Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well you may have noticed that I'm thinking of changing my excellent LS Series four to get an early (non-'facelift' ) LS430.

Is it worth the extra cash? I guess the 430 will cost 50% more for equivalent mileage car. I only use the car occasionally, probably doing 5-7000miles per year, for cross country stuff.

When I moved 'up' from Ser 3 to 4, I thought I'd probably settle on this car. Like the colour (Metallic Maroon, which looks great!)

Car is well maintained, nice new tyres etc, always garaged so in good shape. More than enough power for anyone...well, for ME, anyway!

Can outrun most things on motorway when you NEED to.

Otherwise it's a joy to cruise quietly in; well, apart from the great stereo playing Brazilian music! (Or Flamenco....etc)

Is the 430 really SO much better? Faster? quieter? Better put together? Are the extra gizmos worth the premium? (Vibrating seats?...)

Would appreciate 'Feedback' from those who've made the step up to the 430 as to how they feel. I guess if you HAVE moved up, you're not really going to regret it! But I'm balancing the cost versus the actual imrovement, rather than perceived. Having seen the 430 described as an 'ugly' thing, while I LIKE the Ser 4 shape.....well, I guess once you're INSIDE is what counts? And it DOES look good on 'Spooks'!!!

All opinions appreciated...even Maneeshs! :D Only kidding!

I drove the 2004 LS430 (6 speed) and it's pretty rapid and with the air suspension, even handles. Interior is much more luxurious than LS400, especially with premium pack for rear passengers. Handling is the biggest improvement over LS400.

Lemme know about ur LS400 when it's being sold, as that will be a good base for a pimpin LS...

I drove the 2004 LS430 (6 speed) and it's pretty rapid and with the air suspension, even handles. Interior is much more luxurious than LS400, especially with premium pack for rear passengers. Handling is the biggest improvement over LS400.

Lemme know about ur LS400 when it's being sold, as that will be a good base for a pimpin LS...

Can't immediately recall if the 99-2004 (pre-facelift) car has Air Suspension? Perhaps you've hit the obvious answer; I go and test drive one! Passenger confort of little interest as there's usually only the two of us and, anyway, everyone is ALREADY impressed with Lexus' comfort, no matter WHICH! Read somewhere that the SIX speed was seamless, more so than the Five, though I rarely notice TOO much change 'hiccup'.

Found the handling on my non-'Handling pack' Ser 4 not TOO bad, though I don't freak about too often. Comfort more important than speed around bends.

If £8500 ain't TOO much for you....once I've stopped wrestling with myself! (Though I think I should start another string as to how people feel about 'Pimpin' our staid LS !!!)

yes, the 2004+ model is a big improvement on the original model, but the original was still damn good. 6 speeds makes it even zippier, you get the twin exhausts showing rather than being hidden.

yes, all LS430s have air suspension. make sure it's not dodgy, as it's a small fortune to fix! all the mags reckon the LS430 beats the S class for ride quality.

Hi Guys. Haven't visited the site for a while glad to see it's being well patronised. As regards to upgrading to the 430. a smart move to hell with the cost go for it. I had two Ls400's and have have been the owner of my 430 for two years now & have not regretted a day.been totally reliable apart from oxygen sensor going down but thats minor as i buy all my parts in from the states at half the cost including postage.Try www.lxpartsconnection.com but that apart a fantastic upgrade.

All 430's have the air suspension ,don't forget rear control of all the sound system, elec recliners not to mention all the other standard spec. Take a note of all the celebs on TV now driving Lexus. Dalziel & pascoe ,Doc Martin,Trevor Eve (Waking the dead). Amanda Redfern. look out Mercedes your days are numbered. Keep up the gossip guys will visit again

Hi Guys. Haven't visited the site for a while glad to see it's being well patronised. As regards to upgrading to the 430. a smart move to hell with the cost go for it. I had two Ls400's and have have been the owner of my 430 for two years now & have not regretted a day.been totally reliable apart from oxygen sensor going down but thats minor as i buy all my parts in from the states at half the cost including postage.Try www.lxpartsconnection.com but that apart a fantastic upgrade.

All 430's have the air suspension ,don't forget rear control of all the sound system, elec recliners not to mention all the other standard spec. Take a note of all the celebs on TV now driving Lexus. Dalziel & pascoe ,Doc Martin,Trevor Eve (Waking the dead). Amanda Redfern. look out Mercedes your days are numbered. Keep up the gossip guys will visit again

As the USA cars have had Air suspension for many years, has anyone any info on how well it lasts? I've spent 20+ years refuting people's false premise that Citroen's 'funny suspension' was prone to fail/complicated. It wasn't.....on either score, it was just ignorance and fear of the slightly-different!

