How on earth have you managed to achieve that sort of figure?

60?!

Best I've achieved was 4.8 litres per 100klms = 58.9 mpg...YEP! it can be done...regularly.

You're probably correct it appears to be SOME of the earlier models I based my assumption on the posts here...Most early model owners on this forum seem to have a valid gripe when you read about their IS220Ds performance.

60?!

With relatively gentle driving and staying off boost. I wasn't trying that hard though!

Just to prove I'm not telling porkies:

60+

It was actually at 65 until I headed back into town and hit the traffic lights.

That's the strange thing. In mine, to get 45+mpg, I have to try very very hard, and I am not heavy footed. Even when I'm in a rush I stick to the speed limits!!

I've only ever seen 50+ twice, for short periods of time on long 50mph "speed camera'd" straight roads, so I am truly amazed at what you guys achieve.

Romaro/VrrmVrrm - what fuel do you use - which brand I mean?

That's the strange thing. In mine, to get 45+mpg, I have to try very very hard, and I am not heavy footed. Even when I'm in a rush I stick to the speed limits!!

I've only ever seen 50+ twice, for short periods of time on long 50mph "speed camera'd" straight roads, so I am truly amazed at what you guys achieve.

Hi Jamboo

The fuel I've always used whether I had petrol or diesel cars is always ESSO...like I said recently the current tank has done average 51.4 mpg for the last 250 miles

Hi Jamboo

The fuel I've always used whether I had petrol or diesel cars is always ESSO...like I said recently the current tank has done average 51.4 mpg for the last 250 miles

I'm not too fussy about fuel - normally Shell, although the stuff from the Sainsburys near me seems okay. I did notice a small but noticeable drop in fuel economy with Tesco diesel.

I've just done a trip to the Alps - one of the places I filled up with just off the autoroute really hit fuel economy seriously - it dropped by nearly 10mpg! So I think the quality of the fuel can make a big difference to the car - which makes sense given what must being going on to make it one of the cleanest and least polluting diesel engines around.

60?!

Funny, I can smell it to! :whistling:

60?!

Smell what? You wouldn't be impugning my good name would you? :ohmy:

Don't get me wrong - I don't drive around getting 60 all the time, I've only managed it a couple of times and it was in a very specific set of circumstances (which I can describe if you're that interested!).

Normally I get mid to high forties, fifty plus on a long motorway run (if I'm sticking to the speed limit). Mid-thirties if I'm being enthusiastic...

60?!

Smell what? You wouldn't be impugning my good name would you? :ohmy:

Don't get me wrong - I don't drive around getting 60 all the time, I've only managed it a couple of times and it was in a very specific set of circumstances (which I can describe if you're that interested!).

Normally I get mid to high forties, fifty plus on a long motorway run (if I'm sticking to the speed limit). Mid-thirties if I'm being enthusiastic...

I've just read your posting last year - SHOCKED!! :ohmy:

Its a very random car and poss why I can't help loving it even though i've tried otherwise!! :excl:

As someone who is heavy footed and is an expedient driver and likes to get where i am going in good time and likes to have the Aircon on all the time., The fuel economy stinks for a diesel i had a Mark5 Golf GT TDI company car before this and i would thrash the pants off it and it always return over 40 mpg.

With the IS220SE the best i have ever got on a Normal run "80-90" on motorway is 35 mpg and then if i want to overtake the caravan owners club or old dears in the Nissan Micras doing 40 on the A roads on the way home this can drop to as low as 30 on a 150 mile trip to work and back.

This car has now done 20K and had the injectors changed as when i first got it it ran rougher than a Massey Fergerson and was getting the same mileage as above.

I have never felt i was getting 177bhp and the sixth gear is unusable below 75mph. I was promised sporty performance and good fuel economy (over 40mpg) :angry:

I had just had the ECU update on wednesday but haven't yet seen if that has done any goods as it is now at the body shop after an accident yesterday. :tsktsk:

Crashed it

Could of brought a 330D or 530D or Merc320SDI and got the same mileage and the same if not more power.

Overall won't be waiting till the end of the 36 month lease before I trade out. Back to Petrol and sod the MPG.

