Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Applemac Or Standard Win Xp Machine?

OK guys - here's the dillema - have about £800 to spend on a PC. I can get a good P4 Windows XP machine or a lower spec apple Mac. It has to be a new machine as I don't trust old PC's (bitten once).

All apple Mac owners tend to say that their's beats Win XP hands down.

What do people on the forum say?

Some questions I have -

Do you have to get AppleMac versions of software? Can you load MS software onto it (MS Office etc)?What are the pitfalls? Stability of the OS? Ease of use, plug and play etc?

You can tell from my questions that I have only just started to look around and am totally naive on this, and I know loads of you have practical experience of both. So any help would be gratefully accepted and your reward will come in heaven...though I can't promise that!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate if i were u do what i did......

spend about £500 and buy all the componenets for a b!tch hot PC, build it urself and run an operating system like Ubuntu.....so easy to do and Ubuntu (part of Linux) is free. whats more, all the software on Ubuntu is free and there are tens of thousands of programs at ur disposal. Additionally, its so easy to get used to, very similar to the Mac interface and has many similar features that Windows tries to copy from Linux :D

If you need any further info on it, feel free to PM me :D

I recently bought my PC and chickened out and went for an XP machine, but having got it I can't actually think of a way in which an apple would have been better except looks.

Apple's are far more expensive than PCs, at least they now have intel processors so aren't as powerless as they used to be, but still you'll get a much slower processor in a Mac than you would in a PC at that price.

Also Windows XP is very stable, so I don't really have any complaints with it - yes if I did a lot of video editing, or graphics work, I can understand that Macs might be better machines, but other than that, life is much simpler with a PC.

I would like to know though if there are any real reasons as to why an apple is a better "everyday" home computer than a PC.......

I run a mac mini (intel) and i havent looked back since. ok it was pricey, but it does the job and i get zero headaces from it. well that and it runs silent. you can put windows on it, and it does work. it all depends on what you want to do. if you want to play games, go for the pc or if you like building systems. mac is a closed system so its stable, there arent as much apps out there, but if internet/email and office apps are all you need thens its great (open office is free :-) )

Hmm it's all about personal choice. I must admit I bought a new PC last year and did consider building it myself but chickened out in the end, and just as well as my new PC broke down but an engineer was there the next day to fix it.

The one thing going for apple and Macs is they are way cool in terms of image. And I hear they are very stable and not liable to crash.

I suggest a visit to an apple store and spend some time playing with a Mac, the guys there are normally very friendly, if not a little geeky!

I recently bought a 3.4Ghz dual core processor Dell machine from a guy on eBay who lives just up the road from me. Although it was sold as "used", it still had all the plastic on it and came boxed with all the accessories. I saved a packet, paying £899 compared to the list price of £1,355! :D

I can give you his details if you like, he has 100% feedback

Decide what you would like to use this PC for, Ive just got my self a nice Sony VGX-XL100 media center PC. its dual core processor, has HDMI output for perfect large screen TV Hi Def action and its virtually silent, you can use it to record tv and play back any hi def stuff you wish, it will sit under your TV and blend in with your other AV equipment and has a wireless keyboard with touchpad. Has enough power to play decent games.

apple mac's are nice, Ive owned a few but the lack of software really spoils it for me. if you like to tinker with things then you'll never find a wider range of software than there is for a Windows. As long as you take care what you download and click on Win XP should be just as stable as mac os or linux. Ive had a windows server running for over 300 days so far without so much as a flicker.

Really depends on what you want to use it for tho :) There's alot of choice for £800.00

Ive just got my self a nice Sony VGX-XL100 media center PC

That is a lovely PC - how has it been so far?

I've been planning to get one of those as soon as they put blu-ray in it to be my media hub :winky:

It's been great, really quiet and surfing the web and playing games on a 50" HDTV is amazing :) Recorded TV shows using freeview look as good as any other DVD recorder and Downloaded Hi Def stuff from the net is just awesome. as you can tell Im a bit of a fan of it :)

apple Mac all the way! :D

Pcs arent worth the money. There unreliable pieces of junk! I switched to Mac and love it! No problems, no difficulty getting software, its great!

I plug soemthing in, no installation, it simply works! No more ard drives having fits when you open more than 2 applications......

Once you've had a mac, you wont want to go back to crappy PCs.

I use a PC at work and cant stand it!

Everything about Mac screams quality!

