Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got My New Car!

Fidgits

Hi,

Is there still warranty on your 996 Fidgits.

I was talking to a guy on a Porsche club stand up at Castle Combe on Saturday about his 928.

We got talking and i said that someone on a forum im on had just bought a 996.

He said i hope he still has warranty on the car because the engine has oil seal problems,Porsche will not sale just the oil seal,you have to buy a new engine from them :crybaby:

Not that ive got the money to buy a Porsche,but he said to stay well away from the 996 :ohmy:

I will you Happy Motoring and dont mean to put a damperer on this thread :shutit:

I just thought you should know about what the guy said to me.

Chips.

Very nice Ian, as ive told you before when we were discussing these cars, i had a 993 in Germany for a few years......

its good when you get the chance to have a childhood wish realized

Hey mat - well yes we did discuss this recently - and i have to say - it is actually better than I ever imagined..

And you'll have to pop up for a brew and a nosey sometime :D

And chips - there is a lot of scaremongering about the 996's, and the RMS especially.

FACT: All flat-6 engines leak - and the RMS goes on the 993's too.

the RMS (rear main seal) is just a rubber washer - so like any rubber, it wears out - and will 'sweat' oil. Its not a big problem - you just get a few drops of oil on your driveway (part of the 911 ownership experience), only if you ignore it for years will it finally perish to the point you loose all the oil out of the engine - and considering there is an oil level check at startup, and an oil pressure gauge, you'd have to be pretty dense to suffer from it. It costs about 2p to replace - the only downside is the labour - but then you get it done the same time as the clutch, or as you said, under warranty...

So all i will say is, take what you hear with a pinch of salt, ive been around the forums, heard the horror stories, but also heard the flip side... yes there can be problems, but lets face it, compare it to a ferrari!

But yes, mine came with a warranty :winky: because it was worth my peace of mind :D

Congratulations Fidgits and hope it is all you ever hoped it would be!

However, there was a two page article in Autocar some months ago about buying a 2nd hand 996 and things to look out for.

If I am not wrong the article talked about the most common issue with the engine being a leaking rear crankshaft seal. It went on to mention that it was an engine-out job to replace the worn down seal. The article also mentioned that the cylinder head gaskets can go with the result that water gets into a cylinder so that when you start the engine the liner cracks and the rod bends - a new engine please, 10k a pop. There is no pattern to the engine failures and can happen to low-mileage just as well as high-mileage cars.

There are other issues as well, such as with the gearbox sometimes jumping out of 2nd - but this is not a common problem. However, if this does happen it means a new gearbox because apparently Porsche don't replace just the layshaft bearing.

Of course I am hoping this is not the case with your baby since you said you have done your research and so I wish you all the reliability that German cars are (were) famous for.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links