Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Scream Or Not To Scream

Adie

I know this has been covered slightly on another forum but I thought I'd ask peoples opinions on here too.

With my new turbo and external wastegate setup I now have the dilema of fitting a screamer pipe or not. Its obviously easier to fit a screamer pipe as everything is already there other than having a new pipe made up to go back into the exhaust system.

From what I've read there are no advantages performance wise either way. One of the only things being the sound it makes when its dumping boost. As I hope to be running over 1.4 + bar anyway, I doubt that I'd be constantly reaching max boost anyway, only when showing off or mapping, track day, Pod etc..

So what's peoples opinions on them???

can you do something so as you can have best of both?

If its as cool as you say it is then i would have it but sure if your wanting to be civilised and quiet on those very rare days then sure there must be an easy way to quieten it?

no mate you can only have one or the other. I've got the pipe for the external waste gate but not one to recirc. back into the exhaust system.

So I might go with the screamer pipe for the time being to see how I get on. I can always get a pipe made up afterwards. Or just do it from the start. :unsure:

OK to chuck my 2d worth in here, and probably offend some peeps.

It depends on how you want the car to appear to the punters.

Do you want to be: -

1/ In the face "I got a big turbo and every time I lift off the gas a firework goes off under the bonnet"

2/ Bit more discreet and have a BOV, but you can fake that. Followed an 206 the other day making BOV noises at 20MPH with no revs on.

3/ Be totally discreet, recirc and surprise everyone when you floor it.

The choice is yours, I know which one I would go for.

Hhhmm no.3 I think. :unsure: Although I'm fitting a HKS SSQV so there will be alot of noise coming from that and from the turbo anyway. PLus how loud the exhaust system will be / is.

Adie...the SSQV on my SW20 makes a shedload of noise. :D

And along with the Blitz NUR she pops fire at most gear changes :blink:

mate you have heard mine with the hks bov on you should here how loud it is now the sound is awesome ask scarface

So will a screamer pipe make that much difference then? You'll only hear it when I'm at full boost plus by then you'll have the sound of the turbo, exhaust etc

So will a screamer pipe make that much difference then? You'll only hear it when I'm at full boost plus by then you'll have the sound of the turbo, exhaust etc

Your not gonna hit full boost that often i think you should shove it on, putting it back into the exhaust system is surely gonna be more effort as well ?????

The more noises the better :D

:offtopic: Mike u never added any clips of your BOV :crybaby:

With the amount of heat given off from the turbo.... having it go back into the exhaust system, will this not increase the EGTs? If so then surely venting to atmosphere (screamer pipe) would be better?

Could also vent it out the bumper like Norris' EVO :P

• 2 weeks later...
With the amount of heat given off from the turbo.... having it go back into the exhaust system, will this not increase the EGTs? If so then surely venting to atmosphere (screamer pipe) would be better?

Anybody?? :rolleyes:

Its nearly time to make a decision

Anybody?? :rolleyes:

Its nearly time to make a decision

Put it on you know you wnat to ill have a look for some vids now

I think I will mate :)

I just wanted to know if it effected EGTs with the gases going back into the exhaust system. I presume it would :unsure:

Yeah 99% sure it would, just slap the screamer pipe on it, im sure it'll sound goooooooooood cant really find any good vids where u can here one :(

will depend on where your egt sensor is

in theory the egt`s are measuring what comes out the engine, not whats going through the exhaust

the ideal position for the sensor is in the manifold or at the turbo

the wastegate gasses should enter the exhaust after the sensor,

they are LOUD, and make noise at any boost level, not just full

think you will find the norris evo has the exhaust coming out the front bumper !