Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help With Choice

melmarks

I am looking for advice on what to do next.

I have had an SC430 for over 4 years and now am ready to change. My quandry is whether to buy a newer updated version of the Lexus or to go to an alternative model. The two I had in mind were a pre owned SL500 Merc or the 645 convertible BMW.

I have been delighted with the SC wonder if something different might be better.

Has anyone out there had any experience of the alternatives or any feedback on them

I am looking for advice on what to do next.

I have had an SC430 for over 4 years and now am ready to change. My quandry is whether to buy a newer updated version of the Lexus or to go to an alternative model. The two I had in mind were a pre owned SL500 Merc or the 645 convertible BMW.

I have been delighted with the SC wonder if something different might be better.

Has anyone out there had any experience of the alternatives or any feedback on them

SL500 if you care about traditional luxury convertible, with oooozes of class. 645 looks sharp, and is performance oriented since it's a Beemer.

Why not a Jaguar XKR? Brutal performance, and getting cheap after the intro of the new XKR (which beats the M6 in the latest roadtests).

Ahhh, you lucky sod, what a choice to have. Incidentally, I drove the 2004 model SC430 round the track at a Lexus open day. We had to drive round in it at 50-60mph, and then apply the brake really sharply (to demonstrate the ABS etc). ANyway, with the top up, it was great. With the top down, it wandered all over the place, stopped real badly and felt like as solid as a custard tart. Great interior and what a lovely cruiser though.

The new XKR, the old one is very dated and has the old S type switchgear (which is why I passed up for a new S-type a few years ago).

The merc if you do not need a 4 seater (yes I do carry kids in my sc and they have lived to tell the tale)!

The 6 series is quite basic compared to the above for extras etc.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it would have to be a tin roof convertible so that dont leave much choice.. another SC or the SL500.

I wouldnt buy the SL500 after owning an SC. I think I would just be really let down by reliability and customer care (yes, Ive had a Merc before).. however if it was and SL600 or the AMG SL then you'd be a fool not to, but then those are alot higher step up.. and price!

But be careful if you drive a Mercedes convertible you'll end up like this guy !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWYVGl5ffk4

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same challenge earlier this year and ended up buying again a SC.

SL500

a real two seater roadster. No space for luggage when you want to take your golf clubs with you. Also look and feel is significant at a lower level than the SC. And based on the current car break down statistics not realy an option

Porsche

FUN on the road - Fun for the boy - but a pain after 2 hrs on a longer distance

Jaguar

not competitive for various reasons - woodwork and interieur was however best

Masserati

FUN FUN FUN - exept for cost of service & insurance.

BMW

no option - I had BMW before and got realy upset about their arogant dealership

So at the end we got the 06 SC and are again a happy LEXUS customer....

These 3 cars were exactly what i considered before I bought the SC!

I test drove the BMW, it was plasticky inside, looks like its been beaten with a baseball bat and is driven by knobs! Interestingly on the way to the test drive i had a 4.4 convertible right up my chuff on a dual carriageway. I pulled over and he couldnt get passed :lol: (in my 350Z) The list of options and arrogant dealers with silly servicing costs just put me off. The engine at 333lbft and +50hp is better for a high revving engine but to be honest if you are going to buy one of these then the new 4.8 is the one to get.

SL is over priced but the new engines are a big improvement.Have heard of so many reliability problems put me off. I do however think it is a better looking car but the wife disagrees.

SC wins on exclusivity, luxury, specification, servicing costs and bomb proof reliability :D

Paul