Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes

goodoldgrandad

Can anyone suggest any reasonable price/performance break disks and pads for the V300 MK2 (1998 model) and the best place to buy them? Having done a few tweaks I seem to be able to accelerate quicker than I can stop!! :blush:

Also the standard breaks always seem a bit spoungy to me.

u prob need a BBK, but if you want stock then black diamond or dba discs are highly rated for aristos.

mushy brakes could always be remedied by fitting stainless steel brake lines.

Hi,

The stainless steel brake hoses did the trick on my car,the car stopped but the brake pedal was very soft and spongy before i upgraded to SS hoses.

The better bet for brakes and as far i know its the cheapest option would be to fit UK Supra TT brake calipers and discs.

If you have a look on the mkiv Supra forum theres a guy that sales them for a very fair price.

You will need to make sure that they will fit with what ever wheels you have on the car.The standard Supra 16inch wheels are ok with them,its just there not the nicest of wheels.

All the info should be on the mkiv site somewhere.

http://www.mkiv.com/

Cheers..

Chips.

The better bet for brakes, and as far I know it's the cheapest option, would be to fit UK Supra TT brake calipers and discs. If you have a look on the Mk IV Supra forum there's a guy that sells them for a very fair price. You will need to make sure that they will fit with whatever wheels you have on the car. The standard Supra 16inch wheels are OK with them, it's just they're not the nicest of wheels. All the info should be on the mkiv site somewhere. http://www.mkiv.com/
That's the US site.... I think you mean http://www.mkivsupra.net :)

Also, there's a typo there, Chips.... you need the Mk4 Supra 17s to fit over the big 4-piston front brake calipers.

I've just gone EBC all round on my car with the grooved and dimpled fronts with green stuff pads the whole lot cost me roughly £450 if i include new anti squeal shims and sliding pins as well.

Not got them all on yet so i can't give you a proper run down of what i think.

If you are looking to put the UK spec supra 4 pot calipers on you will either need to use the supra 17s or use spacers to give the clearance, what i will say about the ones for sale on the supra forums is they were on eBay for £250 as i was bidding on them and someone bought it now for the 250 to make profit on them.

Not exactly cricket in my book on here everyone lets each other know when something that is useful comes up they don't buy it then try to make a profit on other members (as far as i know), but there you go.

Ask matt about his stoptechs i'm sure they could be made to fit if they dont already and would be a better buy than the £350 thats being asked for the supra calipers.

If you just want to uprate standard then go see EBC direct

If you are looking to put the UK spec Supra 4 pot calipers on you will either need to use the Supra 17s or use spacers to give the clearance, what I will say about the ones for sale on the Supra forums is they were on ebay for £250 as I was bidding on them and someone bought it now for the 250 to make profit on them. Not exactly cricket in my book on here everyone lets each other know when something that is useful comes up they don't buy it then try to make a profit on other members (as far as I know), but there you go.
Chips will correct me if I'm wrong, but he was probably referring to a trader on mkivsupra.net who ships new Toyota parts from Hong Kong, rather than to whoever is selling the secondhand ones.
I dont try my best to help :D
There's another typo, you meant "do".... :)

There are far too many Supra forums anyway :lol:

If you are looking to put the UK spec Supra 4 pot calipers on you will either need to use the Supra 17s or use spacers to give the clearance, what I will say about the ones for sale on the Supra forums is they were on ebay for £250 as I was bidding on them and someone bought it now for the 250 to make profit on them. Not exactly cricket in my book on here everyone lets each other know when something that is useful comes up they don't buy it then try to make a profit on other members (as far as I know), but there you go.
Chips will correct me if I'm wrong, but he was probably referring to a trader on mkivsupra.net who ships new Toyota parts from Hong Kong, rather than to whoever is selling the secondhand ones.

i may sit corrected then

Another place to pick up a set of Supra 4 pot Calipers is www.supraforums.com :). There's always a set available on there. It's where I'm picking up mine from for about £300 all in for calipers, pads and discs. You'd definitely need a set of high disk alloy wheels for the Supra calipers to fit though...as the stock supra wheels would look like crap on the GS. Spacers I wouldn't recommend ever...premature wheel bearing failure is a side effect of using them :).

First of all I'd just try DBA discs with stainless brake lines and a non agressive pad...should be enough as long as you don't plan on going single :).

All depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do :). The Stoptech BBK also needs a high disk wheel...but I personally would opt to spend the £2000 odd on a set of wheels with the Supra Calipers/pads as the Supra brakes are excellent and fade is near enough non-existant on the road.

Hi,

I had my cider gloves on :D

I wasnt typing what i was thinking :shifty::lol:

Chips.

I decided to put new discs front and rear (10 grove), keep the Lexus callipers, new Redstuff brake pads, and fit braided Stainless steel brake hoses. However, I've just spoken to a Lexus dealer and it sounds a bit daunting - it is electronic brake bleeding and self-bleeding system that you need to tap in to the master cyclinder ECU to do, and 9 times out of 10 once you take the brake fluid out the Master Cyclinder ends up needing replacing (at a cost of approx £2000). :ohmy:

Is this all scare tacticts to make me use the Lexus Dealer? Anyone know of the exact procedure of the brake bleeding operation? :duh:

I decided to put new discs front and rear (10 grove), keep the Lexus callipers, new Redstuff brake pads, and fit braided Stainless steel brake hoses. However, I've just spoken to a Lexus dealer and it sounds a bit daunting - it is electronic brake bleeding and self-bleeding system that you need to tap in to the master cyclinder ECU to do, and 9 times out of 10 once you take the brake fluid out the Master Cyclinder ends up needing replacing (at a cost of approx £2000). :ohmy:

Is this all scare tacticts to make me use the Lexus Dealer? Anyone know of the exact procedure of the brake bleeding operation? :duh:

Yeah, it's horse****. I get the garage to change the brake fluid all the time. There is an electronic doo-daa for the braking but you must follow the instructions printed on the car. I think you need to pump the pedal X amount of times. Any decent Jap tuner garage should do it for you.

Yoshi you wouldn't happen to know the full procedure would you?

No haven't done it personally but I have the GS repair manual somewhere which should explain it.

My mechanic does it no problems so I don't think it's that difficult.

I've got some information from a Lexus dealer workshop manual, which is for the GS300 but appears to be applicable to the Aristo:

Brake pad removal and refit:

67846.jpg

Brake bleeding information - note the sequence of moving around the car:

67847.jpg

67848.jpg

I hope this helps, but I've not yet tried it myself until the new brake discs and pads arrive.

You either need long arms and legs, or someone to be in the car as well as someone doing the bleeding work!! :)

Yoshi: Thanks mate...just glad it's possible without having to take it to the dealers :).

Excellent! Thanks Gramps...will definitely need this when I get the brakes bled and upgraded...can't wait to have some VERY good stopping power with near minimum fade :).

Yes, the only "weakness" I've found with the Aristo is that the brakes don't seem to match the power under the bonnet. Hopefully the new brake up-grade will give some confidence that we can stop !!! :tomato:

The brakes are fine if you use the magic combo :

Black Diamond Discs / Predator pads.....Goodridge stainless steel lines too (although not essential for road use)

I run the more expensive Project Mu SCR-Pro discs now with the combo (track/road) pad + the Goodridge lines. Brakes really well on track + road. I also run the Castrol SRF Dot 5 fluid too which stops fade on track.