Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Trip

kwatt

Okay I had a Honda Accord CDTi on an 05 plate and, with some amusement it has to be said as I didn't want to upset anyone, read the comment from a previous poster about water coming in the window or was it th edoor when you opened it? I forgoet. But I digress, as before that I had two of the new "*****" Meganes and the Mrs has a CRV. Here's the bad news, they all get water in them when you smoke (if you smoke) and have the window open and they all get a little water in when you open the door. That's the price you pay for modern aerodynamics I guess.

Anyway I got my new IS 250 auto with the multi-media and ACC on it. Black with black interior if you're remotely interested and I got it the second week of September.

Interestingly (Maybe) I didnt' go to see the Beemer, too common and a bit dull IMO. Apart from which you're labelled by driving one as a t**t.

Mercedes, I'm not old enough to have one as I haven't quite gotten to 50 yet and, let's face it, the C Class is as dull as dishwater. In fact dishwater looks more interesting IMO.

Audi A4, nice car, shame about the dash. I mean, what happened? Did they run out of ideas when they got around to doing the inside? It's horrid, it looks like a Vauxhall (sorry Audi, but it just does) in other words a big hunk of black plastic.

And with all the above alternatives there's the price. To get the same spec level on any of them I'd have been looking at to at least be paying £6K more. Not good, especially when they're just dull, boring and common.

So I didnt' bother going to see the Merc or Beemer after I saw the IS.

From the Honda there's a marked improvement. :blush:

It so happens I've had to do some miles this past week or so, testing you understand. :D

So I've covered some 2000+ miles already and I fail to see what anyone's moaning about, the IS is an outstanding car in so many ways, I now read with a large pinch of salt a lot of what the press has said about the new IS. I also think that they've picked up on things so minor it's as if they were looking for things to fail it on... you know, like it's too comfy, yeah right. Or how about the one about the minor controls aren't illuminated.. what the boot and filler release? Really, what planet are these people on?

But I wanted an auto and I wanted ACC and, most importantly with the time I spend in the car, I wanted IPOD connectivity at least, the fact that I can whack in MP3 CDs is just a fantastic bonus.

I get decent MPG considering what the car is and I'll have to spend a lot of time there to offset the extra cost of a similar specc'd German diesel auto.

It's comfy, secure and feels very nice. What one of the press was on about saying it was "twitchy" on the motorway I haven't a clue.

But here's the thing... after 2000 miles in a week or so I still *WANT* to drive the car. I think that's as good a recommendation as you can get.

Am I worried that I didn't drive the Beemer, nope. Do I care that Beemer drivers somehow think that they are superior? Nope. I can be smug about it and just know better.

K.

Okay I had a Honda Accord CDTi on an 05 plate and, with some amusement it has to be said as I didn't want to upset anyone, read the comment from a previous poster about water coming in the window or was it th edoor when you opened it? I forgoet. But I digress, as before that I had two of the new "*****" Meganes and the Mrs has a CRV. Here's the bad news, they all get water in them when you smoke (if you smoke) and have the window open and they all get a little water in when you open the door. That's the price you pay for modern aerodynamics I guess.

Anyway I got my new IS 250 auto with the multi-media and ACC on it. Black with black interior if you're remotely interested and I got it the second week of September.

Interestingly (Maybe) I didnt' go to see the Beemer, too common and a bit dull IMO. Apart from which you're labelled by driving one as a t**t.

Mercedes, I'm not old enough to have one as I haven't quite gotten to 50 yet and, let's face it, the C Class is as dull as dishwater. In fact dishwater looks more interesting IMO.

Audi A4, nice car, shame about the dash. I mean, what happened? Did they run out of ideas when they got around to doing the inside? It's horrid, it looks like a Vauxhall (sorry Audi, but it just does) in other words a big hunk of black plastic.

And with all the above alternatives there's the price. To get the same spec level on any of them I'd have been looking at to at least be paying £6K more. Not good, especially when they're just dull, boring and common.

