Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

20's On Gs 300 Sport

Davie B.

I have a 2000 X GS300 sport and i'm currently running 8.5"x20" chrome rims with 245/35x20 on the front and 255/35x20 on the rear.

just interested to see if there is anyone else on the site that is running a similar set up to see if they have experienced the same probs as me.

also does antone run bigger rims as i was looking into 21's or 22's :)

the extra weight of 20s is having wearing your front suspension.

One guy on here is running 20s on his GS, can't remember his name.

Also, you're best option is to look at www.clublexus.com, where 20s on GS are common, and some guys even put 21 or 22s on.

The front tyres sometimes catch on the arch liner next to the bumper, mostly when reversing, the rear only rubs when you have people in the back and hit a dip on the motorway at speed but only very slightly. I havent removed any of the guards or touched the arches in any way.

as for the tyres wearing evenly, no all 4 wear on the inside edge, had the tracking/alignment checked and its all spot on.

Buy underbracing, etc for the car...that should help unnecessary stress on the suspension parts...also try to buy some wheels that don't weigh a TON! :). It's not the size of the wheel most of the times that would cause wear/tear on suspension but it's the weight of the wheels. People on Clublexus don't have repitive problems because they buy wheels that are light, although expensive. Lighter weight wheels are not only for performance or bragging rights :).

Buy underbracing, etc for the car...that should help unnecessary stress on the suspension parts...also try to buy some wheels that don't weigh a TON! :). It's not the size of the wheel most of the times that would cause wear/tear on suspension but it's the weight of the wheels. People on Clublexus don't have repitive problems because they buy wheels that are light, although expensive. Lighter weight wheels are not only for performance or bragging rights :).

interestingly enough, my trd rims weighed lighter than my lexus rims (made by OZ racing), despite being same size and width.

Hi,

Bragging whos Bragging :D :shifty:

Chips.

Hi,

Bragging whos Bragging :D :shifty:

Chips.

LOL. Well I'm assuming he's going for 20's cos he might want to say "yo g, my lex rides on dubs" :lol: (just kidding)

If there's one thing I've noticed is that the 19's I've got, weigh about 2kg more than the stock 17's. Car isn't noticably slow either. I know if I went with some cheap 19's or even some cheap 18's, I'd have slowed the car down alot, not to mention braking would be even more affected (one thing that is directly affected with my choice of going with 19's).

If you want to buy wheels look for the following:

Make sure it's a Forged wheel and not a cast wheel. Forged wheels are often more expensive but are more durable. At most you'll bend the rim but NOT crack it, so can be repaired...where cast wheels are cheaper to make yet will crack. For example, if you went over say a pothole in the road where you had Forged rims and you bent the wheel, in the same situation the cast would more than likely crack :).

Forged are also lighter...but all this comes at a price...literally.

If you want 20's I'd suggest you research and keep an eye out to pick up a bargain. IIRC L-Tunedparts.com is holding a special on a set of EXXE 18's, which are originally made by Work and are lighter than your stock 17's and are forged and cost next to nothing for what they are ;). Shipping will cost you about 700usd, so you're looking at paying about £1000-1100 for a set of wheels that are worth about £1600-£2000 :). Work wheels are not cheap by any means...not only will you get a bargain but they look kickass on the GS :).

Oh and one more thing, since you'll have 20's on rubber band thick tires, you'll have more of a chance of cracking/bending the rim, therefore I'd say that's another reason to go with either 19's with a FAT tire setup (what I've got) which provides more than enough protection for the rim, and also doesn't affect ride quality much...or you can go with forged 20's with rubber band tires and be careful or go with cheap cast 20's and be VERY careful. A bent rim can be controlled and brought to a stop but a cracked rim is just dangerous.

My tupence worth.

interestingly enough, my trd rims weighed lighter than my lexus rims (made by OZ racing), despite being same size and width.

I also think the car would've been a little "quicker" at acceleration? Not to mention braking was improved too? ;)

• 1 month later...

Since my last post i've had a bit of a nightmare with fitting 20" Khan rsc's (merc fittment), so im sick of big rims now.

Does anyone out there have a set of standard 18" sport wheels & tyres for sale???

Davie.

..... FOR SALE: Lexus GS300 sport (non sat-nav) 2000 X-reg, 108k, metalic blue, FLSH, just been serviced and MOT'd, new brakes all round. electric/ heated everything!!

9300 ono