Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Insurance Companies...any Cheap Ones For The Rx ?

So car renewal came in this morning...£412 and was wondering if anyone knows any good companies to try ?

I'm with Admiral and so far using confused.com they're cheapest...

Also found that Egg and directline will not quote as I've not got a tracker...

I'm 36, full no claims, no accidents in 5+ years, car garaged and about 7k miles per year.... was hoping for less than £412...

So car renewal came in this morning...£412 and was wondering if anyone knows any good companies to try ?

I'm 36, full no claims, no accidents in 5+ years, car garaged and about 7k miles per year.... was hoping for less than £412...

The RAC gave me the best deal, approx £300 last Sept but it depends where you live.

I am out in the Yorkshire countryside :)

Perhaps you might want to give us a call, we may be able to help.

My telephone number is 01635 521818

Current insurer wants £574.37 to renew.

Broker suggests £489.26.

Saga quotes £314.28.

All with legal cover and max NCD.

Initial quotes from insurance companies are often low to entice your business. They then creep up to overtake others.

Shop around and be prepared to do so every couple of years.

I have just renewed with Direct line @ £255.15 including Legal protection and Guaranteed Hire Car

52 years old, 5 years ncb, car on drive, 14000 miles, rural north yorkshire. £20 less than last year!

I use Lexus insurance

Fifty year old business use and 20k per annum, wife as named 2nd driver both no accidents I have 3 points speeding car kept on driveway. based in north Manchester this includes, typical Lexus, every extra you can think of.

£591.00 on renewal

So...got a good deal in end... £351 from elephant.co.uk that is garaged, protected no-claims and £250 excess, up to 7k miles a year..

Shapped around and elephnat were the only ones to actually call me back and took £30 off the renewal if I signed up there and then....

....Funnily enough the previous company (Admiral) offered to "try and match" when i called to cancel... very amusing since Admiral and Elephant are the same company....

So...got a good deal in end... £351 from elephant.co.uk that is garaged, protected no-claims and £250 excess, up to 7k miles a year..

Shapped around and elephnat were the only ones to actually call me back and took £30 off the renewal if I signed up there and then....

....Funnily enough the previous company (Admiral) offered to "try and match" when i called to cancel... very amusing since Admiral and Elephant are the same company....

Watch out for Elephant! I signed up with them, and their claims handling process is crap! I only went with them because they were cheapest.

Remember with Elephant if you have to cancel your policy for ANY reason, they won't refund any of the premium.

I'm assuming A-Plan wasn't competitive for you :unsure::question: ....so far A-Plan has been very competitive for many members' on here :winky:

Fergy

May not be useful to you owing to your age but RIAS have insured my Rx for £232 including LP with full NCD and of course the advantage of age.

John

I should add £250 excess and 8k miles per year.

I'm 36... and found quite a few companies that would not quote because of no Tracker....

Never got round all the comanies..and when I got elephant quote I just went with it, was getting fed up with filling in forms etc at that point.

Never realised they never refunded the remainder if I cancel...yikes...bit late to change now.

Nexty year I need to set aside more time to do this properly, I unfortunately had it in my head that I wanted to pay ~£350 and when I got that I signed up...doooohhhhh

I'm 36... and found quite a few companies that would not quote because of no Tracker....

Never got round all the comanies..and when I got elephant quote I just went with it, was getting fed up with filling in forms etc at that point.

Never realised they never refunded the remainder if I cancel...yikes...bit late to change now.

Nexty year I need to set aside more time to do this properly, I unfortunately had it in my head that I wanted to pay ~£350 and when I got that I signed up...doooohhhhh

If you have taken the policy out in the last fourteen days, you can still cancel and get a refund for the number of days you haven't used. (Financial Services Regulation + Direct Marketing Directive)

The comments on here are right following a total loss claim with Elephant your policy with Elephant is cancelled, you are not able to change of vehicle on the policy or get any refund for the time that has been unused. Admiral are the same with this.

I'm assuming A-Plan wasn't competitive for you :unsure::question: ....so far A-Plan has been very competitive for many members' on here :winky:

A-Plan were great-extremely competitive and great service-not like the usual call centres with the big companies where when you speak to someone the chances are they are cluless about cars and not much help with anything.

I notice A-Plan now have a banner on this web site!!!!!

A-Plan were great-extremely competitive and great service-not like the usual call centres with the big companies where when you speak to someone the chances are they are cluless about cars and not much help with anything.

I notice A-Plan now have a banner on this web site!!!!!

I strongly agree with the A-Plan as they have just save myself alot to compare with my pervious insurance company, worth to give them a call..

I've just had a quote from APLAN and they are competitve, the underwriter they quoted was NIG (National Insurance Group) who apparantly underwrite Churchill?