So don't want to fall into the trap of thinking the Lexus 'Air suspension' could fail, though I like the idea of non-air better as presumably there's less to go wrong and thus cheaper to fix too!

They should have adopted/licenced Citroens? It remains the best ride I've experenced.

Well you may have noticed that I'm thinking of changing my excellent LS Series four to get an early (non-'facelift' ) LS430.

Is it worth the extra cash? I guess the 430 will cost 50% more for equivalent mileage car. I only use the car occasionally, probably doing 5-7000miles per year, for cross country stuff.

When I moved 'up' from Ser 3 to 4, I thought I'd probably settle on this car. Like the colour (Metallic Maroon, which looks great!)

Car is well maintained, nice new tyres etc, always garaged so in good shape. More than enough power for anyone...well, for ME, anyway!

Can outrun most things on motorway when you NEED to.

Otherwise it's a joy to cruise quietly in; well, apart from the great stereo playing Brazilian music! (Or Flamenco....etc)

Is the 430 really SO much better? Faster? quieter? Better put together? Are the extra gizmos worth the premium? (Vibrating seats?...)

Would appreciate 'Feedback' from those who've made the step up to the 430 as to how they feel. I guess if you HAVE moved up, you're not really going to regret it! But I'm balancing the cost versus the actual imrovement, rather than perceived. Having seen the 430 described as an 'ugly' thing, while I LIKE the Ser 4 shape.....well, I guess once you're INSIDE is what counts? And it DOES look good on 'Spooks'!!!

All opinions appreciated...even Maneeshs! :D Only kidding!

I know it's been said not to worry about mpg and according to the Lexus website the Mk1V and the LS430 average about the same 16mpg around town. I'm sticking with my Mk3 for the time being 20mpg around town, admittedly at a squeeze. When I see a LS430 for £10k I might consider one. 6months from now?

Air suspension is the way forward.

If it works for Rolls Royce / Bentley... the LS will ne be far behind the top marques for ride quality with air.

Lots of the US guys swear by the air ride and many companies now make aftermarket (new for old swaps) air bags that cost not much more than a brand new gas strut and spring would cost you from a main dealer.

I'm not in your league with my 92 S1, but I have been in several large merc coupes that have been converted to aftermarket air and their ride got better after the conversion.

LS430 is the way forward :D

(if only I could aford one too) :crybaby:

Yes agree about 430 for £10K! AND about the ride comments about Air Suspension. The USA reviews I read a few years back about the Ser 2 , when I was researching the car prior to getting one,said it was ace.

But really I'm pretty happy with the comfort already.

As to moving up from IS....it's a whole other ballgame, (once you get used to the size!) But you may end up feeling a bit 'fat-cat-ish'! Watch out! :D

Hey Maneesh, I think it's the lack of weight and FWD that mada a big difference in the Celica.

You planned a test drive yet Chris?

My mate (BMW estate driver so no taste really) just had a 24hr test of the GS hybrid and was super impressed with the ride in that.

The LS430 has to be even better.

Hey Maneesh, I think it's the lack of weight and FWD that mada a big difference in the Celica.

My mate (BMW estate driver so no taste really) just had a 24hr test of the GS hybrid and was super impressed with the ride in that.

Possibly, but a Celica is designed as a sports car, rather than a luxury cruiser which the LS range is all about. A small car has a harder time managing ride quality than a larger car, in part because the wheelbase is comparatively short. Annoyingly, a shorter-wheelbase car may do a rocking-horse thing over road imperfections that a larger car would just absorb. Take Lexus for example, the GS rides better than the IS, and the LS rides better than the GS.

From user accounts in the US, the ride quality of the 450h has been found to be harsh (who can define harsh!) by some folks. Beemers ride firmly anyway, so your mate probably didn't find an issue with the ride.

Be warned, if you go test drive the LS430, you will probably end up remortgaging in order to buy one!!!! Smoother than a baby's bottom... :winky:

Have I planned a test drive yet?

No.

Just took the car to work one day (instead of my usual drive in the eye-smiling Nissan S-Cargo I normally ride about obtrusively in!!!) to remind myself just how smooth (both in ride quality and power-response) the Series 4 was. Having spent £0000s on new speakers....and equivalent amount on bathroom refurb, this year; yes, I spend more on Hi-fi than cars!.........I'll just go on enjoying the current car, I think