Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking After My Baby

lostboyz

I collected my IS 250 SEL on saturday. wow I love my car, its gleaming and glossy. I could just look at it forever. :D

Obviously I will like to keep it this way. I have to explain I am new to this game. With my old car, I jut used to take it to the car wash and thats it. so I need a 101 lesson really.

Any help greatly appreciated?

Dude - don't, whever you do, take it to the car wash!! Welcome to the club!!

Those bristles will be carrying Grit and will scratch, swirl and damage the shine in just one or 2 washes. It's like sandblasting your car. This is even more important on modern new paint as the aint is not as strong as it was on older cars.

Get a new sponge, wrap it in a micrifibre and use 2 buckets (one with car shampoo and one with clean warm water to rinse the sponge before you apply more shampoo).

Also, whilst the car is new, apply a good acrylic wax or sealant glaze. Then you can apply some softer carnuaba wax over it to create an additional barrier.

Use Maguires stuff which is very good, or use the Carlack68 (aka Klasse in other parts of the world).

Nows the time to do it.

On new paint, all you need to do really is apply something like:

Carlack68 Long Life Sealant, also known as Acrylic Wax. Spread it very very thin, and use a microfibre to polish it out. Leave 24 hours, car preferably covered or in a garage, and do this again. Repeat the process 2 or 3 times.

After another 24 hours, apply a good non abrasive wax. Turtle wax is chalky and therefore mildliy abrasive. if you're not careful you could remove some of the sealant glaze you've just applied. I would used P21S carnauba wax. Again 2-3 coats, with 24 hour gap in between.

The 24 hour gaps allow the waxes to harden, else it'll be soft and you'll just be moving it around!!

Then after each 1 or 2 washes, apply another coat of Carnuaba wax. That way your car will be immaculate for a long time to come.

I was a complete virgin at this until I tried some of the stuff and the advice from others on this forum.

Just remember - use non abrasive things.

The stuff I've mentioned is available at www.carsparkle.co.uk. If you do a search for Autopia on this site or on Google, you will find detailed guides on what to do.

Some people swear by Supagard, but I reckon this is much better and much cheaper!!

Here are some shots taken today - the car was washed 10 days ago, and admittedly garaged, but not waxed since before we went on Holiday (to scotland etc) 3 weeks ago (and it came back caked in grime, bird poop etc). As you can see the tyre dressing wore off, but the carwax is still there, deep rich and lustrous!

dsc03987te7.jpg

dsc03986ph2.jpg

dsc03988hi3.jpg

I collected my IS 250 SEL on saturday. wow I love my car, its gleaming and glossy. I could just look at it forever. :D

Obviously I will like to keep it this way. I have to explain I am new to this game. With my old car, I jut used to take it to the car wash and thats it. so I need a 101 lesson really.

Any help greatly appreciated?

Get yourself to here. Then download their e-book here.

All you need to know right there.

(Lots of us order our products from there too - even though it's in LA - with the current exchange rate and the fact that the goods are marked as low price - thus avoiding import tax - it works out ok.)