Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, I know the price of petrol is coming down, but I'd relly like an LS400 Diesel, that I can convert to run on veg oil. Can anyone suggest a diesel car that is as luxurious as the LS400, for a few for a few thousand quid.

'96> mercedes e220 or e300, £4k upwards...

'96> audi a6 for about the same price as the merc...

'94> bmw 525 or 530, £2k upwards...

or a late model vauxhall omega 2.2dti elite. for about £7k for a 3yr old.

out of the list, the omega elite will more than likely have the most 'extra's' as standard with leather, climate contr, cruise etc. etc, but the build quality is not as good as the bmw merc or audi. but it is one h ell of a bargain. The bmw 530d will have the best engine with over 180bhp as standard, chippable to 220bhp, but this engine does have a history of early turbo failure. i don't know mutch about the merc of audi., so my heart would say bmw, but my head would say omega.....

you only really have two choices if you want a luxury car that is diesel. get a mid 90s lhd import from europe, either the S class diesel or the 7 series diesel. you won't be satisfied with the ride of anything in the e-class bracket as it ain't in the same league by far.

Hi all, I know the price of petrol is coming down, but I'd relly like an LS400 Diesel, that I can convert to run on veg oil. Can anyone suggest a diesel car that is as luxurious as the LS400, for a few for a few thousand quid.

Citroen CX Turbo-diesel is only rival in comfort stakes. Or the later XM Exclusive.

Keep the LS...

Spend 1600quid on LPG . sorted!

MAGIC, who converts an LS for £1600, I have been quoted £2500.

The guy in Leicester quoted me that.

He said it could be up to 150quid more if I wanted a spare wheel type tank.

Leicester Autogas Services

The Grange

Station Street

Whetstone

Leicester LE8 6JS

Tel: 01162 862701

Hi check out this site and work out the costs and benefits.

Also the difficulty finding a suppler when out of your area, may be better to invest your money in an ISA.

http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/what_is/faq.htm

you need to take into account your annual mileage if you are going to consider an lpg conversion. A car that does 25mpg will make a saving of approx £60 per 1000miles per year on the difference in fuel costs, (assuming lpg costs 50% less than petrol, and performs 10% poorer on mpg.) and assuming the conversion costs £1500, you'd need to travel 25000m to break even.......and, more worryingly, if the conversion cost £2500, you'd need to drive 42000miles, is it worth it?

presuming you are trying to save money? then forget an imported s-class or 7 series, although they are well made (well the w140 merc is, the old 7-series has a history of poor reliability), any surprise repairs could leave you deeply out of pocket. And the citroen, well yes it does have a magic carpet ride, but will disintegrate before you very eyes before it is five years old.

you need to take into account your annual mileage if you are going to consider an lpg conversion. A car that does 25mpg will make a saving of approx £60 per 1000miles per year on the difference in fuel costs, (assuming lpg costs 50% less than petrol, and performs 10% poorer on mpg.) and assuming the conversion costs £1500, you'd need to travel 25000m to break even.......and, more worryingly, if the conversion cost £2500, you'd need to drive 42000miles, is it worth it?

presuming you are trying to save money? then forget an imported s-class or 7 series, although they are well made (well the w140 merc is, the old 7-series has a history of poor reliability), any surprise repairs could leave you deeply out of pocket. And the citroen, well yes it does have a magic carpet ride, but will disintegrate before you very eyes before it is five years old.

OOOh!! Slander! I had 3 CXs and they were all more than 5 years old and were GREAT! But of course, NOW....they'll be a lot older. The Mk 2s were MUCH better made than the original ones.

As Chris said, only a saving of £60 on an outlay £1500, you would get better odds banking IT

As Chris said, only a saving of £60 on an outlay £1500, you would get better odds banking IT

Assuming he only does 1,000 miles, ever, of course that would be the case!

Mine cost £1700 all-in (using a toroidal tank in the wheel well), and has now paid for itself. Filled up earlier at 40.9p/litre!

In the first 12 months of glorious LS400 ownership, I did:

22,000 miles

averaged 25.4 mpg

spent £3,486 of fuel

which is 16p per mile.

I imagine at £1700 for an LPG conversion, it will pay for itself in a year.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, but for me a citroen hardly has the same class, the mercs I have been in seemed to have hard seats, not sure about the 7 series, But I'd rather not buy a left hooker.

So, LPG conversion it is.

• 2 weeks later...

hi. i just bought a ls430.i have a 1998 merc s class(140 bulit like a tank) fully loaded that i run on lpg.i need to sell this .130,000 mls and fsh.or convert ur lexus to lpg approx £2500.00.contact me for more info.hope this helps