So I didnt' bother going to see the Merc or Beemer after I saw the IS.

From the Honda there's a marked improvement. :blush:

It so happens I've had to do some miles this past week or so, testing you understand. :D

So I've covered some 2000+ miles already and I fail to see what anyone's moaning about, the IS is an outstanding car in so many ways, I now read with a large pinch of salt a lot of what the press has said about the new IS. I also think that they've picked up on things so minor it's as if they were looking for things to fail it on... you know, like it's too comfy, yeah right. Or how about the one about the minor controls aren't illuminated.. what the boot and filler release? Really, what planet are these people on?

But I wanted an auto and I wanted ACC and, most importantly with the time I spend in the car, I wanted IPOD connectivity at least, the fact that I can whack in MP3 CDs is just a fantastic bonus.

I get decent MPG considering what the car is and I'll have to spend a lot of time there to offset the extra cost of a similar specc'd German diesel auto.

It's comfy, secure and feels very nice. What one of the press was on about saying it was "twitchy" on the motorway I haven't a clue.

But here's the thing... after 2000 miles in a week or so I still *WANT* to drive the car. I think that's as good a recommendation as you can get.

Am I worried that I didn't drive the Beemer, nope. Do I care that Beemer drivers somehow think that they are superior? Nope. I can be smug about it and just know better.

K.

Best read I've had for some time, and sums up my feelings exactly....and Lexus do at least listen 'cos the 2007 model now has those minor controls positioned horizontally and illuminated :D The whingers are going to be rapidly running out of things to complain about...mmm but just a minute, I notice my rear mirror vibrates when I wind the base up on that superb Mark Levinson sound system, and why do I have a six slot player in the dash when I've got 1400 tracks on my iPod. :whistling:

Great Post, Made me giggle. Glad you enjoy it. Unfortunatly (very jealous :sick: ) I do not have the New IS but I know what you mean about diving the car. :D were going to wales next week (aprox 4hours drive) Ive never felt like this in any other car but in this one I'm looking forward to it. My wife has offered to split the journy and she would drive half, I very kindly :question: declined her offer!? (what a gentleman) I think there may be a selfish streak coming out in me? :unsure:

Sorted that one...my wife drives our IS200 Sport...didn't want it when I bought it, now cannot be without it. It's now 'her' car but I still get to drive it occasionally, and she doesn't feel the need to drive the 250.

What is it with the Lexus..to be honest I didn't go out of my way to find my first one and it was a case of 'it'll do', but having driven it for a few weeks there was no turning back.

Sorted that one...my wife drives our IS200 Sport...didn't want it when I bought it, now cannot be without it. It's now 'her' car but I still get to drive it occasionally, and she doesn't feel the need to drive the 250.

What is it with the Lexus..to be honest I didn't go out of my way to find my first one and it was a case of 'it'll do', but having driven it for a few weeks there was no turning back.

Nice to hear some really positive comments instead of the normal whinging that seems to endlessy fill this website. Glad you all love your Lex's I work for Lexus and have driven different models for the last 2 years. If I ever leave, I'll buy one. To put it palinly, i've had 4 New IS models since the launch, and I still love getting in that car every morning and driving to work. My wife loves me driving her to work in the car, I would probably have a greater feeling of well being if I owned the car, but nevertheless, I treat it as my own, I love it. And I love driving past the BMW's and seeing their little faces looking over the cheap dashboards at me. Ha, LONG LIVE THE LEXUS.

p.s Still great to get into an IS200 and have a blast. Feels much more go kart like now since having driven the IS250 for a year.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great post by the way...made me chuckle too.

It's been said before: this is not a Lexus fan club, it's an owners club, so there has to and will always be a balance. However, when you look at the whinging that happens, it's normally relatively minor stuff...

For those of you who have a company car (whether you are a lexus employee or other company) some of the whinging may be annoying.

But to those of us who work hard and pay out of our own pocket, the sometimes shabby treatment by the dealers or rattly quality of the car is even more annoying, and it somehow feels even worse 'cos it shouldn't be there; lets face it, the high Lexus Customer Satisfaction is Legendary...apparently!

