Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - What Quentin Says

Just spotted this:-

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/quentinwills...name_index.html

Halfway down he says....

I JUST LUV THE LEXUS!

So quiet all you hear is engines of OTHER cars

THE world's most sophisticated luxury car goes on sale next January at £60,000.

The Lexus LS460 is a technological tour de force like no other car before it.

As well as all those familiar Lexus virtues we now take for granted, this new LS has its own Driver Monitoring System that will sense if you take your eyes off the road, while rear bumper-mounted radar will make sure your headrest is adjusted to prevent whiplash in the event of a collision.

It'll park itself (literally) and stiffen the suspension and steering the faster you drive.

There's an eight-speed auto gearbox coupled to a quad-cam 4.6-litre V8 that will hurl you to 60 in five-and-a-bit seconds, romp all the way to a limited 155 and return 25 mpg.

The LS460 is so quiet you can actually hear the engines of other lesser machines around you. They did it in 1990 and they've done it again - Lexus have re-written the luxury car rule book, creating a benchmark for engine sophistication, transmission refinement and almost total lack of noise, vibration or harshness. But I can hear the dissenters now. Is being as quiet as a church mouse in carpet slippers a good thing? Are the virtues that the Japanese hold so dear considered a disadvantage among European buyers?

I would say that if you want something that sounds like a BMW M5, you should buy a BMW M5. But if you want a car that rides as smoothly as unrolled silk and is quiet as a monastery, you should buy a Lexus. Of one thing I'm sure.

Sitting in my drive is a 1995 Lexus LS400 with 100,000 miles on the clock.

The Mercedes, the BMWs and the Range Rovers come and go, but the Lexus stays, because it is quite simply the most reliable car in my life.

In all those 100,000 miles, nothing, absolutely nothing, has ever gone wrong. It's still as quiet as the day I bought it, still as refined and still a source of silent amazement.

And the LS460 will be exactly the same. The luxury car with a refinement that never goes away.

ENGINE 4608cc V8

POWER 375 bhp TOP SPEED 155mph (limited) 0-60 5.3 secs

PRICE £60,000 CO2 261g/km

WHO'D DRIVE IT: Pop technocrats who favour silence

Quentin Wilson has always been a fan of Lexus! I remember when he used to do Top Gear years ago and he measured that the LS400 was quieter then a Merc S-Class. He has been raving about the reliability for years!

Wish he was back on TV, to give some balance to the anti-Lexus current Tog Gear/Media!

take me somewhere nice

pay for my hotel

lend me a car for the week

give me a few freebies

and i will give you a good opinion of a car

might even forget about the bad points if you buy me dinner

:whistling:

never quite sure why we value the opinions of cosseted presenters or journalists

who without a doubt favour manufacturers who give them the most

give the cars to high mileage reps and get some honest opinions

i do believe the LS460 is a superb car, but i would rather have my own experience in one to believe it :)