Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Getting An Altezza...

nightSpirit

Been looking for a new daily driver for a short while now and the trail has LED me to the altezza rs200, partly because I have a side business importing parts so I can tune it fairly cheaply...and also because it shares the BEAM'S lump with the MR2 (I have a 448hp MR2 turbo as a weekend car). Discovering it was supposedly a good drivers car and RWD are a bonus ;)

What I would like to know is...what are the running costs/mpg like.

Are there any known problems with the cars, getting parts etc?

What benefits over the IS200 (which is cheaper).

What sort of price would I expect to pay for a 1999 with low mileage Z edition with the nice kit on there?

What is the tuning potential for these cars? I was thinking of some Advan RGs 18", a set of Tein's, Blitz full exhaust and filter jsut to liven things up a bit as I may do the odd track day (something else that appeals to me!).

Is the auto, or manual a better purchase...in the auto, is the e-shift like paddle? smooth?

What sort of toys does the car come with absolute standard, apart from A/C...elec windows? elec seats? leather? etc.

I'd import the car in the next few months from Japan through the business if all seems good.

I understand these questions might have been asked many many times, but please humour me :) and if anyone in the Guildford area with a tezza would like to take me for a spin in return for a spin in my MR2...I'd be most appreciative!! :D

Interesting you say the IS200 is cheaper, most people have found that the Altezza is cheaper as imports often are.

Theres a few Altezza owners on here, im sure they can answer any questions you may :D

The Altezza as far as im aware does not coem with Electric seats as they are cloth. Not sure on the Z edition mind.

Welcome to LOC!

Welcome to the club mate I'll try to answer a few Q's for ya

What I would like to know is...what are the running costs/mpg like.

I use mine just for the weekends and the odd evening, I like to go fast (which is why I've got it) and would say mine is about 25 mpgs but normally only doing short runs, much better on long drives though

Are there any known problems with the cars, getting parts etc?

most of the car is the same as the IS so most parts not a prob. tuning parts you can get a fair bit in the uk for performance mods or just import, doesn't look like a prob for you

What benefits over the IS200 (which is cheaper).

more power :D , a uk IS is more refined than an imported RS

What sort of price would I expect to pay for a 1999 with low mileage Z edition with the nice kit on there?

Dunno, I've got the legana kit on my which is a front bumper, TRD skirts (side and rear) this was fitted as standard to some models, earlier ones I believe

What is the tuning potential for these cars? I was thinking of some Advan RGs 18", a set of Tein's, Blitz full exhaust and filter just to liven things up a bit as I may do the odd track day (something else that appeals to me!).

400-500hp at a guess

I'm looking to be running over 200rwhp by the end of the year (fingers crossed) just on a N/A set up

Is the auto, or manual a better purchase...in the auto, is the e-shift like paddle? smooth?

I have a 6 speed MT, the auto is a 5 speed box,

MT 210hp - Auto 200hp as standard

think the Eshift is 2 buttons rather than a padel system

What sort of toys does the car come with absolute standard, apart from A/C...elec windows? elec seats? leather? etc.

there's a few post on the different specs of the RS in this forum so have a good look about,

never really bothered me all I wanted was a RS

hope thats of some help

Welcome to LOC :D

Robin has answered most of the questions.

The Z Edition has cloth seats and no electrics for moving them, but hey you set the seat and that's it.

The Tip is 5 speed and the change is by 4 buttons on the wheels spokes, the ones on the front change down and the ones behind change up.

Mine has been on a dyno and puts out about 215 - 220 at the fly, (RS-R manifold and downpipe and HKS induction).

IMHO is if you want to tune go for a manual but they are "rockinghorse poo". DON'T BE TEMPTED TO BUY AN UNREGISTERED OR IMPORT A 6MT WITHOUT POSTING HERE FIRST depending on age and ECU you may not get it through EVSA.

Other than that great car and fun to drive, good luck in the hunt.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Anyone on here near me fancy showing me their car? I'll go for the MT6 then, there are plenty of 'em at auction which is a good thing!. Most of the cars I've seen in white have the legana kit on there, not sure whether I want black/gunmetal or white..

Quite impressed with the quotes of mpg, giving it large and getting 25mpg isn't bad at all!! my MR2 manages around 70 miles on 20quid of finest optimax.

Hopefully I'll post up in a few months time or so with some pics of the motor.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Anyone on here near me fancy showing me their car? I'll go for the MT6 then, there are plenty of 'em at auction which is a good thing!. Most of the cars I've seen in white have the legana kit on there, not sure whether I want black/gunmetal or white..

Quite impressed with the quotes of mpg, giving it large and getting 25mpg isn't bad at all!! my MR2 manages around 70 miles on 20quid of finest optimax.

Hopefully I'll post up in a few months time or so with some pics of the motor.

is your name mark? from night-spirit? :unsure:

if not welcome anyway and nice choice if you go for the altezza B)

Been looking for a new daily driver for a short while now and the trail has led me to the altezza rs200, partly because I have a side business importing parts so I can tune it fairly cheaply...and also because it shares the BEAM'S lump with the MR2 (I have a 448hp MR2 turbo as a weekend car). Discovering it was supposedly a good drivers car and RWD are a bonus ;)

I don't think they are the exact same... The BEAMS MR2 is the red head and has single VVti, whereas the RS200 is the black head and dual VVti...

What I would like to know is...what are the running costs/mpg like. I get around the 20 mpg, could get waaaaay more but it's just to much fun, would have bought an IS200 if i wasn't interested in power

Are there any known problems with the cars, getting parts etc? ...firstly it's a Toyota, local dealer seems to be able to source stuff once you have a part no.

What benefits over the IS200 (which is cheaper). power...

What is the tuning potential for these cars? I was thinking of some Advan RGs 18", a set of Tein's, Blitz full exhaust and filter jsut to liven things up a bit as I may do the odd track day (something else that appeals to me!).

That i'm not sure, but to quote Monster Mat, they are already a stressed engine......

yup.. and aggressive too, almost instant.....don't dismiss it without driving one, only thing about the auto is ... you can select a maximum gear and it won't go above that, you will bounce of the limiter, but the car will still use all the gears up as far as the selected gear, so it might kickdown in a corner but won't shift up... takes a while to learn but loads of fun....

giving the choice again, i'd still buy a Tiptronic

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links