Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera

legendswraith

At the minute i am absolutely fuming just been flashed by a speed camera on the A5 and i wasn't even doing over the speed limit, in fact i was following a bus !!!!!

Looked at the speedo on the flash i had 52 on the speedo and 47 on the GPS i'm assuming when i go to court if the letter comes through i can throw the GPS readings in their face and i intend to contact the bus company too as they flashed him and he wasn't speeding either. I did notice the cars following didn't get flashed though. Bloody conspiracy i tell you

If the limit was 50? and you were at 52 I thought, correct me if im wrong you were allowed 3mph over the limit?

At the minute i am absolutely fuming just been flashed by a speed camera on the A5 and i wasn't even doing over the speed limit, in fact i was following a bus !!!!!

Looked at the speedo on the flash i had 52 on the speedo and 47 on the GPS i'm assuming when i go to court if the letter comes through i can throw the GPS readings in their face and i intend to contact the bus company too as they flashed him and he wasn't speeding either. I did notice the cars following didn't get flashed though. Bloody conspiracy i tell you

If the limit was 50? and you were at 52 I thought, correct me if im wrong you were allowed 3mph over the limit?

Well the limit is 50 as far as i understand i tend to drive to my GPs and have gone through cameras before at the limit on the GPS and been fine. As a rule the speedo on the car reads 10% out so 55mph is actually 50mph its more a case of which is right as far as i see it the GPS is more accurate.

Will have to wait and see if a letter drops on the doormat

arrhh if your within 5mph of the limit their is a new system were you are asked to attend a 3hr course and you will not get the 3 points unfortunatly you will still pay the £60

Well the limit is 50 as far as i understand i tend to drive to my GPs and have gone through cameras before at the limit on the GPS and been fine. As a rule the speedo on the car reads 10% out so 55mph is actually 50mph its more a case of which is right as far as i see it the GPS is more accurate.

arrhh if your within 5mph of the limit their is a new system were you are asked to attend a 3hr course and you will not get the 3 points unfortunatly you will still pay the £60

well as long as its on a saturday doesn't interrupt work and i can take the kids thats ok but i will still contest it

Did the rd have the markings?

If so it will be apparent by the photos (if there are any) that you weren't speeding as each mark represents 5mph,so depending on how many marks showing on the second pic from the 1st will indicate how much (if any) over the speed limit you were.

I doubt it will come to anything. :)

Did the rd have the markings?

If so it will be apparent by the photos (if there are any) that you weren't speeding as each mark represents 5mph,so depending on how many marks showing on the second pic from the 1st will indicate how much (if any) over the speed limit you were.

I doubt it will come to anything. :)

yep the road is marked too thats nice to know

What is the speed limit on the road?

If you were following a bus then......

Public Goods Vehicles (PGV'S) anf Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV's) are lited to 40mph on single carriagway national speed limit roads. If you were close behind a bus in this circumstance then this may explain the issue.

What was the speed limit and what was the type of road?

As for the previous comments - GPS or otherwise will be thrown out of the eqation if the capturing camera/device can be proved to be calobrated.

Can the cameras differentiate between cars and lorries / buses then fella?

Always thought it was just a blanket setting where they take a pic if anything goes past above the speed limit?

Quite a lot of cameras flash when there is nothing on the road. On loads of occasions I have been flashed by a camera on the opposite carriageway when that side is empty.

Also noted that some get confused when 2 vehicles pass close together, especially when one vehicle is in the inside lane under the limit and the second is just moving out to overtake on the limit.

I also reckon you won't hear a thing.

Always thought it was just a blanket setting where they take a pic if anything goes past above the speed limit?

When the radar bounces back to the gatso it can tell how much has been scattered and how much is coming back, the more that comes back the larger the object. My uncle was done in an HGV for doing over 40mph on a single lane national speed limit road.

Also - what Kremmen said is right - if you hurl through one on a dual carriageway over the limit but someone is beside you at the point you go through and is doing the correct speed it will get 2 different scatter patterns and will get confused, they ususally take the slower reading.

