Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cassette Tape Adapter

bondms

My IS200 plays audio cassettes with no problem but I've just tried using a tape adaptor in order to plug a portable mp3 player in and I'm having problems. It works for a few seconds and then automatically ejects the adaptor. I guess this is because the adaptor doesn't drive the secondary spindle causing the player to think there's a problem with the tape.

Has anyone else either had this problem or used a cassette adaptor successfully in their IS?

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes i have had a similar problem about a year ago.

Tried to use a cassette adapter to play ipod through the system. Except the tape adapter itself was old, and took quite a force moving the cogs on the tape. So what kept happening was that the Autoreverse would kick in and keep changing sides. It never ejected the tape, but the constant autoreversing of the tape meant i couldn't listen to the music properly. I ended up buying a new one from Comet for a tenner. Which worked a treat.

So the answer to the question... yes i have experienced this before, and the reason is likely because the lexus player hasn't enough strength in the motor to spin the cog on the tape..

Thanks for all the advise.

My problem isn't caused by the cogs being too stiff because my adaptor doesn't have any cogs in it, just two holes. Several of you have had success though so it must be possible; I'll investigate further to see if I can work out why I'm having problems. Failing that I'll consider other options such as the FM modulator.

Cheers,

Mark.

Problem now solved :)

I bought a new adaptor this morning (for only £2.97) and it works a treat. There are two differences between this one and my original one. I'm not sure which of these differences is the important one but I'm happy it's now working. Differences:

1) The new tape adaptor drives the secondary cog when the primary cog is driven.

2) The new tape adaptor has a mechanism to slow down the primary cog so that it doesn't spin freely at maximum speed.

Problem now solved :)

I bought a new adaptor this morning (for only £2.97) and it works a treat. There are two differences between this one and my original one. I'm not sure which of these differences is the important one but I'm happy it's now working. Differences:

1) The new tape adaptor drives the secondary cog when the primary cog is driven.

2) The new tape adaptor has a mechanism to slow down the primary cog so that it doesn't spin freely at maximum speed.

The first one is the culprit. Most cassette players will stop or auto reverse when one of the cogs stop spinning.

Seeing as the problem is solved can i be so bold as to go off topic?

Can anyone recommend a decent FM transceiver. I have an extrememac airplay FM transceiver which is great but nowhere near as good a tape connection to an ipod. I sometimes use a landcruiser for work and have to use the FM device and it gives me great problems when i am going through towns. I place the ipod on the dash so it is near the aerial and have tried many frequencies most of which end up being scrambled through towns plus the added lack of clarity. I understand the lack of quality which i can live with but the interference is too much.

what should i do/buy?

Can anyone recommend a decent FM transceiver. I have an extrememac airplay FM transceiver which is great but nowhere near as good a tape connection to an ipod. I sometimes use a landcruiser for work and have to use the FM device and it gives me great problems when i am going through towns. I place the ipod on the dash so it is near the aerial and have tried many frequencies most of which end up being scrambled through towns plus the added lack of clarity. I understand the lack of quality which i can live with but the interference is too much.

what should i do/buy?

I use one of these FM Modulators it has about 7 fm channels to choose from used mine for about 2 years no probs it has a slot for a usb device at the top if you use a memory stick it has back\forward buttons to skip through tracks and a 3.5 mm phono socket on the side for ipod or something else

what should i do/buy?

The best quality is to use the AUX Adaptor as shown HERE

The best quality is to use the AUX Adaptor as shown HERE

How much is the aux in and where can I get it?

Used an FM transmitter in my last car, and a cassette adapter now. The FM transmitter worked OK but the quality and reliability of the cassette adapter is far better. It's connected to a car PC, I find that the cassette ejects while the PC is booting up and there is no audio being sent to the adapter. Once it has booted up and I push the cassette in again it plays fine. It ejects once at the start, not 100% sure if it's because there is no audio, or whether the stereo would spit it out everytime it's just started up.

Anyway, I want an aux in....

Rich.

How much is the aux in and where can I get it?

Used an FM transmitter in my last car, and a cassette adapter now. The FM transmitter worked OK but the quality and reliability of the cassette adapter is far better. It's connected to a car PC, I find that the cassette ejects while the PC is booting up and there is no audio being sent to the adapter. Once it has booted up and I push the cassette in again it plays fine. It ejects once at the start, not 100% sure if it's because there is no audio, or whether the stereo would spit it out everytime it's just started up.

Anyway, I want an aux in....

Rich.

Contact Prolex UK for more detail