Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning of IS200 to 200bhp without kompressor!!!

George

There is a firm in Ortenburg Germany that will tune the IS200 to either 180bhp (stage 1) or 200bhp (stage 2). This is done through porting of the engine, modifying intake and exhaust, etc, etc. No turbo, no supercharger.

Stage 1 costs about 1500 EURO and stage 2 3000 EURO + 16% VAT and 20 EURO / hour in work fee.

Se attached price list that they sent me. It's in German but you can you can figure it out in general. Give them a call if you are interested !

Oh look at the spoiler kit (pictures below in the .pdf file) they offer with double sports-silencers. For 1300 EURO. Is it rad or what !

The same 200 bhp through normal aspiration, must be an altogether different feel !! And 1/2 price to the kompressor !

What do you think...

that exhaust does look pretty good.

the kit reminds me of me old bmw m-technic kit, 'specially the side skirt with a 'twist' in it

i'm sure the clever mechanical boys on the site will give good comments on the engine mods - i'm just not even slightly qualified to do that! :rolleyes:

COOL!! Could we get the valued opinions of people like supercharged is and superchargedmorph to comment. I would love to know what they think. I have been contemplating getting more power for way too long now! :P Next thing before that is a twin exhaust custom system. I met a guy in London with and IS200 S and it sounded wikid!

I am not too sure on that sort of mod, If it was a decent upgrade then the 3 top tunners in uk and all the top ones in USA would be doing something similar but no-one is. I believe that you would not get the sort of urgency through the gearbox as supercharged,dboey and I get. Also there is a suspision that we have a bit more than 205bhp, possibly up to 220bhp. I would not like my engine torn apart like that. It may be left more powerfull but not as smoooooth. Just my opinion I am no mechanic.

Savage Performance Cars in Germany, the tuning firm, their phone number is 08542-917461 preceded by the country code for Germany (drop the 0 when calling from abroad).

Together with the TTE compressor you might be looking at one of the fastest IS in the world !!!

I don't think anyone has combined the two. Since the natural aspiration tuning works independently of the compressor. We might be looking at 250 bhp supercharged. That would probably give you 0-62 times of around 5.5 sek !! Unfortunately the top speed will be limited to 215 km/h due to the gearing.

I personally don't doubt that they can get 200 bhp out of the engine. They upgrade the throttle body as well. This is a serious firm, they have tuning programs for all Lexus models and Toyotas. They specialize in Toyota.

Their tuning techniques are not licensed.

Give them a call and take a drive to Germany and they will surely accomodate you.

The IS200 6-speed gearing allows it to do

134 MPH = 215 km/h. This is a gearing limitation and not a CPU limitation like in the BMW M3 which is electronically governed to 250km/h so that Hans don't smash his M into sauer kraut on the autobahn.

This gearing is actually quite unusual because it will do top speed at top gear and top RPM.

Most cars do top speed at at 2000 rpm lower than redline rpm.

This would explain the IS relatively high RPM at free-way cruising speed but also expalins it's high-reving powerband.

The IS300 does 235 km/h = 147 MPH.

To do 240 km/h you would have to change the final gear ratio. It would give you slower 0-60 times.

On the other hand how often are you driving 215 km/h let alone 160 km/h even?!

[Edited on 2-3-2002 by George]

I'd be interested in seeing some power curves for this conversion. If the top end power comes at the expense of midrange (most likely) then I'd rather save my money for the supercharger conversion.

I find it strange that only one company is offering this kind of upgrade.

As I've mentioned before K&N said they could not improve significantly on the standard intake, and the standard exhaust is only restrictive in the back box, so all the extra power is apparently coming from head work, presumably upped compression and extra fuel. Seems a big increase for the work involved, but it'll be interesting to find out more.

• 10 years later...

My understanding of the 1G lump in the 200 is that it's a pretty inefficient engine, and while it can take a bunch of power through it, it can't make that power itself. Me personally, I'd love to have over 200bhp in it - I think that's what it should have had from the beginning - but it seems the only two viable options for this are super or turbo charging. If the stock supercharger adds ~50bhp, taking it to just over 200 (or even as much as 215/220 as someone on here said) that's great, but the cost of doing that here, with the scarcity of TTE kits, is about £2-£2.5k. If someone wanted 250bhp by doing these N/A mods and then bolting on a charger, that must be upwards of £4k, if not £5k - and for that sort of money, you're better off doing a turbo conversion; with a stock, healthy rebuilt 200 lump, and the right set up, turbo charging has been shown to run 280bhp all day long (and probably cost £5/£6k all in for parts, rebuilding, fitting, setting up, mapping, etc)

Me personally, I love the non-urgency, the smoothness and the quietness of the standard engine, just think it's underpowered. I'd much rather a turbo conversion, done OEM style like an Audi or VW turbo engine, with little to no extra noise, except the little tell tale whistle of a turbo, and have it set up that it boost progressively from early on in the rev range right up to the redline, so it retains the smooth power feed.

Whilst some say "thats what a supercharger is for!" - that maybe. But every video I've seen of a S/C IS has included a horrible whine from the charger itself, which is something I don't want (maybe I would if I was going for all out modded style, like I used to back in the day, but now it's more about subtlety and refinement for me)

only way to get the IS200 to make 200 or more bhp is to get it to rev to between 8.5 to 9,000 RPM but will either need 'valve lift' like the ones on Hondas VTEC or dual VVT-i like the one on RS200 Altezza to inhale and exhaust air quickly at those high rpm's . if there is a reliable ECU on market to extend the rpm to these figures then you can happily hit 197 to 210 bhp at 8500 - 9000 rpms without help from a turbo or supercharger but gear ratios might need adjusting aswell. I read somewhere the 6 speed gearbox in IS200 is the same as the one's in Honda Civic Type R's and the S2000 which makes 240 bhp from the 2 litre but not sure if thier ratios are the same as ones on the IS's tho..

I think Lexus wanted the IS200 to have a blend of smooth luxury drive with sensible performance without being over the top.. I mean they could have used the 1G-GTE which is also a 6 cylinder turbo motor from factory for the IS200 but they didnt...maybe they didnt want to make it a hardcore (ASBO) car due to the Luxury nature of a Lexus..