Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had a 'parking incident' a week or two ago... :blush: (first car with no rear wipe and long boot)

I have taken the car to a paint guy and was planning on having it fixed next week.

This weekend however I was cleaning the wife's people pig ang I noticed that the primer that seemed to be showing through my paint in my dent seemed to be on the outside of the car paint.

Lot's of T cut later it seems that all the grey primer was lampost paint not primer and the LS paint is unbroken!

Considering the dent is A3 paper sixe and 50mm deep I pushed most of it out and the paint is still unbroken!

How thick/maluable is this stuff?!

I'm gona live with the pushed out dent for now untill I can afford a respray on this pannell and both bumpers (scuffed by previous owner) but I don't think the re-spray is going to get close to the smoothness and depth of paint that is there... just annoyed I dented it in the first place!

What is later model LS paint like?

There's a brend new IS parked outside my squash club and it seems quite Orangepeely. :unsure:

I had a 'parking incident' a week or two ago... :blush: (first car with no rear wipe and long boot)

I have taken the car to a paint guy and was planning on having it fixed next week.

This weekend however I was cleaning the wife's people pig ang I noticed that the primer that seemed to be showing through my paint in my dent seemed to be on the outside of the car paint.

Lot's of T cut later it seems that all the grey primer was lampost paint not primer and the LS paint is unbroken!

Considering the dent is A3 paper sixe and 50mm deep I pushed most of it out and the paint is still unbroken!

How thick/maluable is this stuff?!

I'm gona live with the pushed out dent for now untill I can afford a respray on this pannell and both bumpers (scuffed by previous owner) but I don't think the re-spray is going to get close to the smoothness and depth of paint that is there... just annoyed I dented it in the first place!

What is later model LS paint like?

There's a brend new IS parked outside my squash club and it seems quite Orangepeely. :unsure:

mate,

You have to remember that Lexus paint usually has 7 layers. Well it used to anyway. Another point to remember is that with the series 1 LS400, Toyota went above and beyond normal parameters in their quest to beat the crap out of Merc/Audi/BMW and Jaguar. Once the brand got established, cost cutting got involved in car production, hence, new GS and IS models with rattles!

Blimey!

The paint job on my series 1 LS is the worst I've had on any car! It really is terrible! It's supposed to be Mica Red metallic, but most panels except doors and wings would be better described as 'Cloudy Grey'. The bonnet has an extreme case of psoriasis where the lacquer is quite literally flaking off! Now, the previous owner was very negligent and also lived by the sea which didn't help. (There's evidence of a prang, too.) In some ways I wish I'd held out for a better example, but the test drive just blew me away. The only other car I'd driven which came close in the smoothness stakes was a Ford Crown Vic in the US. I can't afford a full respray so I'm stuck with it, but that's the only problem. And I'd sooner pour money into the mechanics anyhow.

Funnily enough, I saw a Merc the other week with an identical problem - same colour, too. Must be contagious...

:unsure: