Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Query - Ncb

Fargo

just wondering, if you have an accident and its your fault then i understand you lose ALL your NCB,

ifyou have an accident and your not at fault you dont lose your NCB, so is it fair to say that if you have an accident and the blame is 80/20 in your favour then you should lose part of your NCB..

is this the general practice with insurance firms...

is this the general practice with insurance firms...

The general practice of the insurance industry is legalised rape :blink:

If you have a protected NC policy you usually get to make two claims within a three year period (subject to the small print) and keep whatever NCB you have.

If you don't have a protected policy, irrespective of fault you will lose the NCB.

Mrs M was involved in a "not at fault" accident last year (which was reported at the scene by Police) but still lost any entiltement. :angry:

just wondering, if you have an accident and its your fault then i understand you lose ALL your NCB,

ifyou have an accident and your not at fault you dont lose your NCB, so is it fair to say that if you have an accident and the blame is 80/20 in your favour then you should lose part of your NCB..

Do they do that now? I had no idea you could have an 80/20 result - how can that even happen?

Although if you have a claim, don't you just lose 2 years no claims?

Mrs M was involved in a "not at fault" accident last year (which was reported at the scene by Police) but still lost any entiltement. :angry:

It is absolutely ridiculous when things like this happen - I hate the fact nowadays insurance companies prefer to end most things as 50:50 to make sure they both end up better off :angry::angry:

just sorting this out now, im on hold with adrian flux. had an accident last year, i was not at fault but 3rd party was arguing, they asked for a 50/50 blame, i said no, they then come back with 70/30 then 60/40 an dfinally 80/20 which my solictor said take. whilst this is going on my 3NCB is zeroed

so ive looked through the t&c of the underwriters and it say i lose a %, so i should be down to 1NCB, but the new policy i have via adrian flux is at 0NCB

i spoke to claims dept to confirm this and they say the claim is still open (15months later) and i should have 1 NCB ,seems that the claim has only just been closed (coincidently after i queried it)

so upshot is they are refunding me 500 quid difference on my current policy and i now am the proud owner of 1 NCB...

just sorting this out now, im on hold with adrian flux. had an accident last year, i was not at fault but 3rd party was arguing, they asked for a 50/50 blame, i said no, they then come back with 70/30 then 60/40 an dfinally 80/20 which my solictor said take. whilst this is going on my 3NCB is zeroed

so ive looked through the t&c of the underwriters and it say i lose a %, so i should be down to 1NCB, but the new policy i have via adrian flux is at 0NCB

i spoke to claims dept to confirm this and they say the claim is still open (15months later) and i should have 1 NCB ,seems that the claim has only just been closed (coincidently after i queried it)

so upshot is they are refunding me 500 quid difference on my current policy and i now am the proud owner of 1 NCB...

Same thing has happened to me before - got hit by an uninsured driver who lied about all his details. I paid for it as the repair was less than my excess so they didn't pay anything out, made no effort to find the guy, but they still kept the claim open. When my renewal came round I had somehow lost 2yrs NCD and my premium had risen dramatically. It was only when I specifically told them to close the claim that they gave back the NCD and sent me a proper renewal :angry:

Can't believe they removed all of your bonus, I was pretty sure that with most insurers you only lose 2 yrs if you have a claim against you ;)

Glad it got sorted though, must be nice to have the extra bonus and a bit of extra cash too :D

Insurance seems just like a legality nowadays, i mean how does it protect the motorist it just rips them off and even more so if you claim which is what its meant to be there for in the first place.

By the way, whats the deal with how long NCD is valid for if it hasn't been used?

I lost 2years but I think it depends on the company, best thing to do is ring them an get the facts...

Another question, lets say u lose ur NCB's do u start collecting them again from renewal or straight away?

By the way, whats the deal with how long NCD is valid for if it hasn't been used?
As far as I know it doesn't expire, but if it does, I'm sure it'll be after many years :)
Another question, lets say u lose ur NCB's do u start collecting them again from renewal or straight away?
Just been studying all this stuff for exams.... :duh:

NCD is based on claim-free "years", so after a claim in a year, you will only start accruing NCD again from the start of the next policy year.

Protected NCB is one of the biggest cons going. Sure you can have a protected 60% NCB on a premium of , say, £1000 meaning you pay £400 a year.

Then you have an accident and make a claim. Come renewal time you still have your protected 60% NCB but now the premium is £1500 meaning you pay £600.

Sounds like it varies from company to company. After *** knows how many years of careful driving, I had two accidents in quick succession :duh: before buying the GS. The first was a 50/50 the second was my fault adn each time I lost 2 years NCB. My accident a couple of weeks ago may rumble on a bit as the bint that ploughed into me is disputing liability. Hopefully the evidence I have accrued will be in my favour as I can't afford teenage insurance.

:offtopic: I can't afford the excess either as I am getting married next weekend and my hard-earned has to be diverted elsewhere :whistling:

Protected NCB is one of the biggest cons going. Sure you can have a protected 60% NCB on a premium of , say, £1000 meaning you pay £400 a year.

Then you have an accident and make a claim. Come renewal time you still have your protected 60% NCB but now the premium is £1500 meaning you pay £600.

Protection isn't the con - its insurance overall that's the con as it manages to find a way to charge you more, despite having a fixed level of discount...... :angry:

Although I'd question the intelligence of anyone who doesn't have protection if they have full no claims, as with the level of drivers on the roads now, its all too easy to have many silly accidents, and then you're back to square one ;)

Thats not right....i have a protectected NCB (9yrs) i had a small accident resulting in £1200 of damage,it was fixed and the following year i still had 9yrs(fact)

If its a split % and you agree to it then you are basically accepting part of the blame so i would expect that you would lose some of your NCB.......you should always go for a Protected NCB policy.

Thats not right....i have a protectected NCB (9yrs) i had a small accident resulting in £1200 of damage,it was fixed and the following year i still had 9yrs(fact)

It is right, as I said you don't lose the NCB but they can try and claw some back by upping the starting premium.