Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lowering Springs

KEN G

Hello all..im getting tein lowering springs fitted to rs200 and im wondering what i need to get done afterwards besides obvious alignment,a full geometery i presume but what does this involve in case mechanic dosent know..{also drove is200 and it had a lot of bodyroll,is altezza the same if so wil springs have much effect on this}..Thanks very much for any help on this.

Hi,

With the car being lower the body roll should be reduced up against standard ride height.

It is worth getting the geometry checked as you could find the tyres wearing uneven.

If there is more body roll than you want after the car has been lowered then the next step is to put uprated roll bars on the car.

Chips.

Hello all..im getting tein lowering springs fitted to rs200 and im wondering what i need to get done afterwards besides obvious alignment,a full geometery i presume but what does this involve in case mechanic dosent know..{also drove is200 and it had a lot of bodyroll,is altezza the same if so wil springs have much effect on this}..Thanks very much for any help on this.

Lots to consider in the chassis area.. this excerpt is from the wim forum, hope it helps.

The under/over steer phenomenon has been exampled here in wim but there are some direct or indirect consequences for the Modified car you may find interesting either to exploit or belay.

Component___________________Reduce Under-steer_____________Reduce Over-steer

Weight Distribution....................Centre of gravity toward rear....................Centre of gravity toward front

Front coils..................................................Softer....................................................... Stiffer

Rear coils...................................................Stiffer........................................................Softer

Front sway bar..........................................Softer........................................................Stiffer

Rear sway bar...........................................Stiffer........................................................Softer

Front tyre selection (1)....................Larger contact area (2)..............................Smaller contact area

Rear tyre selection.........................Smaller contact area..................................Larger contact area (2)

Front wheel rim width/diameter...............Larger (2)...................................................Smaller

Rear wheel rim width/diameter................Smaller......................................................Larger (2)

Front tyre pressure.............................Higher pressure...........................................Lower pressure

Rear tyre pressure..............................Lower pressure...........................................Higher pressure

Front camber................................Increase negative camber............................Reduce negative camber

Rear camber..................................Reduce negative camber............................Increase negative camber

Rear spoiler.............................................Smaller........................................................Larger

Ride height front.......................................Lower...........................................................Raise

Ride height rear........................................raise............................................................lower

Front toe................................................Increase.......................................................Decrease

Rear toe................................................Decrease.......................................................Increase

(1) Tyre contact is increased by using wider tyres, or tyres with less grooves in the tread, but fewer grooves has the opposite effect in wet weather.

(2) These improve road holding, under most conditions.

Hi,

Thats interesting reading Tony.

Im not so sure about the sway bar settings though.

If i was looking at Reducing Under-steer id go for a softer roll bar on the rear to help more weight transfer through body roll on the rear.

If i was looking at Reducing Over-steer then id go for a stiffer rear anti roll bar.

Maybe im wrong :unsure::shifty: :D

Chips.

Hi,

Thats interesting reading Tony.

Im not so sure about the sway bar settings though.

If i was looking at Reducing Under-steer id go for a softer roll bar on the rear to help more weight transfer through body roll on the rear.

If i was looking at Reducing Over-steer then id go for a stiffer rear anti roll bar.

Maybe im wrong :unsure::shifty: :D

Chips.

The chart is intended as a guide only and not the law regarding modifications... The intention is to display how each modification can alter the handling and the fact that some modifications can be detrimental to the expected result.

i was gonna purchase some for my car this weekend but after my episode today i think i may have to give it a miss.

My mum works for next and i to take 160 next catalogues to the warehouse. car was fecking low and round where i live the roads are terrible and speed bumps are plentiful.

the underside of the cars too a beating today...poor thing :hehe:

well from personal experience i would stay clear of PI springs or dampers.

My partner bought an uprated sports set of springs and dampers for her MK4 Golf.

The springs that were initaly supplied were no harder (just shorter) than the stock springs that had covered over 115k!!!

The dampers offered little in the way of controled sports damping, and had terrible roll and loss of car handling along with a damper that failed within 70 miles!!!

We are taking the second replacement set off and replacing it with a full set of Koni adjustables which retailed for little more than £100 more!!

You get what you pay for with springs, eiback and tein are among the best so go with them