Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-cat

Mr Flibble

Thinking of de-cating my IS200 SE and fitting the Prolex Kazama exhaust. Does anyone know if I de-cat the mid section and the manifold and fit the Kazama exhaust if this will affect my engine/more wear and tear, would it be worth getting a garage to do this?. Would it emit more C02 and fail an MOT test/make the car illegal?. Would i have to tell my insurer atall? So many questions....:duh:

- Paul

Hi

what year is your IS ? my hi flow cat only fits 1999- May 2000 cars

on emissions there are no problems as my car passed MOT with it fitted

it does throw a CEL light (working on fixing that) its the sensor after the cat...as there is more exhuast gas flowing more quickly it gets confused (checked error codes so this is fact not conjecture)

you have to tell insurer about the Kazama and should tell them about the hi flow cat...but from the outside the cat looks OEM :winky:

Thinking of de-cating my IS200 SE and fitting the Prolex Kazama exhaust. Does anyone know if I de-cat the mid section and the manifold and fit the Kazama exhaust if this will affect my engine/more wear and tear, would it be worth getting a garage to do this?. Would it emit more C02 and fail an MOT test/make the car illegal?. Would i have to tell my insurer atall? So many questions....:duh:

- Paul

It would fail MOT test :blink: most just do the pre-cats (in the manifold) leaving the main cat on :D

Wear & tear will be ok.

You will have to tell insurance about Kazama back box.

Garage to do, well what can you do yourself, you will need to weld.

hi mate,

i have a de-cat pipe on my IS200 Se but left the pre-cats in. one thing i have found is that the vvti is alot more agressive. i MoT'd my car last friday and passed emissions etc easily. :D

the max limit for Co% emissions is 0.200 and mine was 0.015 :winky:

...as there is more exhuast gas flowing more quickly it gets confused (checked error codes so this is fact not conjecture)

It has nothing to do with the volume or speed of the exhaust gas, it is resultant of the chemical compositon of the gas being different when the cat is removed. Looks like you're getting facts and conjecture confused.

...as there is more exhuast gas flowing more quickly it gets confused (checked error codes so this is fact not conjecture)

It has nothing to do with the volume or speed of the exhaust gas, it is resultant of the chemical compositon of the gas being different when the cat is removed. Looks like you're getting facts and conjecture confused.

I was referring to when the prolex hi flow cat is fitted.............not removing the cat altogether (maybe we should both go to spec savers as I read the original post as the Mr Flibble fitting a kazama & a hi flow cat...hence my post ...if i'd have read it properly i'd have not said ought :blush: )

I was referring to when the prolex hi flow cat is fitted.............not removing the cat altogether (maybe we should both go to spec savers as I read the original post as the Mr Flibble fitting a kazama & a hi flow cat...hence my post ...if i'd have read it properly i'd have not said ought :blush: )

It's still a chemical composition issue, regardless of whether your hi flow cat is installed or there is no cat. Exhaust gas velocity and volume are not considerations of the 02 sensors or ecu. Hope this helps.

Hi

what year is your IS ? my hi flow cat only fits 1999- May 2000 cars

on emissions there are no problems as my car passed MOT with it fitted

it does throw a CEL light (working on fixing that) its the sensor after the cat...as there is more exhuast gas flowing more quickly it gets confused (checked error codes so this is fact not conjecture)

you have to tell insurer about the Kazama and should tell them about the hi flow cat...but from the outside the cat looks OEM :winky:

Thanks for the advice :) My IS is a 1999

• 4 weeks later...

well for money in i dont think you can go wrong with just a new backbox and a decent air filter set up.

Without upgrading to a turbo or charger i wouldnt have thought you would have seen massive increases in performance for the de-cat.

good luck with what you choose