Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Tyres

xdeity

just been told by my mate that the is200 has to have specific tyres that are very expensive as they were designed for the cars, which like mine, have the navigation system. now i have done a search and come up with a couple of post about people using dunlops and yokohamas etc, but does this effect anything or not.

also, are all the is200 models rear wheel drive, or just some of them.

and finally, my front tyres are more warn than my rear tyres, is it worth swaping them over to try to prolong them

thanks

incorrect , certain manufacturers incorporated a rim guard to an otherwise standard tyre, for the lexus, but any tyre in equavalent size and rating is fine

all rear wheel drive, other than the japanese gita model which was 4 wheel drive

its worth having your geometry checked, sounds like its incorrect, like most is200`s !

I was looking through the LOC knowledge database and came across this info by Colin Barber that might help if you have Dunlop SP9000 tyres fitted:

For a few years Lexus fitted Dunlop SP9000 tyres to the IS200 in the UK. These tyres were specially designed for the IS200 and differ from the standard SP9000 tyres available in the UK. They normally cost about £10 more over the standard version.

The following information has been provided by Dunlop Tyres/Goodyear on the differences and how to tell the OEM and standard tyres apart:

"The biggest differences in the 215 40 r 17 Dunlop SP9000 for the Lexus are internal. The tyres construction is tuned to compliment the way the car handles.

The Lexus tyre is made in Japan while the standard SP9000 is made in Germany. Both tyres have stickers on the tread when new. They are removed when fitted. The sticker will say if the tyre is for the Lexus should it be the correct one. Should the sticker have been dislodged then look for made in Japan on the tyre."

If the above is right then Bazza isn't totally correct in saying the only difference is the rim guard.

Dunlop SP9000 is what the original IS200 came's with. Those are what i have replaced mine with again.

I believe the special code for the Lexus is Dunlop SP9000 L (for Lexus). It just has an extra bit of rubber to protect the rim from kerbing. Probably cost you about £10 on top of a normal SP9000. So it's really down to you how protective you are over your alloys? :)