Anyway, having said all of this, the car is still the best in this class, and almost everything kwatt has said is absolutely true. Boy the journo's are so wrong!

Great post by the way...made me chuckle too.

It's been said before: this is not a Lexus fan club, it's an owners club, so there has to and will always be a balance. However, when you look at the whinging that happens, it's normally relatively minor stuff...

For those of you who have a company car (whether you are a lexus employee or other company) some of the whinging may be annoying.

But to those of us who work hard and pay out of our own pocket, the sometimes shabby treatment by the dealers or rattly quality of the car is even more annoying, and it somehow feels even worse 'cos it shouldn't be there; lets face it, the high Lexus Customer Satisfaction is Legendary...apparently!

Anyway, having said all of this, the car is still the best in this class, and almost everything kwatt has said is absolutely true. Boy the journo's are so wrong!

Well said, and I understand your point. I guess I am spoilt as I get to drive a new IS every 3 months and all I pay is tax. I suppose I would gripe if I has shelled out my own $$ too and I understand some peoples frustration with dealers. We are not the easiest of places to complain to. However, having been in the motor industry for 10 years and worked with the likes of Volvo, BMW, Citroen I can honestly say I have never known such an accomodating manufacturer and dealer network. We are still a small manufacturer and yes we get things wrong sometimes, but the attention to detail we achieve and LGB are always willing to listen to their customers. Our service is a million times better than I have ever seen at any dealer. Friends and family have bought BMW's Mercedes and Audi and had awful service from all of them. Dont get me wrong, there are some good guys out there, but Lexus strive to achieve perfection, I am proud to be associated with Lexus and I (hopefully) will never have to work elsewhere and I love the product too..... cant wait for ISF...............................(not gonna start that argument again!!!) :D

Thanks guys, it's just some ramblings after using the car a bit as now I feel that I can actually comment with at least the confidence in my own opinion of the car based on experience.

I have to say that reading through the likes of JC's comments of the IS I am a bit miffed as to what it is the press think about Lexus. It seems to me there's a vendetta against them or something. I mean after all, how dare they challenge the mighty Bavarians.

But to me the Lexus is slightly different, especially the IS, as it's not being hailed as "the ultimate driving machine", it's being billed as a damned good car. Which it is IMO.

Comments like, "it doesn't drive as well as the 3 series with all the traction control and stability stuff switched off" make my blood boil, why on Earth would anyone do that, the safety stuff is (believe it or not) there for a reason. Even when you do the jornos still admit that it is a marginal difference between them. I don't know many drivers that would hammer the best part of £30K or more so hard as to find the limits, especially with all the safety aids switched off. But of course the jornos don't care as, if they wrap one into a crash barrier they ain't really too fussed. A case of "don't try this at home children".

I just love the car, I love the toys. I'm sitting in a queue of traffic on the M1 the other day in my nice little cocoon of luxury with the nice draft wafting my ***** and back, listening to an MP3 CD with fantastic clarity and looking at a few 5 and 3 series that floated by and I'm thinking, tough luck matey. As soon as the queue clears I'm back up to speed on radar and I've not missed a beat. After four hours in the car I got out almost as refreshed as when I got in it at first, I didn't even have a sweaty a$$ (not that that's a pleasant thought I realise, but the point is made) from sitting on leather for all that time.

Had I gone for a German car I'd have had something akin to deck chairs as standard that use the hardest canvas known to mankind for the seating. Of course I could have leather, if I wanted to pay and extra £1000 or so and I could have heating in them for an extra few hundred again. The numb a$$ you get comes as standard at no extra cost.

The other one that really winds me up is the multi-media pack. I keep seeing that it is referred to as being expensive. Yeah right. Have these dudes actually priced the same sort of system from our Germanic friends, ever? DVD satnav will almost universally add £2K to the ticket, then add the sound upgrade, usually another £500 or so, then another £400 or something for Bluetooth phone preparation and you still can't get a reversing camera or, in some cases, an IPOD connector. None I saw would play an MP3 DVD, or much of any DVD IIRC.

