Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Management Warning Light

IS300KK

Was driving home from work today, when a light came on in the dash of my IS300. Looked it up and it said it was a 'malfunction indicator', spoke to Lexus, they said it was an engine management warning light.

What is this likely to mean? The car seems to be running OK. I'm worried this is going to cost me a packet on top of the £360 they want for the 40K service. :crybaby:

Cheers

Amanda

It could be one of about a thousand things that has caused the light to come on.

Could be a very cheap fix as Mr Morse says above, or im affraid it could cost £££'s

As Ahmet says need to get the code read to find out

It's going in for a service on saturday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not something expensive. I'm beginning to think that this particular car is jinxed.

All the best

Amanda

It's going in for a service on saturday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not something expensive. I'm beginning to think that this particular car is jinxed.

All the best

Amanda

Hey Blodwyn...doesn't your old man know scoot about motors (like just in case you don't wanna break your nails)...?

All the best

Amanda

Hey Blodwyn...doesn't your old man know scoot about motors (like just in case you don't wanna break your nails)...?

No Mike he dont :D she let hm have a drive, and she was not to happy with what he got up to in it :o

Hi i'm having a simalier Problem with mine Is200, Only comes on know and then Twice so far :duh:

I park up swith engine off waite to a minute then restart and its gone :question:

Any suggestions guys, hidden Problem or just a bug that i'm not aware off? :crybaby:

Cheers

dibs

All the best

Amanda

No Mike he dont :D she let hm have a drive, and she was not to happy with what he got up to in it :o

The 'old man' is generally kept away from my car!!!

I drove it again today - warning light still on - and realised that it is not kicking down, and is driving around in 5th gear all the time. I can change gears with the e-shift with no problem, so they're all working. Very frustrating going slowly all the time - I live in an area which is infested with caravans at weekends, and can't muster the power to overtake them!!! I hope Lexus sort this out pronto, I hate seeing the light on the dash.

All the best

Amanda

you need to find out what the code is,you dont need lexus for that,unless it turns out to be a lex specific code.is there a thrustworthy garage that anyone knows nearby who can tell you what the code is with one of their obd jobies

you need to find out what the code is,you dont need lexus for that,unless it turns out to be a lex specific code.is there a thrustworthy garage that anyone knows nearby who can tell you what the code is with one of their obd jobies

I live out in the sticks - proper 4x4 country - mine is the only Lexus for a good few miles, and not many garages either. It's going for a service tomorrow anyway, so I might as well see what Lexus Cardiff have to say about it. Guess I'll just have to allow twice as long for the journey to Cardiff!! The car will do reasonable speeds, it just has the acceleration of a geriatric milk-float. I'm quite annoyed, because I bought the thing largely on the basis of Lexus reliability. Think I'll just buy a Hilux and be done with it!

Cheers

Amanda

yep as scarface said its in limp mode,so its gonna be rough.I hope you get it sorted,please ask lexus to write the code/s down for you and let us know what it was.It could be as many have pointed out a dirty sensor.It would have been worthwhile ruling that out b4 your car goes to lexus,but I guess if you trust them to be honest then it shouldnt be a problem.

Well, I took it in to Lexus Cardiff, and it turns out to be an air sensor problem. They couldn;t fix it today, because they didn;t have the part, so I'm still driving round at snail's pace.

Stupid question: what does an air sensor do, and why would it stop working? The dealer asked me whether I used supermarket petrol, which I don't, because this can apparently cause problems.

I don't have the actual code as yet, but will find out when I get the job done this week.

All the best

Amanda

The 2JZ-GE has a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor that sits in the airbox (or induction). It basically tells the ECU how much air is passing into the throttle body.

A few people on here have had CEL's because the MAF was dirty.......it's just an easy 5 min job to unscrew the MAF and give it a squirt of contact or switch cleaner every few months.

The dealer is talking pants when he goes on about supermarket petrol....petrol has bugger all to do with the MAF :blink:

The 2JZ-GE has a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor that sits in the airbox (or induction). It basically tells the ECU how much air is passing into the throttle body.

A few people on here have had CEL's because the MAF was dirty.......it's just an easy 5 min job to unscrew the MAF and give it a squirt of contact or switch cleaner every few months.

The dealer is talking pants when he goes on about supermarket petrol....petrol has bugger all to do with the MAF :blink:

Air passes into the throttle body? I obviously know jack about how cars work!!!

Where is the MAF sensor? (And could a mechanical moron like me take it out and clean it to save £180?!)

Cheers

Amanda

Do you see the 5cm x 5cm little black box in the picture, located between the filter head and the K&N logo on the induction pipe?

You'll see exactly the same thing fitted on your airbox....

Just remove the two screws that hold it in place, lift it out and inside you'll see the sensor. Give it a good blast with the contact cleaner and replace. It really is a dead simple, 5 min job.

After replacing the sensor it's an idea to reset the ECU

KN.jpg

Thanks Mr Morse, will print out piccie and see if I can sort it myself!

Yep, Lexus Cardiff state that the sensor will be one of a choice of four, ranging in cost from £123 to £150 + labour!!! I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with them, they always seem like they can;t really be ar**d to be particularly helpful. The car got washed, vaguely, with no interior cleaning as far as I can tell. 40K service with coolant and brake fluid change cost me £511!!!!! :sick: Think I might try Bristol in future.

Thanks again

Amanda