Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got My New Car!

Fidgits

Picked up my new car today... :D

Still have the IS200 though - although I have had some interest from Autotrader, although i figure it wont cost me much to run it for the next 6-12 months, so i might just hang onto it to offset the fuel costs of the new car! :lol:

Something I posted on another forum

Today started like most other. I crawled out of bed into the shower, enjoyed my first cup of coffee while watching my emails download.

However, today was a special day, one 29 years in the making (or at least 19 anyway), it was the day I bought my first 911.

The down side to this was the 2 hour train journey to begin with, having to change trains twice wasnt exactly ideal, but the journey was relatively painless.

Dave (carrera2) met me at the station in his new toy, and we headed back to 'do the deal'...

Once the formalities had been dealt with, I had a twinge of guilt as I drove my new 996 away from its former owner and headed home.

My first experience of the 911 was, well, town centre traffic and roadworks. I seemed to be stationary forever, and when I did finally get to move, it was just a few feet. I continued to crawl through, although enjoying the view of the car reflected in shop windows, and finally got to the M25 to be met with more congestion.

I shouldnt be surprised really, but i had hoped the chance at a blast on the motorway would put that big grin on my face, as i couldnt help thinking how ordinary the car felt. Sure the clutch was a little meaty, and the flat 6 sound was enticing, but crawling along at 20mph the porsche felt like any other.

It wasnt until i pulled onto the M4 did the traffic open out, and with a squeeze of the throttle I remebered why I wanted one so much. It rocketed ahead, seemingly defying the laws of physics, with the acceleration not letting up as I climbed the gearbox.

I had to conciously back off the throttle before the digital speedo read a far too illegal speed for my liking, and then i settled into a nice cruise, and the jet fighter became an everday car once again.

This, I reminded myself, was the 996's trump card - it had all the power and performance of the modern sports car, but could be used everyday, you could have a relaxing motorway cruise in it, and that was great.

It wasnt long until the fuel light came on, and i started having to decide what to do - I figured I wouldnt make it home, and I knew petrol stations in Reading, although a little further away, I figured I'd make it.

As I pulled off the M4 a deer ran out of the brush and across the dual carrigeway infront of me - I leaned heavily on the brakes, the porsche performing amazingly...

It seems it can cheat physics in both directions.

Once at the pump, I stood and admired my new car - it really does look fantastic, i couldnt help but smile to myself, well, that was until i realised how much fuel she had eaten in a single sitting!

But I headed back to the motorway, and driving through reading suddenly realised how many people watched the car go by. I was amazed at the stares I received...

Back out on the motorway, again I couldnt believe how effortlessly the car picked up speed, which meant I drove with one eye on the road, another on the digital speedo and a third on the rapidly dropping petrol gauge.

Once off the motorway, and onto the NSL near my home, I took it easy, for as comfortable and easy to drive the 996 is, it is still a car you have to respect - and with the new rear tyres its probably best not to push my talent or luck.

So, I finally arrive home, pull up on my drive, smiling to myself that I finally had a 911.

I just need to see if it'll fit in the garage now

Fantastic!

Wow mate that really is a beautiful car, stunning in fact!

You kept this one really quiet, but that is definitely a step up in the right direction :D

Let's have some more pics and specs please, or even just loads more pics :)

Congratulations mate, can't wait to see it at some point, are you still going to go to all the big meets etc to show it off?

Thanks guys :D

Its a Porsche 911 (obviously) 996.

3.4 300bhp and 350NM of torque in a car that weighs less than the IS200

0-60 sub 5 secs and top end of just short of 180mph (apparantly)

I've driven some fast road cars over the last couple of years searching for my new one. Evo VIII's (320), TVR's, 350Z's, M3's etc... and I have to say, the porsche feels the fastest out of all of them. It doesnt accelerate like a normal car, it seems to bend space so that you arrive at the horizon sooner than you ever thought possible...

Just a small squeeze on the throttle and it slams you into your seat..

And yet, i drove it from London to home this afternoon, in heavy traffic, and while not quite as good as the IS on the long distant front, I still got out after 2 hours feeling pretty good.

Very Nice Well Done :sick:

do you not like it? :blink:

Dude! An IS200 to a 911! Nice step up :winky:

Awesome looking car, you're absolutely right, it is the perfect everyday supercar - nothing comes close at doing both so well B)

Looks in mint condition too, enjoy yourself! :D (like I have to tell you.......)

Nice new motor! The feeling will last for some time to come... :D

Just out of interest, what's the maintenance side of it like. i.e servicing, tyres etc? Do porsche have wooden sticks on standby :lol:

Surprisingly reasonable...

Infact, regular servicing isnt much more than the IS... its every 12k, with a biggie every 48k rather than 60k with the lex...

the only pricey maintence is the things like clutch and brakes (latter needs regular overhauls at £1k a pop) - thankfully both have been recently done..

nice one Ian :D

now go wash it :lol:

sorry, im too busy driving it! :lol: