Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Since cleaning my MAF Sensor and Throttle Body i have noticed better MPG

But i still do not think it is good enough.

I put £20 in the car (23 litres) and got 90 miles. This was around town with lots of cold starts.

I worked it out to be approx 17MPG

Can other owners add to this thread what they are getting out of their GS??

I shall be testing motorway runs this weekend.. would be good to get some figures.

many thanks

Last tank I averaged 23mpg and the tank before that 20mpg. Thats according to trip computer anyway ( we know they are not that accurate ). That is also a mix of about 50/50 town and motorway driving.

Around town its a lot less, between 15 and 19 ish :(

BTW is it a DIY job to clean the MAF and throttle body?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply

Yes its very easy to clean. I bought some alchohol spray from maplins for the MAF and carb cleaner for the throttle body.

removed the MAF sensor by unplugging the sensor on the intake, then unbolting it. You will see the sensor.. 2 wires inside the air tube.... spay it with the alcohol... clean up the rubber and edges and put a bit of engine oil on the rubber to get the seal.

for the Throttle body i bought some carb cleaner from Halfords, removed the air intake tube from the body and sprayed the inside throttle body... wipe away the excess fluid. Sparyed it about 4 times as I found the excess fluid flushed out the black gunk.

Instantly the car feels more punchy and much better MPG.

Would be good to get all GS300 owners to put £20 in their car and report how many miles they get and what conditions. :)

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply

Yes its very easy to clean. I bought some alchohol spray from maplins for the MAF and carb cleaner for the throttle body.

removed the MAF sensor by unplugging the sensor on the intake, then unbolting it. You will see the sensor.. 2 wires inside the air tube.... spay it with the alcohol... clean up the rubber and edges and put a bit of engine oil on the rubber to get the seal.

for the Throttle body i bought some carb cleaner from halfords, removed the air intake tube from the body and sprayed the inside throttle body... wipe away the excess fluid. Sparyed it about 4 times as I found the excess fluid flushed out the black gunk.

Instantly the car feels more punchy and much better MPG.

Would be good to get all GS300 owners to put £20 in their car and report how many miles they get and what conditions. :)

Cheers fella,

dont sound too bad. I think I know where the MAF is, can you tell me where the throttle body is? Any pics would be good if poss

Cheers

Paul

hi paul

its the big aliminium piece sitting on top of the engine.. dont have any pics sorry.

the rubber tube is attatched to it. Inside is the butterfly valve thingy

When you first look under the bonnet and think "Where the hell are the spark plugs??" It's the bit that's in the way :P

I haven't dared mess with mine yet - I wouldn't dare!!

Hi

Since cleaning my MAF Sensor and Throttle Body i have noticed better MPG

But i still do not think it is good enough.

I put £20 in the car (23 litres) and got 90 miles. This was around town with lots of cold starts.

I worked it out to be approx 17MPG

Can other owners add to this thread what they are getting out of their GS??

I shall be testing motorway runs this weekend.. would be good to get some figures.

many thanks

Hi

My 2002 Mk2 has 55k on the clock and regularly does 23mpg around town, and 30 mpg on a motorway run (using snooze control).

If I thought I could get better mpg, I'd fiddle with my "MAF" if I knew what a "MAF" was and where to find it.

Paul

When I used to have one (S reg) it averaged about 30-32mpg overall that's with 65 miles each way to work of which about 15 miles was country roads and hideous west midlands roads (probably about 3mpg on them!).

I was quite impressed with them figures at the time and I'm even happier with my 450h which returns about 35mpg on the works run with aircon and everything on and about 30ish with mostly town driving (although it's possibly to take it out on the country roads and give it a spanking and get tiny figures - I just won't say how tiny though as someone will be able to work out how fast that means...). I do have a light foot though generally as I've got all that out my system with the scoobies, TTs and bikes in the last few years...

When I used to have one (S reg) it averaged about 30-32mpg overall that's with 65 miles each way to work of which about 15 miles was country roads and hideous west midlands roads (probably about 3mpg on them!).

is that 32mpg off the trip computer or u manually worked it out?

my series 1 sport is giving 18/20 local not that light footed and 29/31 on run using cc on m/ways but not on A roads. A big improvement since service and new plugs. I always fill to the neck and work out mpg from fuel used.

It was manually worked out - I used to put it in a spreadsheet - sad but true.

I did check the computer and on very long journeys - a couple of full tankers up and down to Scotland - and it was spot on. It does seem to lose the plot a bit with the little stuff in between and all the short journeys.

I'm a lot more relaxed about things now I'm older ;) so I'm happy with what the computer tells me...

It was manually worked out - I used to put it in a spreadsheet - sad but true.

I did check the computer and on very long journeys - a couple of full tankers up and down to Scotland - and it was spot on. It does seem to lose the plot a bit with the little stuff in between and all the short journeys.

I'm a lot more relaxed about things now I'm older ;) so I'm happy with what the computer tells me...

I do around 76 miles a day on motorway/dualcarriage ways with my GS MK2 and I am lucky to get 330miles from a tank. I am a little 'heavy footed'