Hi everyone, I am new to LOC and this is my first post.

About 6 weeks ago I purchased my first Lexus, an IS220D first registered in June 2006. Overall I am very pleased with it. Before buying the car I had browsed this site and had read all the postings about fuel economy. I was hoping that my car wasn't going to suffer from this problem. However, this seems not to be the case and I am experiencing similar problems to others on this board, including the 6th gear issue. Two thirds of my daily commute of 70 miles takes me on A roads and motorway with the final third through urban rat runs. The best I am recording is 39mpg. I think I should expect to do better than this on the basis of the publicity data for the car.

I have been back to the dealer (Lexus Croydon), who said they had to contact Lexus GB about this. After 10 days I contacted them again and they will now take the car in and have a look at it next Wednesday. The point of my post is to seek your comment on what you think the outcome of my approach to the dealer may be and any tactics that have worked for you in getting them to take the matter seriously and deal with it!

Any feedback would be very much appreciated by this newbie!

Thought I would add an update to my post above, having now got the car back from the dealer after they had it for 2 days. I had a number of conversations with the service manager who seemed very genuine and went to some lengths to look into the issues for me. I advised him what I had read on this board, particularly the discussion on ECU mapping. He told me that they would not be able to do anything with regard to mapping as he was not aware of any new software from the manufacturer which would allow him to do this. What they could do, and in fact have done, is to recalibrate the ECU, whatever that means. Not done enough mileage yet to see if there is any improvement.

On the horrible vibration when using 6th gear below about 70 mph they concluded that some bushes needed to be changed associated with the rear axle??? This will be a 6 hour job and the car will have to go back again.

Interested in any thoughts others may have on this.

Thought I would add an update to my post above, having now got the car back from the dealer after they had it for 2 days. I had a number of conversations with the service manager who seemed very genuine and went to some lengths to look into the issues for me. I advised him what I had read on this board, particularly the discussion on ECU mapping. He told me that they would not be able to do anything with regard to mapping as he was not aware of any new software from the manufacturer which would allow him to do this. What they could do, and in fact have done, is to recalibrate the ECU, whatever that means. Not done enough mileage yet to see if there is any improvement.

On the horrible vibration when using 6th gear below about 70 mph they concluded that some bushes needed to be changed associated with the rear axle??? This will be a 6 hour job and the car will have to go back again.

Interested in any thoughts others may have on this.

I think they've taken a right turn off sanity main street with those bushes.

The only thing the bushes could do is help absorb the vibrations, and since 70mph in 5th is fine, it's got to engine related. (It doesn't *have* to be, but sensible allowances here should say so).

The ECU re-map is not designed to improve economy, it is designed to improve off boots flexibility to 'help' with the over geared 6th etc and reduce noise. If some have experience an improvement in mpg, good for you, but that was not it's purpose.

First, HELLO. my first post here.

i've been a fan of the site for a while and signed myself recently mainly to respond to this one quote and pose a question.

Being quite a technically gifted person and having a fair grasp of the working of cars, engine and gearboxes etc how can an ECU download cure the mechanical fault of a vehicle being overgeared?

Cheers!

my car is 12/2005

Being quite a technically gifted person and having a fair grasp of the working of cars, engine and gearboxes etc how can an ECU download cure the mechanical fault of a vehicle being overgeared?

Cheers!

refine the power & torque delivery curve, increase the midrange power and torque...

Just a quick note on the difference the sport gearing makes. I just had an SE for four days (while Lexus re-sprayed my rear bumper and boot orange :o ...but thats another story - going back to see the bodyshop manager on Monday). I easily got 39-40mpg where my sport usually gets 30-33 for the same journey/driving style.

