Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Its Been A While ....

BernardTamHK

since i've updated u guys about wat i've done with my IS200.

Over the past 9 months, I've made some significant changes to my car ....

Since I can't come to ur meets, I guess i'll just have to post some info here ... :D

Anyways ... lets start with some pics shall we?

my current look

myIS200.jpg

night shot with me and my club mates

Imagex.jpg

some shots of the installation of my high ratio Final Drive gear

Image103.jpg

Image102.jpg

Image101.jpg

Image100.jpg

Heres the stuff that is currently on my car:

- HKS Hiper exhaust

- Maculloch HID conversion kit

- K&N Air filter

- TRD dark/blue headlights

- TRD yellow coilovers

- TRD antiroll bars

- Rays ITC 17" rims

- TRD 4.5 Final Drive Gear

- 7" Altezza popup tv converted to play DVD

- JVC single DVD player

- Clarion 4 channel 400W amp

Hey Robin ....

I guess the name is a bit confusing. Basically 4.5 is just the gearing ratio within the differential. As you can see, the differential unit has been taken out, and replaced with a new set of gears (but as you can see in the pics with an more agressive teething profile)

On a stock IS200 AT, the final drive gearing is 4.1. Not too sure about MT, but I think its 4.1 also. Some altezzas have 4.1 and 4.3 depending on the year and transmission type.

As for the difference, for me it makes a big difference, as specially for the standstill acceleration and mid range acceleration. The power delivered to the wheels is more apparent and in a much "timelier" manner in the power band. The traditional IS is optimized for mileage/consumption. For an even more evident improvement, some ppl use the 4.7 final gear, but for an AT, its too agressive which I'm worried may cause premature wear on the tranny.

The cons is that my gas consumption has gone up around 5-8%. I lose a bit of top speed too, before I was able to reach 215km/hr, but now my top speed is around 208-210km/hr.

For you guys, as you do high mileage, this may become significant.

Personally, I think its a great bang for the buck mod. It is basically a key mod that ppl do on the IS and tezza in our region.

One more thing you need to know about is that for MT, because of the way it measures speed, the speedo may be off slightly after install. (The TRD speedo fix kit does not work! so dont bother ...)

For AT, as the speed is detected using the ABS sensor, it has no effect.

Hey Robin ....

I guess the name is a bit confusing. Basically 4.5 is just the gearing ratio within the differential. As you can see, the differential unit has been taken out, and replaced with a new set of gears (but as you can see in the pics with an more agressive teething profile)

On a stock IS200 AT, the final drive gearing is 4.1. Not too sure about MT, but I think its 4.1 also. Some altezzas have 4.1 and 4.3 depending on the year and transmission type.

As for the difference, for me it makes a big difference, as specially for the standstill acceleration and mid range acceleration. The power delivered to the wheels is more apparent and in a much "timelier" manner in the power band. The traditional IS is optimized for mileage/consumption. For an even more evident improvement, some ppl use the 4.7 final gear, but for an AT, its too agressive which I'm worried may cause premature wear on the tranny.

The cons is that my gas consumption has gone up around 5-8%. I lose a bit of top speed too, before I was able to reach 215km/hr, but now my top speed is around 208-210km/hr.

For you guys, as you do high mileage, this may become significant.

Personally, I think its a great bang for the buck mod. It is basically a key mod that ppl do on the IS and tezza in our region.

One more thing you need to know about is that for MT, because of the way it measures speed, the speedo may be off slightly after install. (The TRD speedo fix kit does not work! so dont bother ...)

For AT, as the speed is detected using the ABS sensor, it has no effect.

thanks for the reply

so to sum it up,

you've gained low and mid end acceleration and lost a bit of top end speed in all gears, would that be right in saying

plus fuel consumption has gone up :unsure:

what does the kit consist of ??? final drive pinion and gear :unsure:

yup.. thats pretty much correct. The kit is (as you can see in the pics) the gear set (pinion and ring looking gear) and all the nuts and bolts that are needed.

Great mod if you ask me. Im assuming you have an MT altezza, if thats the case, a light flywheel+new FD gear set combo, will give u a new feeling for the car.

yup.. thats pretty much correct. The kit is (as you can see in the pics) the gear set (pinion and ring looking gear) and all the nuts and bolts that are needed.

Great mod if you ask me. Im assuming you have an MT altezza, if thats the case, a light flywheel+new FD gear set combo, will give u a new feeling for the car.

yeah I've got a 6 speeder, plus TRD flywheel fittted

so think this mod will be put on the things to do list :lol: