Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Router

GALLA_4

Guys

A quick question!

I bought a Netgear DG834GT yesterday from PC World and it is utter sh1te. The coverage is poor to say the least and it drops the connection like its hot.

I always thought Netgear were a decent enough brand but this router for the price is shockingly bad!

I am returning it to them tomorrow but what do I go for next?

Need something with 108MB/s or higher

Relialble

Good Range

Good Signal strength

Read a post on here about the Linksys/Cisco routers being good pieces of kit?

My first Belkin was crap.

The 2nd one has been faultless ............

Netgear are good, but like with anything, they can go wrong.

Linksys are not bad ....... though not as user freindly as Belkin and Netgear.

Guys

A quick question!

I bought a Netgear DG834GT yesterday from PC World and it is utter sh1te. The coverage is poor to say the least and it drops the connection like its hot.

I always thought Netgear were a decent enough brand but this router for the price is shockingly bad!

Relialble

Good Range

Good Signal strength

I use a Belkin 2.4GHz - 802 11g Wireless router works for me Ok.

I have three static pc's running via it together with a laptop. I can easily use the laptop in the garden and my eldest son has no probs with his static pc in our loft room.

Great piece of kit - knocks spots off Netgear and Lynksys etc in my opinion.

I've got a Netgear Rangemax, and it works fine, but I've heard a lot of bad things about them so I guess I've been lucky. I'd go with Buffalo as the really old router that we have at home works perfectly and never drops a connection.

Does anyone know if 802.11n is available over here yet?

I'm also using a Belkin, its the ADSL modem with wireless-G Router. 54Mbps, 2.4GHz.

Running 2 desktop PCs (using Belkin USB adapters), a print server, a laptop, my CarPC (using Belkin PCMCIA card) and my X-Box 360.

Router is in front upstairs bedroom and I can use the laptop at the bottom of my garden with is 90ft long.

Had no problems at all and no loss of connection.

I work in IT at a Tech College and have installed a few wireless access points around the campus. So we have tested Netgear, Netgear Rangemax, Belkin and D-Link. Netgear has been the best one by far (hence i have a DG834GT router at home like yours) mine has been flawless. Netgear Rangemax is good but you don't really need that for home use, although it does have pretty blue flashing Led's on the top if your into that kind of thing. :P

I'd rate them:

1. Netgear 108Mb (Good overall signal and it doesn't just drop out when you move it around probably the easiest to setup)

2. Netgear Rangemax (Good but a waste of extra money just for home use and you have to be carefull where your put it as the signal seems to be there one moment then can just dissapear completely)

3. D-Link (takes a long time to boot up if you keep turning it off then on to use it sometimes upto 4 min's but the signal is fine)

4. Belkin (was.....well gave up on that one in the end :tsktsk: , i think it's sitting in a draw collecting dust now)

On the D-Link models you can not hide the SSID (name of the access point) on the B signal so anyone could find it who has a laptop which worried me slightly for security.

I'd say you've just been unfortunate and got a duff Netgear one or the firmware on it just needs upgrading, they should just replace it with a new one.

Hope this helps :)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree with Mr. Flibble

I suspect your wireless card (assuming you are using a PC) or ISP are at fault. I have always found that router to be excellent.

Are there any metallic objects near your PC at the time it drops out? Anyone using a microwave oven? got your Bluetooth phone switched on? Any of these may interfere depending on what channel you are using. Try changing the frequency you are using.

If none of the above are the case it MAY be you have a faulty router - unlikely - and I would suggest swapping for another of the SAME model! :o

If THAT one doesn't work then swap for another model as your place is clearly a Netgear unfriendly zone! :P

My first Belkin was crap.

The 2nd one has been faultless ............

Netgear are good, but like with anything, they can go wrong.

Linksys are not bad ....... though not as user freindly as Belkin and Netgear.

ditto.

Going to ask them to replace the Netgear for a Linksys

Good move. I got both manufacturers, and find the Linksys more robust.

Although not had problems with Netgear either.

D.

If you took a poll, most people will have bought a Netgear or Belkin - they seem to be the most widely available...

Most of them will have had issues, though I accept those small number that run OK will probably run reliably forever!!

I bought the Netgear 108 834GT, total load of cr4p!! The Belkin before was worse.

I took the Netgear back after 11 months, and whilst I was in the queue at the returns bit of the PC world store, the 2 guys behind the counter were smiling, looking at me, and what I was carrying. As soon as my turn came all they said "...give me that back and take the Linksys..." without even asking me anything!

He also commented that they were getting 90% of the Netgear ones back, and was puzzled why I had perservered for 11 months...

For the last 8 weeks I've been using a new Linksys 2.4ghz WAG54GS with speedbooster, which can run at 125mbps, and you know it's totally fab!! The wireless is totally reliable. The firewall is OK, but not good as the Netgears.

I even managhed to get £5 back as the Linksys was cheaper than the rubbish Netgear!!

Guys

A quick question!

Relialble

Good Range

Good Signal strength

I've been using the DG834GT for 2 years now without any issues, good range and reliable connections.