Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 220d Woes

Hi, I have had my 220d SE for almost 6 weeks now overall impressed BUT!!!.

2500 mls on the clock now. MPG getting better all the time (average low 40's), usual & unusual problems since new.

1. Massive bird crap on the middle of bonnet which looked to have marked the paint. Fortunatly after a lot of elbow grease with various polishes the mark has (almost) vanished.

2. Intermittent problem with steering. When going round a right hand bend (mainly on an "A" class road between 30-50mph) when I have to bring the wheel back to straight it sticks & I have to tug the steering wheel to free it.

3. Rattle from around the offside front seatbelt height adjuster.

4. Smell coming from the air con system.

Car booked into dealer to rectify problems, had car for 2 days (courtesy car RX 450h, very nice). Service reception states anti bacterial treatment put int a/c system, "a couple of rattles had been sorted" (I only reported 1) & could not find anything wrong with the steering.

Took car home, very strong air freshener smell (anti bacterial treatment), steering problem still there. Not a happy chappy :tsktsk:

5. Steering again

6. Smell back from air con

7. Original rattle back plus another from offside vent on dash

8. Drivers seat has started to creak

Car booked in on Wednesday for 3 days this time for them to have another go. Don't want to name the dealer but it is owned by Arnold Clark who owns just about ebery dealership in Scotland. Lets see how they get on this time. :duh:

I will post the results when I get the car back.

Car booked in on Wednesday for 3 days this time for them to have another go. Don't want to name the dealer but it is owned by Arnold Clark who owns just about ebery dealership in Scotland. Lets see how they get on this time. :duh:

I will post the results when I get the car back.

I'm also having problems with Arnold Clark's Glasgow dealership. They seem unable to sort out the issues with my IS250. Their customer service has failed on occasion too. I'm going to try my car at Lexus Edinburgh, as they appear to have a good reputation which, as everyone north of the border knows, is not something Mr Clark and crew enjoy.

Will let you know how I get on, in the meantime good luck for Wednesday.

I know you can't pick and choose your dealers (especially due to distances involved) - and I do sympathise. However, some of the dealerships are very good at getting rid of the rattles.

Mine had approx 4, all cleared quickly and efficiently by my local garage - Leicester.

If your dealer genuinely doesn't know, then aparently the "Product info" is up to date internally and other dealers will advise, I'm sure.

The steering one is a potential safety issue (if not an actual one). You really need to contact LGB, the last thing you want to do is wrap it around a lamp post and then try and sort out who was to blame...

I would contact Gill Want or Steve Settle at LGB in advance of any future appointments with the garage - they will monitor the resolution for you, and get "Lexus Technical" involved should that be appropriate.