Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Red Hot Rear Calipers/discs?

Mr Flibble

Just done the largest jouney i've ever driven in my IS200 and after a while it starts to sound like I've got a flat spot on the tire which keeps going round n around getting faster as i accelerate. I know the tires and alloys are fine the car was only serviced a month ago.

When I got home i checked all the wheels and the the rear drivers side brake is soooooo flippin hot you can feel the heat radiating off it without putting your hand even near the alloy wheel. It stinks allot too like a metal on metal or electrical burning.

All my other wheels are no where near as hot.

I'm worried i might muck up my discs if i continue driving the car like this although i do need it for work. Is that the problem in the first place? :duh:

Anybody got any ideas what this could be and should I continue to drive the car like this as my work place is only 3miles from where i live?

Here's a pic of the rear discs.

reardiscs.jpg

Could be a sticking piston..... is the disc shiney on the other side?

The disc on the other side is spotless no corrosion what so ever. Sounds like your probably right, is this an expensive job if i had it done by a garage and what parts would i need to buy?

Thanks for your help

- Paul

There is a caliper recondition kit available from the dealer, but some one on here recently who had a similar problem but he discovered that it was the sliding part(bar) of the caliper that was seized and not the piston itself, all it needed was a good clean and grease it back up.... maybe try that first :)

There is a caliper recondition kit available from the dealer, but some one on here recently who had a similar problem but he discovered that it was the sliding part(bar) of the caliper that was seized and not the piston itself, all it needed was a good clean and grease it back up.... maybe try that first :)

Thanks for the Info Noel, I have jacked the car up and checked out the brakes since. The corroded disc on rear passenger side does not brake atall except for when you use the handbrake which is worrying, the rear driver side disc looks fine it brakes and the handbrake works on it too hence it's nice and shiny.

Think the heat may of been the rear driver side brake compensating for the rear passenger side brake not working atall? :unsure: Going to get a local garage to take a look anyway. I hope it can be fixed without needing a new caliper.

- Paul :)

Thanks for the Info Noel, I have jacked the car up and checked out the brakes since. The corroded disc on rear passenger side does not brake atall except for when you use the handbrake which is worrying, the rear driver side disc looks fine it brakes and the handbrake works on it too hence it's nice and shiny.

Think the heat may of been the rear driver side brake compensating for the rear passenger side brake not working atall? :unsure: Going to get a local garage to take a look anyway. I hope it can be fixed without needing a new caliper.

- Paul :)

Handbrake shoes are actually inside the drum, totally seperate to the disc and pads... ok :)

Hi Paul,

Really sounds like the piston on the outside has seized up.... as there are two opposing pistons on the rear calipers IIRC...... (wonder if they need to be bleed of any air too)....whereas on the fronts a seized slider bar could be causing it....

Do they not test the brake balance when they MOT the cars?.... when was it last done?

taking it to a garage sounds like the thing to do..... get a quote first, maybe you could pickup a secondhand caliper cheaper and fit it yourself ?

Hi Paul,

Really sounds like the piston on the outside has seized up.... as there are two opposing pistons on the rear calipers IIRC...... (wonder if they need to be bleed of any air too)....whereas on the fronts a seized slider bar could be causing it....

Do they not test the brake balance when they MOT the cars?.... when was it last done?

taking it to a garage sounds like the thing to do..... get a quote first, maybe you could pickup a secondhand caliper cheaper and fit it yourself ?

The car was Mot'd just before i bought it which was 7th of March, owned the car for 7 months now. Not sure if they test the brake balancing on an MOT. :unsure:

If i have to replace the the caliper i might aswell get some discs whilst I'm at it?, i've already got a set of Mintex pads gathering dust so i may as well use them aswell. Will ask garage about bleeding the air too, i didn't think of that.

Lexus Cambridge have quoted £260 per caliper and £60.86 per disc that's ex VAT, any cheaper places you know of?. It seems that everytime i save up for my Prolex Kazama the money ends up going on something else instead. :rolleyes: