Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Instant Performance Enhancement!

i knew this title would get ur attention!

Anyways .. this has been covered by a couple of member before, but I just wanted to say i've done it and i'm seriously impressed.

Basically what I'm talking about, is cleaning the throttle body and changing the spark plugs. Here is what I did today (and I STRONGLY suggest you to do the same), as I felt an instant increase in cars responsiveness. I'm usually not very easily impressed, but this time I am very surprised and happy!

- Take off the airbox, and clean the throttle body/butterfly value thoroughly. This means to spray it with carb cleaner and rub it hard with your fingers! (while wearing a cotton glove of course!) You will need to open the value using the throttle cable pulley. Make sure you do it thoroughly and its all clean (silver, and no black stuff!)

- Change your spark plugs. My car has 35000 miles. I changed to denso IK20.

- Unplug the Battery and let the ECU reset.

Install everything back, and give ur car a good run!

I was so impressed. Basically very low cost, for a significant improvement in the car's responsiveness!!

Have just done mine along with cleaning the induction kit air filter with a K&N recharge kit, have noticed that car seems to rev a little higher on tickover (just over 1) before it used to sit below the 1.

my only thoughts on this is that when i re-set the ECU the computer is finding its boundries again?

Or there was so much black c :tsktsk: p in the throttle bit its now running as it should.

Aaron

Have just done mine along with cleaning the induction kit air filter with a K&N recharge kit, have noticed that car seems to rev a little higher on tickover (just over 1) before it used to sit below the 1.

my only thoughts on this is that when i re-set the ECU the computer is finding its boundries again?

Or there was so much black c :tsktsk: p in the throttle bit its now running as it should.

Aaron

i knew this title would get ur attention!

Anyways .. this has been covered by a couple of member before, but I just wanted to say i've done it and i'm seriously impressed.

Basically what I'm talking about, is cleaning the throttle body and changing the spark plugs. Here is what I did today (and I STRONGLY suggest you to do the same), as I felt an instant increase in cars responsiveness. I'm usually not very easily impressed, but this time I am very surprised and happy!

- Take off the airbox, and clean the throttle body/butterfly value thoroughly. This means to spray it with carb cleaner and rub it hard with your fingers! (while wearing a cotton glove of course!) You will need to open the value using the throttle cable pulley. Make sure you do it thoroughly and its all clean (silver, and no black stuff!)

- Change your spark plugs. My car has 35000 miles. I changed to denso IK20.

- Unplug the battery and let the ECU reset.

Install everything back, and give ur car a good run!

I was so impressed. Basically very low cost, for a significant improvement in the car's responsiveness!!

I know this sounds bad but anyone have a pic? so I know what I can clean off and what I shouldn't touch... mines looking very very dirty..

I also have no carb cleaner :tomato: does that matter so much I just want to clean it up a little?

Will hoover the inside of the car while i wait for your responses :)

Where the arrow is...inside is a flap (normaly shut) will probably be covered in black give it a good clean (avoid droping anything in there, best use lint free cloth) carb cleaner or petrol is good to clean this, at the side where the throttle cable goes, if you move that it will open the flap so as you can clean round it alot easier...its very important that nothing drops in here!

Allow cleaners to evaporate and its possible that the car will not start first time.

DSC00411arrow.jpg

If i have gone wrong could somebody please advise!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another way to quickly improve performance. Add a "Sprint" Chip. Went down to get my car serviced the other day, and my mechanic asked if i wanted to try it out.

Basically some computer wizardry which you plug under the throttle pedal, and there is instant improvement. My car accelerates much faster with it and also revs higher!!!

Its great fun!

Just changed ,my plugs too denso iridium ik20's, but as im banned from using the queens roads i cant really gauge how much its enhanced my performanced. Got the engine management light come on after about 3 mins of the car running but an ecu reset sorted that out:)