Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Lexus...

Huggy...

Hi all, my first post today... I have been reading and searching various posts and threads etc... have found a few check lists...

I will be buying my first IS200 in the very near future but wanted to know what exactly to look for in terms of engine / electrical issues (not that I think there should be any) after inspecting regular intervals of service history.

I have thought about the SE model (X reg, around 2000 model) as opposed to sport because I understand there is only a slight mods, ie lowered, silver sills and sport pedals... (tints maybe)...

The engin is normally covered by plastics... but what else can I check re issues, faults... is there a detailed list available anywhere please... I have taken note of the checklist link on LOC, RAC and the AA.

Please help... thanks in advance

Tinted rear cabin and r/screen,sport also has LSD and 2 tone s/wheel.

Dont know of any issues to look out for but depending on the year make sure wheels are not corroded.

Good luck in your hunt.

:D

Sorry, blonde moment coming on (no offence to blondes) what is LSD...

limited slip differential

Aha... yes of course... sorry... and thanks... the reason I have chosen the SE over the Sport (because the sport seems to have everything the other models have) is because I can do without the silver sills, sport pedals, tints... however does the lowered suspension (is it just lowered or is it actually a stiffer / harder suspension or ride) and wasn't exactly sure what LSD would have an advantage over...

Sorry, a lot of questions... should I be considering any other factors...?

Thanks

LSD is supposed to give better traction...most 2 wheel drive cars are only driven by 1 wheel at a time, an LSD allows both wheels to be driven but a controled amount. Im sure that if i am wrong somebody will point you in the right direction.

Sports also have a rear lip spoiler. would think that the lowered suspension would be a bit stiffer but you probably wouldn't really notice, its more to make the car look sportier.

Also get sport etched into the rear quarter windows, and a shiney exhaust tip.

Im sure that whatever you buy you wont be disapointed and you have happy motoring!

Aaron

Would it be fair to assume (or maybe statistically may be true) that because the LSD uses more clutch mechanisms, the clutch of the Sport is under more strain / usage than the normal SE therefore maybe worn quicker... because it has LSD...

Or are they fine... how are the clutches on SE and Sport models...?

clutch can be a funny point, alot of people along with myself get juddery pull away in first gear (all IS200's), have heard of a few people changing clutches, I don't know if an LSD would shorten the life of the clutch, my only comment would be prolong the lifeof the clutch and dont site with the car in gear at junctions and traffic lights.

remembered another one, Sports dont come in auto, only manual!

Thanks Chips and thanks Aaron... I have seen a couple of nice ones on Auto Trader... I hope to get the money from my WRX really soon so I can go and view these two I have my eye on... one is an SE and the other a Sports... Hopefully around the 20th of this month my customer will pay the outstanding amount (as he has put a deposit down). I hope they are good examples... I just wish I knew about cars a lot more... My budget is around £6k