Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering An Is250 / 220 Sport

v7cjl

I am considering a change to an IS 250 or 220 Sport. I have a Honda S2000 right now which I have been very happy with for the past 3 years but feel like its time for a change to something more practical.

I have a couple of questions:

- I would really like leather but this is not an option on the sport, how easy are the seat to keep clean?.

- What's the reliability of the new IS like?. I will not be going for a new model so I would appreciate any comments about the early models.

Thanks Chris

I am considering a change to an IS 250 or 220 Sport. I have a Honda S2000 right now which I have been very happy with for the past 3 years but feel like its time for a change to something more practical.

- I would really like leather but this is not an option on the sport, how easy are the seat to keep clean?.

- What's the reliability of the new IS like?. I will not be going for a new model so I would appreciate any comments about the early models.

Thanks Chris

As the sport only came out March/April this year it's a little premature to comment about 'early models'. Apart from reports of the odd rattle here and there, nothing negative has been reported. In terms of reliability it's also too early to say, but as the Lexus brand is reknown for quality and reliability I'd be surprised if the second generation IS is any different from the first.

There has been a recall on the front seat belt recoil units, but these should all have been completed.

The Sport is only marginally different in specification -18" dia wheels as standard, slightly lowered, slightly stiffer springs and alloy pedal set are the only differences as far as I know (someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure).

You could always look for an SE or SE-L with leather and the 18" rims (which were available as a dealer fit option) and fit the Eibach lowering kit for the IS250.

Sorry I cannot comment on the Sport seats...mine has the leather :D

I have the IS250 Sport. To say whether the Sport is better than the other with the tyres/wheels/surspension, etc, I can't really comment as I haven't driven the other models.

The sport only comes with seat warming and not cooling. Don't know if that is too much an issue in the UK. They must have it this way as the material stays cooler :duh:

As for keeping it clean, the material has been designed by Italians for the high end sport cars and has been developed over 20 or so years. The produst is supposed to wear better and easier to keep clean over leather.

So far, the minor spills I have had have cleaned off very easily and no marks left behind. I have the light grey interior.

One thing you will find with the new IS is that when you have water off the roof, it will drip into the car when you open the doors. I makes a wet spot on the seats but drys fairly quickly and doesn't leave any marks.

As for reliability, I have done 16,000ks and had no issues. Only issues have been with reported rattles, squeaky seat and seatbelt recall that have been fixed. I have an early release model.

Thanks Chris

As the sport only came out March/April this year it's a little premature to comment about 'early models'. Apart from reports of the odd rattle here and there, nothing negative has been reported. In terms of reliability it's also too early to say, but as the Lexus brand is reknown for quality and reliability I'd be surprised if the second generation IS is any different from the first.

There has been a recall on the front seat belt recoil units, but these should all have been completed.

The Sport is only marginally different in specification -18" dia wheels as standard, slightly lowered, slightly stiffer springs and alloy pedal set are the only differences as far as I know (someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure).

You could always look for an SE or SE-L with leather and the 18" rims (which were available as a dealer fit option) and fit the Eibach lowering kit for the IS250.

Sorry I cannot comment on the Sport seats...mine has the leather :D

Sport also has adaptive HID lights which would cost over a grand as an option if available. It also has rain sensitive wipers (not sure whether they are standard on the SE model or not)

All in all I bought the Sport because it was such good value for money over the other specs.

I've driven a base 220d as a courtesy car which had 16in wheels - it made the car look pathetic - in all honesty the ride was not that much firmer in my Sport model.

Go for an SE-L as Tango says (Diesel or Petrol)- you get everything. Just add the bigger wheels and lowered suspension if you want to now, or later...

I would still go for the MM option - it is worth it overall.

If you like Auto's, go SE-L Auto if you can find one!! It'll hold value well, they are in such demand!

Base models are Ok compared to BMW's/Mercs and Audis for the money, but an IS without MM is very dull...try it and you'll see what I mean!! That sound system is awesome!