Tank by Tank since 27th Jan 2007

LEXUS Economy

Litres........Klms.........Litres/100km........Gallons........Mpg........Distance Miles

52.21........813...........6.42.....................11.48.........44.14........505

45.88........604...........7.60.....................10.09.........37.67........375

34.07........502...........6.79.......................7.49.........42.16........312

38.07........600...........6.35.......................8.37.........44.84........373

45.46........684...........6.65.....................10.00.........42.80........425

36.04........578...........6.24.......................7.93.........45.56........359

46.23........700...........6.60.....................10.17.........42.80........435

43.99........681...........6.46.......................9.68.........44.14........423

26.20........420...........6.24.......................5.76.........45.56........261

41.70........658...........6.34.......................9.17.........44.84........409

43.10........761...........5.66.......................9.48.........50.45........473

Average

41.00........636...........6.48.....................9.06...........44.09.......395

Total

452.95.....7001.........................................................................4350

• 4 weeks later...

It took some time to read, but I have read all of this thread, so just thought I would add to it.

My 220d SEL MM is a Dec05 so I guess one of the early ones, and previoulsy owned by Lexus, bought it with a low mileage 6mths or so old.

I have never really been bothered with the fuel economy, but have found that it is not near the stated figures 37mpg on average (but then rarely is any car) I just put it down to being a heavy car and the euroV strangling it a bit, just look at the performance figures compared to other makes with 170bhp and it is slow in comparison, but then did any one of us buy it for sporty performance? I doubt it, and I leave that to weekend in the Porker.

It is the quietest and smoothest car I have driven and that is also compared to the petrol ones I have owned. It has never had to go to the dealer except for the 10K service. It will be coming up to the 20K soon and the only thing I have is a slight occasional rattle to the right of the dash and the alloys are corroding, but I understand that may be a common thing with Lexus/Japanese cars.

The 6th gear rumble has improved quite a bit over time and added mileage, it is much less evident than when I first bought it and now I can run 6th down to 70mph or even 65mph even up hills (motorway hills so nothing too serious) it will accelerate too. It is more comfortable however to use 6th at just about 2K revs.

I do tend to try and keep it running around the 2K mark and change gears accordingly.

After reading this thread I may have some other things to ask the dealer about when it goes in such as injectors and ecu software bearing in mind my MPG although I understand that either of these items may make no difference.

Overall I am extremely happy with the car, with the comfort the technical and safety aspects, but mainly value. I compared the spec to other makers and they cannot get near to it without spending in the region of 7K on options and even then some that the Lexus has are not available, not that all of them are needed, but even now how do Audi for example get away with charging £495 for keyless entry and start? ( I cant see the point of starter buttons that you still have to put a key in somewhere). This makes the opposition much more expensive, and to a certain extent I know the resale values of the Lexus with an MM system won't be apprieciably different to one without, but I doubt you would recover anywhere near the 7K of options on the other makes.

I think I made the sensible choice, but going by the MPG and manual gearbox only I think I should have gone for the IS250 auto (the only reason I didn't is due to having fuel paid for my work and limiting me to buying a car that betters 35mpg) It is on my mind to change to the 250, ditch the fuel card and claim my business miles back after, if I could find a nearly new SEL MM as they seem quite rare!

Thanks for reading.

My car's just coming up to 1700 now.

I've found the fuel economy has jumped twice, once around 800 and once around 1500.

Now the car manages 39mpg in mostly urban conditions.

The thing about this is that I really do nurse the economy quite desperately.

On a long journey of half motorway half urban it got 45mpg.

I also have very few complaints.

I'm a bit more bothered by an occasional dash rattle than you, it seems, but I'm a bit picky.

I think the gearbox is the weakest point in the car, and I would definitely consider a 250.

Like you, I'd definitely want SEL and MM.

For me the luxury in the SEL really does define the car, and I love all of the extras.

I also think that auto is the only way to go with the petrol, since it's such a good gearbox.

However I'm thinking that Lexus may well produce a hybrid IS.

I'd be very interested in this, since it might have a smaller engine and really produce an extremely good economy, as opposed to the gs which is just offsetting the performance to turn a thirsty car into a economic car.

If they did then I think I'd go for that over the petrol.

"It promises to set a fresh standard in the hybrid technology to which Lexus is totally committed and we are very excited about it. But before we expand at the top end of the market, we will also be adding to the hybrid offer at the lower end of our range.”

Since IS is the only thing "lower" than the current GS hybrid offering, I guess my hopes aren't absurd.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links