Anyway if you pay up front they beat priviledge by £60 on a £420 quote, which is good, but it you pay monthly then they are after 12% financing - which became 9% after discussion - this was then only slightly better than Priviledge so I'm not tempted to switch.

Cheers

Jon

I've just had a quote from APLAN and they are competitve, the underwriter they quoted was NIG (National Insurance Group) who apparantly underwrite Churchill?

Anyway if you pay up front they beat priviledge by £60 on a £420 quote, which is good, but it you pay monthly then they are after 12% financing - which became 9% after discussion - this was then only slightly better than Priviledge so I'm not tempted to switch.

Cheers

Jon

And so we seem to go full circle.

NIG is the company who wanted a massive £574.37 to renew for my RX300. See above posting - September 14th.

I am drawn to the conclusion that NIG, and companies who underwrite through it, are the ones who give you a good initial quote but over the subsequent years the premium rises to overtake over insurance companies quotes and they are hoping that inertia will keep them the custom.

Shop around and be prepared to do so every couple of years.

Interesting - me and my mates don't think Priviledge behave like that - my renewal went down by 73p per month this year and my wife had made a £4000 claim (on her insurance not that for the Lexus - but I did tell Priviledge as she is a named driver). This I thought was fine.

People in our office talk about initial low quotes, then hikes the following year - I guess APLAN and their NIG friends are not so strong after all.

Your thoughts gentlemen!

Interesting - me and my mates don't think Priviledge behave like that - my renewal went down by 73p per month this year and my wife had made a £4000 claim (on her insurance not that for the Lexus - but I did tell Priviledge as she is a named driver). This I thought was fine.

People in our office talk about initial low quotes, then hikes the following year - I guess APLAN and their NIG friends are not so strong after all.

Your thoughts gentlemen!

As I discussed with yourself earlier today, this is simply not the case with the renewal discounts we have in place with NIG.

The NIG product is very good, offering Guaranteed No Claims Bonus over and above Protected No claims bonus amongst other benefits that you do not get on direct policies.

Ah ha - I've just twigged - Alastair is the branch manager of APLAN, who drives a Lexus - I guess the APLAN ad on the top of the site all stems from his membership.

It's interesting, jazz_lives suggested above that NIG loaded up premiums on the second year - I discussed this with Alastair on the phone yesterday afternoon and he stated that it would be the broker that loaded the premiums, not NIG themselves, and that APLAN don't do that.

Thing that annoys me most is that this whole thing is a black hole waiting to gobble your money, the famous transparency problem.

Alastair, maybe you could explain just how the process of car insurance actually works, expecially renewals, I don't think any of us have an issue with brokers like APLAN making a profit, and I'm sure the margins aren't enormous either?

Cheers

Jon

It maybe is being suggested that it is brokers and not insurance companies that are hiking premium prices in succeeding years.

In my original posting - September 14 - the broker who suggested the £489 premium is the same broker I had the NIG renewal quote (£574) through.

This seems to indicate to me that the broker was embarassed by the size of the renewal quote.

And this does indicate to me that it is the insurance companies, or at least some of them, and not generally brokers who hike prices and hope public inertia or apathy stops clients searching.

It maybe is being suggested that it is brokers and not insurance companies that are hiking premium prices in succeeding years.

In my original posting - September 14 - the broker who suggested the £489 premium is the same broker I had the NIG renewal quote (£574) through.

This seems to indicate to me that the broker was embarassed by the size of the renewal quote.

And this does indicate to me that it is the insurance companies, or at least some of them, and not generally brokers who hike prices and hope public inertia or apathy stops clients searching.

The beauty of using a broker is that if the prices rises like this then they should be able to find another policy similar to what you paid last year, because at present (NU being in the minority) prices are still falling.

Thanks for this thread - i'm about to insure my RX300 (probably with you Alastair!) so this is really interesting! This year, i'm just after the cheapest quote I can get because i'm skint after buying my car! And A Plan are nearly the cheapest - Sheila's Wheels are currently top - any reviews of their service?? But generally if a broker is friendly and efficient, then i'd much rather use one than shop around myself - even if I have to pay a few quid extra.

But I have a question - in the event of a claim does the broker get involved in any way or carry any weight if your insurer is dragging their feet?

:D

:D - Following advice from this forum gave A-Plan insurance (Leo) a bell - Came back to me quickly for extra info and was back again within a couple of hours all sorted saving me £120 on current policy renewal figure.

A policy was sorted that met my specific needs rather than trying to pigeon hole me into a policy that a company already had on the shelf.

Great Guy to deal with, will use again when wife's car and house need renewing together with mentioning to friends and colleagues.

Thanks again Leo - Nice work..

Cheers

Ian