Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E B C, Mintex, Ferodo, Brembo, Blueprint

Rob's Lexx

Hiya guys,

Right, i'm getting fecked off with this brake squeel i've had ever since i put new pads/discs on last year (got slightly used discs and pads from brakes international). I've decided the best option would be to buy a matching set of discs and pads and that way shouldn't have any problem with pad/disc composition suitability.

Now i'm fully aware of the exhaustive number of manufacturers out there and i have no need for ultimate 'performance' discs/pads, but in the same breath want something with good stopping power. Although OEM components would be fine, nowadays there is not much difference between OEM prices and some more 'commercially available' brands......EBC, Mintex for example.

Basically i just want to get an idea as to what others have found to be best value for money and any websites/dealers that have supplied their brakes. a quick search on eBay gave me these (well priced IMO):

Mintex Front

Mintex Rear

and of course theres also the EBC stuff:

EBC discs

EBC Pads

any input would be appreciated as i dont wanna chuck cash pointlessly at a set.

cheers,

rob :D :D

I've been happy with my Mintex pads mate. Who fitted your pads for you? Long as the all the shims are greased up ok, I can't understand how or why they would squeel.

the pads have been greased and re-greased but still get the squeel. was advised it may be the composite of the pads on the discs that could be causing the sqeel?! only other thing that may be a possibility could be the discs being warped?? i also get a knocking kinda noise occasionally when braking (could be the pads moving, but this would b normal i think??)

dont know about the discs buti have the mintex pads front and rear and have had no probs, i did have squeel once but i just greased the ends of the pad and it stopped. not too much dust either

so would mintex pads, for example, be ok with OEM discs?? likewise, would EBC green stuff pads be ok with mintex discs for example?? is there a 'rule' with regards to compatibility?

I will need new pads on the front soon - the discs should be ok as the car has only done 45k. Dealer quoted me £240 to change the fronts - Consequently I told him no :yawn:

The £115 for the discs and pads for the front looks like a good deal though. I may get some of these bad boys.

my concern is that if i just buy pads to see if this eliminates the squeel and still no change, then i'll have to buy discs aswell (therefore losing out coz a lot of bargains are for the disc/pad combo).

do warped discs contribute to brake squeel at all?

Mintex will work fine with OEM discs. EBC are a bit more abrasive and ideally should be used with EBC discs.

I used to have EBC greenstuff pads with OEM discs but changed to Mintex as everybody on here rated them and I read alot of negative comments about EBC.

warped should not, are u able to remove the pads yourself?? if so just chamfer the edges of the pad, grease up the back of the pad, and where the piston makes contact and also where the pad slots into the caliper. that should cure the sound

warped should not, are u able to remove the pads yourself?? if so just chamfer the edges of the pad, grease up the back of the pad, and where the piston makes contact and also where the pad slots into the caliper. that should cure the sound

thanks for that mate.....not able to do myself atthe min as have one hand in a splint :o :crybaby: will ask the neighbour to have a look (mechanic).

how abouts buckled wheels.....could they contribute to brake squeel?? i ask because a mate of mine had a similar problem, changed the wheel.....problem solved (seems unlikely, but u never know)

Mintex will work fine with OEM discs. EBC are a bit more abrasive and ideally should be used with EBC discs.

I used to have EBC greenstuff pads with OEM discs but changed to Mintex as everybody on here rated them and I read alot of negative comments about EBC.

hmmm, i thought EBC were very very good brakes. i managed to get a quote for EBC drilled & dimpled front rotors with EBC green stuff pads along with mintex rear discs/pads all for £360 delivered (inc. 12 months warranty). seems damn good to me. my only concern with this is the mixed EBC/Mintex set-up. also, some mixed responses regarding EBC :yawn::unsure:

Are you getting the sound all the time or as i assume only when u brake, does it happen all the time and at all speeds, even when slow? if at slow speeds is it a constant squeel or is it only 1 or 2 points as the wheel rotates? ( eliminating causes here)

I'm running EBC RedStuff (front) and Greenstuff (rear) on OEM rotors........never been a problem for me

On the IS or MR2?

I wouldn't ever touch EBC, but thats me

:D

MR2.......a lot of the guys use this combination

Up until the BBK went on the IS I was using the OEM rotors & pads

Are you getting the sound all the time or as i assume only when u brake, does it happen all the time and at all speeds, even when slow? if at slow speeds is it a constant squeel or is it only 1 or 2 points as the wheel rotates? ( eliminating causes here)

the sound is pretty much there 80% of the time and most noticable at slower speeds (i.e under 30-40 mph). the noise only comes when i brake and its very much a constant noise. one thing i have noted is that there is sometimes the faintest of light grinding/grating noises coming from (i think) the front right, but not sure if this correlates to the same thing.

when i had my tyres fitted/balanced, a couple of the rims were mildly buckled, but told that it was absoloutly nothing to worry about (as so slight) :yawn::yawn:

all a bit strange to me

I'm running EBC RedStuff (front) and Greenstuff (rear) on OEM rotors........never been a problem for me

:D

how come fella?

managed to get a quote for EBC drilled & dimpled front rotors with EBC green stuff pads along with mintex rear discs/pads all for £360 delivered (inc. 12 months warranty).

Where from if you don't mind me asking?

Why not?

managed to get a quote for EBC drilled & dimpled front rotors with EBC green stuff pads along with mintex rear discs/pads all for £360 delivered (inc. 12 months warranty).

Where from if you don't mind me asking?

Why not?

you have PM