You also get excellent software pre-installed on the mac to. iLife has everything! Photo applications, chat programs, mail applications etc etc. Also works in harmony with the iPod! :D

No offence to anyone with a PC but youd be wrong if you said PCs are better :P

apple Mac all the way :D

I used to build my PC's then bought an apple Powerbook 17" last year and havn't looked back since.

I've also bought a mac mini (G4 version so I'm due an upgrade)

I love Mac OS is beats win XP on just about everything apart from playing games...

The bundled software is also great (iLife apps etc)

I see people saying that they are vastly over priced but I don't agree, yes I think they are slightly more expensive than a Dell for example but the build quality and design are far superior.

Apple Mac all the way :D

I used to build my PC's then bought an Apple Powerbook 17" last year and havn't looked back since.

I've also bought a mac mini (G4 version so I'm due an upgrade)

I love Mac OS is beats win XP on just about everything apart from playing games...

The bundled software is also great (iLife apps etc)

I see people saying that they are vastly over priced but I don't agree, yes I think they are slightly more expensive than a Dell for example but the build quality and design are far superior.

There not over piced at all, you get a like for like Dell, same sort of spec....but remember XP is a 32 bit OP where as the Tiger is 64 bit so naturally faster, the Dell would be more money.

Built in Bluetooth, wifi (Airport) all the software etc......the Mac wins every time. The difference Mac don't do cheap sh*te.

Dude! apple mac, seriously.

Then if you want XP just install bootcamp

and you can have both on 1 computer.

And you don't have to bother with the mac pro's

as the imacs will be powerful enough.

Take a look at this 1 - 17" imac

They're not as expensive as most people believe.

I know someone who's looking for a buyer

for a 20" imac, :winky: but i'm after a grand and a bit.

Ps wait a little while before you buy if you decide on a mac

as the new operating system will be out soon - Leopard.

Dude! Apple mac, seriously.

Then if you want XP just install bootcamp

and you can have both on 1 computer.

And you don't have to bother with the mac pro's

as the imacs will be powerful enough.

Take a look at this 1 - 17" imac

They're not as expensive as most people believe.

I know someone who's looking for a buyer

for a 20" imac, :winky: but i'm after a grand and a bit.

Ps wait a little while before you buy if you decide on a mac

as the new operating system will be out soon - Leopard.

Leopard wont be out until spring 2007 though mate :winky:

You have a simply choice.

a) A Mac that can run Mac OS X Tiger (which Mac users have been using for 2 years and has everything Vista has to offer already) AND Windows.

or b A PC that can run Windows.

ummmm no brainer?

Mac OS X has ZERO viruses spyware or adware, is stable secure and a joy to use. Windows is Windows.

The new Intel Macs can run both OS simultaneously or dual-boot so ALL your current PC software (inc all games) can run along with all the new great stuff you get bundled with your Mac.

apple offer 6 months interest free credit and anyone who says that Macs are more expensive than PCs need their head examined and haven't done any research.

Yes you CAN build-your-own PC cheaper - but it only runs Windows - and who want that? It's crap. apple is a BRAND and prices should only be compared to BRANDED PC's eg Hell oops Dell.

Compare a Mac with any branded PC and they are extremely competetive - ESPECIALLY when you bear in mind you can run 2 OS and not one.

Do yourself a favour and click the link below and take the time to research.

You will never want to use use a Windows PC again.

http://www.apple.com/getamac

The new Intel Macs can run both OS simultaneously or dual-boot so ALL your current PC software (inc all games) can run along with all the new great stuff you get bundled with your Mac.

I had no idea they could do that - if you can run either OS with no decrease in performance, then my next computer will definitely be a Mac :whistling:

2 down - several million to go... :)

apple has all the pieces in place to make huge market share gains over the next few years.

If anyone has any spare shekels I suggest investing in the US best performing stock over the last 4 and a half years.. AAPL :)

Jamboo: I suggest one of these http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

Click the Store tab and customise your own to the spec you want.

Don't waste time trying to find them cheaper - Macs are sold for VERY similar prices the world over.

For your budget the 17" one is the one ot go for. Buy it at the apple online Store. You will have it on your desk and a huge grin on your face in no time.

THOUGHT OF THE DAY:

Even if you JUST want to run Windows you should...

Firstly: get your head examined.

Secondly: buy a Mac.

(Macs have been proven to run Windows as fast or faster than an equivalent specced PC)

ANOTHER THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Yes of course Macs run Microsoft Office.

M$ wrote Excel and Word FOR the Mac well before it was available on the PC!!

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/offi...?pid=office2004