Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bumper Prep

Parthiban

I bought a used TTE front bumper off eBay a few weeks ago and plan to get it sprayed and fitted soon. All the bodyshops I've spoken to have said that the main part of the work (and therefore cost) is to prep the bumper (as its already painted).

My question is, is this simply a case of sanding it down? And if so, is it something I can do myself - and do I need anything for it besides some kind of sandpaper which I assume I can get from Halfords or similar?

Any help would be great :)

:) you don't need to take it back to primer.

all you need to do is get some wet & dry 1200/ 1400 grade bucket of soapy water and flat it down.

Just get the shine off the bumper so the new paint has something to key to..

If it has got a lot of stone chips just the same just flat them down till you are happy.

take it down to where you want it spraying and bobs yer uncle.. :winky:

:) you don't need to take it back to primer.

all you need to do is get some wet & dry 1200/ 1400 grade bucket of soapy water and flat it down.

Just get the shine off the bumper so the new paint has something to key to..

If it has got a lot of stone chips just the same just flat them down till you are happy.

take it down to where you want it spraying and bobs yer uncle.. :winky:

Its always best to, that way its easier to see imperfectiosn and avoids paint reactions....

You cannot put a 2-pack paint on top of a 1-pack paint, if you do it will react and bubble. You can put a 1-pack paint onto a 2-pack paint so you need to check which paint the place you are going to use will use. If any doubt then you should take it all the way back but the spray shop should be able to test the previous painted service to see if it reacts with 2-packs (test with a rag with the 2-pack thinner on it).

2-packs are better much stronger and will last longer to rubbing, polishing and small impacts!!!!

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links