Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dumb Question From A Lexus Newbie

Hello Luxus Forumites.

I am proud to be making my first post here, having bought a beautiful '93 LS400 yesterday.

Unfortunately, I am posting to ask a dumb question. :blush:

When I looked at the car, the previous owner popped the boot lid up and showed me the (immaculate) interior of the boot (or Trunk if you are American). But now I can't get it to open! I've tried the switch next to the fuel cap, but the boot stays firmly locked. I tried it with the ignition on, ingnition off, key in, key out, and the damn boot lid won't budge. There is a key hole next to the boot catch, what does this do? Why can't I use the key to open the boot using the keyhole in the boot lid?

Am i doing something wrong, or has my new pride and joy started falling to bits already?

I do not know the LS400, but on the IS250 there is a switch in the glove compartement that disables all the unlocking mechanisms on the boot i.e. it is impossible to get into the boot unless that switch is in the right position.

Is there some similar arrangement on the LS400?

Maybe the boot is locked.... put in the master key and try unlocking it.....

Remote boot release button needs to be pressed for around 3 seconds before it works so as to prevent accidental use....

Thanks for that, I wasn't using the master key, didn't realise there was a difference!

:blink:

Perhaps the key needs to be inserted into the keyhole in between the fuel flap and boot release flaps under the driver's side dash. It may be locked from there, try unlocking that, and trying the boot again.

That was originally designed for Americans who use valet parking and wanted the boot locked at all times.

oh, and it's not a dumb question. it's what the forum is for, sharing of knowledge mate..

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps the key needs to be inserted into the keyhole in between the fuel flap and boot release flaps under the driver's side dash. It may be locked from there, try unlocking that, and trying the boot again.

That was originally designed for Americans who use valet parking and wanted the boot locked at all times.

oh, and it's not a dumb question. it's what the forum is for, sharing of knowledge mate..

Thank you - I had the same problem - I'd accidentally pressed the boot key locking mechanism and found that I could no longer release the boot from insside the car - I've just inserted the master key and voila all is well.

Thank you again