As a rule they cant differentiate(spl) between normal traffic and HGV's but there is a devise that sits on top of the gatso that when a high sided vehicle passes through it will alter the speed trigger mechanism to identify that a h/sided vehicle has passed,its a small cone shaped object that you wouldn't see until it was to late,there was one on the A303.

i was under the impression the speed cameras worked to a 10% mardin ie 50mph you can (but shouldnt) do up to 55mph, 30mph zone then 33mph and so on...

i know theres a camera near my house on ecclesall rd in sheffield which seems to be flash happy, ive been through it a cople of times at maybe 31mph, its flashed at me (or at least i thought it did) but i never received a ticket.

I feel for your frustration, but 10% margin or not, why risk it just to go that little bit faster? My sat nav is always under my speedo reading...but im not risking it. You may have difficulty proving your case.

I dont think the fact that most drivers now use GPS devises will stand up in a court of law.

maybe but 50mph is 50mph if the satnav is accurate then i wasn't speeding i was close to the bus too about 10ft away and braking so is it possible it saw us as one vehicle?

The so-called buffer margin (5%, 10%) or whatever you may think it is, is only a discretionary buffer.

It is down to the safety camera partnership organisation and policing authorities to decide this.

In some installations, it has been said for example:

in a 40mph zone a 10% + 3mph is allowed.. giving the driver up to 7mph extra.

in a different installation it has also been known for a driver on a 30mph stretch was prosecuted for doing 31mph.

I also drive to the speed on my GPS device, as when i follow the speedo, everyone is always overtaking me.

So you was tailgating at 50?

Anybody can go to court and claim they was using GPS so how could you prove it was operable on the day in question.

Just my thoughts and im sure the court would ask the same q's.

But im sure you wont hear anything.

i wasn't tailgaiting i was getting an aerodynamic tow :tomato::blush:

the point i am trying to make is if the cameras are firing at 50 on the speedo, its widely known the speedo reads 10% over so they are not catching people speeding but those doing 50 on the clock the actual speed would be roughly 45mph therefore no offence has occured. Pedantic i know but i'm sure i am right and then every sppeding fine in the country can be overturned the goverment will be bankrupt there will be anarchy and i can take over ........

oops said too much

im frankly sick and tired off traffic cops/cameras,so is most of the country.lets hope that nothing comes of this.makes me wanna join in with BRAG and demolish some gatsos late at night

Hmmmm A34 is pretty dark/quiet at nite, so I have been told ;)

Can't see any point in having them down there. Been doing a bit of research, last accident on that stretch was 5 1/2 years ago, last fatality was back in 1992 :yawn:

To make it worse in the past few months they have been putting the camera van on 4 different locations along the road. Surely they are there just trying to make money from this.

No, they can not differentiate between HGV and cars. There is no way of doing this from a "cone on the top" unless there is an actual weigh in motion site installed at the same site as the camera. That will then give axel length and weight in order to classify the vehicle correctly. Loops alone will not provide sufficient classification for enforcement as they will only decern axel length, and even then it depends on the amount of metal there is to be able to do that acuratly.

Hope that helps clear it up :)

It was probably a false flash, i have seen speed camera's flashing thin air infact they do it quite often round here. also if your car is rally shiney it can cause a camera to flash as the sunlight reflecting back at the senser in the camera thinks its a car...eg/ cars being flashed in traffic jams as the sunlight has reflected off the glass of the car.

if not just burn the camera...thats a joke

It was probably a false flash, i have seen speed camera's flashing thin air infact they do it quite often round here. also if your car is rally shiney it can cause a camera to flash as the sunlight reflecting back at the senser in the camera thinks its a car...eg/ cars being flashed in traffic jams as the sunlight has reflected off the glass of the car.

if not just burn the camera...thats a joke

Did you know if you feed a speed camera sweets it will be your friend and never flash you for speeding through it again :)

It's not the sunlight reflecting off a car which sets it off.

Every now and then the flash needs to discharge. That is what you are seeing. The flash either is set off when the speed detection is in excess of the set threshold or when it needs to discharge. There is no magic involved in them being set off :D

Like you'd know about such things, Jase :P :tomato:

Feed it sweets? I'd rather feed it thermite! :devil:

Didn't know about the need to discharge every so often, this would explain the single flashes that some are apparently seen giving off, as I assume a Gatso Junior would trigger a double-flash just like the Radar 24?