Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Button

All it does is reduce the sensitivity of the throttle pedal - will therefore change mpg in the same way as if you didn't press the accelerator as hard! :P

And i thought it'd be something more interesting than that, i'm devistated!. I was hoping that some ski's come out the sides like the bond car. :crybaby::lol:

All it does is reduce the sensitivity of the throttle pedal - will therefore change mpg in the same way as if you didn't press the accelerator as hard! :P

And i thought it'd be something more interesting than that, i'm devistated!. I was hoping that some ski's come out the sides like the bond car. :crybaby::lol:

Now that would be awesome...lol B)

Hi,

When you press the snow button like whats said above,the car starts from a standing start in a higher gear,im not sure with the IS but id say 3rd gear.Its to stop wheel spin when theres poor traction.

You wont find any better mpg though,driving it in the snow setting.

I did find the snow button useful on another car i used to own that didnt have traction control,in wet/slippery road conditions it did help traction pulling out of say a T junction.Trying to turn the car and get the traction down at the same time.

Hope thats of help.

Chips.

So what does the snow button do in my manual geared IS200?

I never used the button but I also managed to lose the tail on an icy morning when turning on a road that leaned outwards - throttle disengaged automatically and I managed to catch it with opposite lock. B)

I wonder if the snow button would have kept the tail in? I can test it again this winter with the button pushed :P

So what does the snow button do in my manual geared IS200?

I never used the button but I also managed to lose the tail on an icy morning when turning on a road that leaned outwards - throttle disengaged automatically and I managed to catch it with opposite lock. B)

I wonder if the snow button would have kept the tail in? I can test it again this winter with the button pushed :P

It does the same as the auto - just makes the accelerator pedal less sensitive so even if you are clumsy and thump the pedal, it gives you a slight chance of survival :P

I wouldn't test that too much unless you want to end up like this -> :hehe:

I thought that the snow button was a great idea on my old IS200 until I came to use it. I pressed the snow button as it was snowing and when I went up a steep hill the IS got stuck. There were Vectra's, polo's etc driving passed me as the back wheels would spin and then stop and then spin again and stop on the spot. I was going nowhere, so I turned it off and wheel span up the hill. It was the only way I could go up.

On the way home that evening coming down the hill the traffic was going very slow as it was like sheet ice. The car in front of me was a new plate 5 series BMW and so i was being careful not to slide into the back of it. However, the IS's anti lock brakes stopped working when the car was nearly at a standstill and the car was sliding towards the 5 series. I had to let the brakes off and swerve out of the way to miss it. I decided it was best to leave the car on the hill by the side of the road due to me not having confidence to stop. I phoned Lexus about this and they told me that the ABS only works above 2mph. So under this speed the car will slide. Albeit very slowly, it would still have damaged the 5 series.

I thought that the snow button was a great idea on my old IS200 until I came to use it. I pressed the snow button as it was snowing and when I went up a steep hill the IS got stuck. There were Vectra's, polo's etc driving passed me as the back wheels would spin and then stop and then spin again and stop on the spot. I was going nowhere, so I turned it off and wheel span up the hill. It was the only way I could go up.

On the way home that evening coming down the hill the traffic was going very slow as it was like sheet ice. The car in front of me was a new plate 5 series BMW and so i was being careful not to slide into the back of it. However, the IS's anti lock brakes stopped working when the car was nearly at a standstill and the car was sliding towards the 5 series. I had to let the brakes off and swerve out of the way to miss it. I decided it was best to leave the car on the hill by the side of the road due to me not having confidence to stop. I phoned Lexus about this and they told me that the ABS only works above 2mph. So under this speed the car will slide. Albeit very slowly, it would still have damaged the 5 series.

the reason others were going up the hill is because:

1.FWD

2. thinner tyres

3.more weight over the drive wheels

4. prob a blockier tread pattern on the tyres.

also let me guess you had summer tyres on?

the snow button does the following: reduces throttle sensitivity also when activated i have found when the wheels do spin the TC doesnt activate ( or not so much). Of course it is really only effective when combined with the prober equipment - winter tyres!

only sensible where there is a substantial amount of snow, try driving with chains on a dusting/light amount of snow and it will be very rough, the chains wont last long, break and turn your wheels into a threshing machine desroying the car in the process

ok if i makes you feel better it makes it Snow, then a Avalanche will start from the kerb side, and try to push you off the Road :tomato:

• 1 month later...

ok if i makes you feel better it makes it Snow, then a Avalanche will start from the kerb side, and try to push you off the Road :tomato:

Hi people just had my lexus Is 200 over a week learning a lot from this owners club site best one seen yet, just sold my Toyota land cruiser 4.2 turbo diesel i had for the last five years, i thought we would have some Serious snow but only had Scattering really over last five years so do not think the snow button will be used much i hope.

thanks, steve

I did manage to get 35mpg on the trip to germany, driving with the snow button on most of the time, just meant my acceleration wasn't as quick as normal :)

Seemed bloody quick to me!!!!!

I did manage to get 35mpg on the trip to germany, driving with the snow button on most of the time, just meant my acceleration wasn't as quick as normal :)

Seemed bloody quick to me!!!!!

:D

I did turn it off a few times, you did a good job of trying to keep up tho ;)