The Germans make the Lexus MM system look positively like a bargain!

Carry that theme on into ACC and auto as well. The lights I have as standard on my SEL would have cost circa £1500 on an Audi and, as they are an extra, they do bugger all for the resale value other then making the car easier to punt later.

Which leads me on to another topic. Why is it that you have to choose the right extras on a German car? What's that about? And, whatever you seem to choose that's a "good choice sir" of colour and spec when you buy it it always seems to be, "oh if you'd specified....bla...bla...bla..." when you come to sell the car would be worth several thousand quid more. Not a rat race I want to get into when I'm gambling with my own hard earned cash thanks.

But then the extras game with the Germans is only their way of being able to pay for the fancy showrooms as they make shedloads from them and, when sales get tough, they start adding them for "free". Uh huh.

One of my mates suggested I looked at an M3, he said it went very fast. I said yes but you'd want to get where you were going fast as there's sod all to be doing in it. Anyway, where are you going to use that level of performance these days on the roadsthe way they are? You're often either stuck in traffic or toodling about playing spot the GATSO or "speed safety van" on the bridges of the great UK motorways whilst keeping one eye ahead to see where the next snarl up is.

Oh, that's a good thing on the Lex MM system, I just love the little warning triangles that tell you where you're about to get held up. Doesn't stop you being held up, it's just cool that the car knows you will be before you actually are. Of course often you choose to ignore the warning as you know better, sometimes that works for you but often the car wins.

As for the dealers, well I got mine from Lexus Glasgow and so far I can't complain one bit. I've experienced quite a few dealers over the years and my other half worked for Arnold Clark so I know the score. How well they will do in the longer term we'll have to wait and see when it comes service time, but thus far it's been a pleasure.

K.

Nice one mate - at least someone working for Lexus is prepared to say sommit!!

I won't ask you if you know anything about the injector issue on early IS220d's...so I'm not.

To be honest, I know not alot about the injectors, but thats a different issue. I've only read on here whats happening, but I am assured that the newer IS220's coming through have been sorted, drive just like the 220d sport, which is a brilliant drive. Aaaaaaanyway. I'll always be honest when it comes to Lexus, cos there's no point telling tales, and to be honest, there's nothing to lie about. We make great cars and give better service than the others, and we're still trying to get better, with the new model line up thats coming, we're miles ahead of the competition.

Aint life great!!

:D

Nice one mate - at least someone working for Lexus is prepared to say sommit!!

I won't ask you if you know anything about the injector issue on early IS220d's...so I'm not.

To be honest, I know not alot about the injectors, but thats a different issue. I've only read on here whats happening, but I am assured that the newer IS220's coming through have been sorted, drive just like the 220d sport, which is a brilliant drive. Aaaaaaanyway. I'll always be honest when it comes to Lexus, cos there's no point telling tales, and to be honest, there's nothing to lie about. We make great cars and give better service than the others, and we're still trying to get better, with the new model line up thats coming, we're miles ahead of the competition.

Aint life great!!

:D

The more you drive the lexus the better it gets. I am

sure I would not change it any other make on the market at present. I had a BMW 3 series new diesel and the finish, sound system, leather are all inferior..not made up by better road holding and on run flats..talk about a hard ride. The original complaints us lexus Is 'pioneers 'had were were justified and I would like to think that thanks in part 'to our decisive action there is not ONE recent post on rattles etc. To me that is what the forum is al'l about to enjoy the positive and help lexus to fix the few issues that would make this car 5 stars plus

alan

What a great thread. Just kept grinning all the way through because I agreed with so much!

Just to add the MMS is amazing and very good value for money - spent 5+ hours stuck on the M6 a few weeks ago after it was closed after a bad accident. Did I notice, not really just slapped on Minority Report and Gladiator and the time just flew by!