Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

right question for ye

my lex hasnt had its cam belt changed since 2000 and that was about 70.000 miles ago

now i suppose i should get it done, but leaving the cam belt alone for this length of time would it or could it effect the running of the car? i mean like belt stretching ?.

as i dont know why but i feel the car hesitating , at about 50 ish , exp on the m ways. (50 limit ones)

everything else is ok , plugs and dizzy cap

i asked maneesh , all he was interested was pimpin' my lex :)

and ahmet , well he just said i was a tight northerner :):)

cheers lads

sounds like a fuel or air problem, air filter or fuel filter blocked, try clearing out your throttle body?

regds the belt, sometimes they can last 100k easy, but it's sods law that it might break just when you are in the middle of nowhere...

i still think you should get yours changed

air filter ok and fuel filter new ( 6 months each)

i changed them at last service,

better to change it.....you have a scrap car if it goes.5 yrs , 63000 miles is for a reason....rubber can stretch and perish

I'd get it done now if it was me. The belt is cheap itself and getting an independent to fit it was a couple of hundred I remember. The service can happen later - there aren't any service items that overlap with the actions needed to get the belt changed IMHO.

I know if it was me the belt would go at 2 months 3 weeks and I'd be looking for a new engine.

I'd get it done now if it was me. The belt is cheap itself and getting an independent to fit it was a couple of hundred I remember. The service can happen later - there aren't any service items that overlap with the actions needed to get the belt changed IMHO.

I know if it was me the belt would go at 2 months 3 weeks and I'd be looking for a new engine.

Non interference engine so if belt goes not a big worry, change it anyway

is series 1 300sport non interference as well? i just paid £505 for B service,plugs, and cambelt. If they are non interference why change before they go

Hi All

I have a MK 11 GS 300. The cambelt on mine was changed at 60k about 3 years ago. I have had it since 90k. Noting that I'm always on motoways (98% of time) I was wondering, as I have now done 111k, can I push this to 130k (10K beyond the change of belt point - 120k)???

Hi All

I have a MK 11 GS 300. The cambelt on mine was changed at 60k about 3 years ago. I have had it since 90k. Noting that I'm always on motoways (98% of time) I was wondering, as I have now done 111k, can I push this to 130k (10K beyond the change of belt point - 120k)???

If I got this right you bought the car with 90K on the clock and the service record says the cambelt was done at 60K around 3 years ago.

That being the case the belt will be due at 120K, motorway driving makes no difference

I assume non-interference means that if the belt goes whilst driving the valves will not impact the top of the piston.

Although I didn't get Lexus Croydon to change my belt it was them that prompted it with the warning that I'd be writing my car off if the risk didn't pay off for me.

Despite FLSH they couldn't tell if my belt had ever been changed.

is series 1 300sport non interference as well? i just paid £505 for B service,plugs, and cambelt. If they are non interference why change before they go

because nobody wants your cambelt to snap just as you are taking your hot date home for the night.. :tomato:

I assume non-interference means that if the belt goes whilst driving the valves will not impact the top of the piston.

Although I didn't get Lexus Croydon to change my belt it was them that prompted it with the warning that I'd be writing my car off if the risk didn't pay off for me.

when a genuine lexus belt is used for replacement, you get that little sticker that sticks on the plastic engine cover and you write in when the cambelt was changed and what the mileage was. although a sneaky dealer could put the sticker on without changing the belt.

Hi All

the manufacturers usually analyse data that looks at "mean time before failure" when it comes to components, and they are normally quite conservative with their servicing schedules so the dealers can make more cash and they get fewer lawsuits.

bottom line, the belt could last you to 200k, it could also go at 112k, but most likely it will not snap before 120k, probably not even at 130k.

That's the theory.

Anyone can stamp up a book with a printing set, if you buy a second hand car with a higher mileage than the recommended interval for the cambelt just change it anyway. A couple of hundred to have the belt changed compared to finding out your engine is not a "non-interference" after all is nothing. That reduces to about £50 if you can DIY.

Was a previous mkiv supra owner and both n/a and tt supras are non inteference, hiwever you do not want the belt to go as i suppose it could cause some damage potentially, engine in gs 300 and aristo's are the same hence my presumption that they are non interference, and yes it basically means the belt will just go, you get no drive but will not bend rods, knacker pistons etc etc, that was brought in by european manufactureres as planned obsolescence to keep making big money from lazy people when belt snapped!! lol

I've had a big look around the net and from what I can gather the 2JZ-GTE as used in the MKIV TT Supras and MKII Aristo's is actually an interference engine and if the belt goes you are proper ******, whereas the MKIII Supras and MKI Aristo's are non-interference so like MattAnna says you'll be fine if it breaks in terms of engine damage...

I've had a big look around the net and from what I can gather the 2JZ-GTE as used in the MKIV TT Supras and MKII Aristo's is actually an interference engine and if the belt goes you are proper ******, whereas the MKIII Supras and MKI Aristo's are non-interference so like MattAnna says you'll be fine if it breaks in terms of engine damage...

useful to know and a good reminder for mk2 owners not to neglect changing it at the right time

useful to know and a good reminder for mk2 owners not to neglect changing it at the right time

sorry if i appear thick, but could anyone tell me what engine is fitted in series1 300 sport? all these jz things are confusing me a little.

sorry if i appear thick, but could anyone tell me what engine is fitted in series1 300 sport? all these jz things are confusing me a little.

all GS300s have a 2JZ-GE engine in them. the series 1 GS300 does not have vvti, but the series 2 does.

plus it sounds like aido is saying that the series 1 engines are ok to some extend if belt snaps, but series 2 engines are not ok if belt snaps.

he also mentions 2JZ-GTE too, which is basically the standard GS300/Supra engine but with twin turbos added. again, can also be non-vvti/vvti depending upon when it was made.

this links gives you everything you've ever wanted to know about toyota (lexus) engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines

all GS300s have a 2JZ-GE engine in them. the series 1 GS300 does not have vvti, but the series 2 does.

plus it sounds like aido is saying that the series 1 engines are ok to some extend if belt snaps, but series 2 engines are not ok if belt snaps.

he also mentions 2JZ-GTE too, which is basically the standard GS300/Supra engine but with twin turbos added. again, can also be non-vvti/vvti depending upon when it was made.

this links gives you everything you've ever wanted to know about toyota (lexus) engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines

Thanks for your info. Think I have the gist now. I just replace things when required .The Mk3 zodiacs and Sunbeam Alpine Tigers were so much easier...you could do everything yourself.

ANY high compression engine is most likely an "interference" engine, goes with the turf.

If you doubt it, run it till the belt snaps and let us all know. I had a belt go sitting at traffic lights with the engine idling, did 12 out of 16 valves on a 2 litre Vauxhall engine and one on a micra that went at about 30 mph with low revs, that knackered 4 out of 8 valves.

Don't risk it :)

This brings back memories of all those Rover SD1 2600 and 2300 belts that I changed all those years ago along with Valves, cam carriers and everything else that failed regulary on that wonderful underated Triumph Engine.