Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeeling

the_wiley

My Aristo TT has just started making a squeeling sound that gets louder when I rev the car. I noticed it just as I got home from work. I only do 6 miles from work to home & did not thrash it. I also noticed a bit of steam coming from out the sides of the bonnet so I lifted the bonnet and saw splash marks on the inside of the bonnet near the Battery & noticed a smell of radiator fluid. I looked down near where all the pulleys are between the rad & engine & the sound seemed louder towards the Battery. I called a friend who is a mechanic & he said it sounds like the bearings have gone on the water pump. I also noticed the radiator overflow tank looked a bit low. The steaming has stopped now but not the noise. Also the temperature guage is in the middle where it normally is. The car has done 85k.

If it is the pump, where can I get one ? also how much ? also how big a job is it to do ?

How long can I drive it like this as it is my only car ?

My Aristo TT has just started making a squeeling sound that gets louder when I rev the car. I noticed it just as I got home from work. I only do 6 miles from work to home & did not thrash it. I also noticed a bit of steam coming from out the sides of the bonnet so I lifted the bonnet and saw splash marks on the inside of the bonnet near the battery & noticed a smell of radiator fluid. I looked down near where all the pulleys are between the rad & engine & the sound seemed louder towards the battery. I called a friend who is a mechanic & he said it sounds like the bearings have gone on the water pump. I also noticed the radiator overflow tank looked a bit low. The steaming has stopped now but not the noise. Also the temperature guage is in the middle where it normally is. The car has done 85k.

If it is the pump, where can I get one ? also how much ? also how big a job is it to do ?

How long can I drive it like this as it is my only car ?

Defo sound like a water pump to me, contact Martin James at www.mkivstore.com he should be able to advise you and knows these cars inside out, probably has one in stock

cheers

Matt

Hi,

The squeeling noise could be coming from the alternator/power steering belt because coolant has got on it.

The problem could be a leaking radiator as they are prone to leaking on the top,the coolant as i say could be making the belt slip.

Like you say it could also be the water pump,the best way to check that is to check when the engine is cold and is warming up.That way the system is under low or no pressure.From cold take the Rad cap off and gently rev the engine.If the water pump is working then as you rev the engine you should see the coolant level in the rad rise as the revs build.

The reason it seems as though its by the Battery is because thats where the leaks normally come from on the rad.It would also be worth checking the top Rad hose is not leaking.

Its also worth checking the coolant level in the header tank when the engine is cold,that way you can see if the level is low and coolant could be lost.

Hope thats all some help.

Cheers..

Chips.

Yes it's likely to be the water pump bearing, but just check the belt drives. The tensioner may have gone loose and the noise due to slipping. I also once got a small bit of stone jammed in my FTO belt - and that sounded the same. If you are careful not to splash oil all over you could try squerting a spot of WD40 down the water pump shaft into the bearing, which temporarily may stop it or at least prove if it is the bearing that has gone or on it's way out. Avoid getting in on the pulley or belts. Keep an eye out for leaking water from the water pump.

Hi,

The squeeling noise could be coming from the alternator/power steering belt because coolant has got on it.

The problem could be a leaking radiator as they are prone to leaking on the top,the coolant as i say could be making the belt slip.

Like you say it could also be the water pump,the best way to check that is to check when the engine is cold and is warming up.That way the system is under low or no pressure.From cold take the Rad cap off and gently rev the engine.If the water pump is working then as you rev the engine you should see the coolant level in the rad rise as the revs build.

The reason it seems as though its by the battery is because thats where the leaks normally come from on the rad.It would also be worth checking the top Rad hose is not leaking.

Its also worth checking the coolant level in the header tank when the engine is cold,that way you can see if the level is low and coolant could be lost.

Hope thats all some help.

Cheers..

Chips.

Chips,

It is the radiator as you say. I tried araldite but it is still leaking from behind the araldite.

Where can I get a rad from ? Is it the same as the Supra ?

Cheers

ThE_WiLeY

Hi,

Im not sure if the Supra radiator is the same as the Aristo.

When i phoned Lexus/Toyota last year asking for a price for a Aristo radiator from memory they said £512 :o

The only difference bewteen the mk1 Aristo and the mk1 GS300 is the postion of the top hose outlet coming from the radiator.

Where the radiator cap is on the Aristo,thats where the outlet hose is on the GS300 and vice versa.

If you can get a aftermarket radiator company to make a new radiator up using and repairing the top plastic part of your radiator then you should be ok and the price will be about £200 tops.

The other option is to do like i did and buy the uk GS300 mk1 radiator and make a extension top hose up to fit.

I just thought maybe if you bought the mk1 GS300 top hose that would be longer and fit the uk GS300 radiator.That would be the better option.

The only downside is with the uk GS300 radiator it pushes against the Turbo pipe.But as its not sucking air it wont collapse.

The choice is yours.

Chips.

Hi,

Im not sure if the Supra radiator is the same as the Aristo.

When i phoned Lexus/Toyota last year asking for a price for a Aristo radiator from memory they said £512 :o

The only difference bewteen the mk1 Aristo and the mk1 GS300 is the postion of the top hose outlet coming from the radiator.

Where the radiator cap is on the Aristo,thats where the outlet hose is on the GS300 and vice versa.

If you can get a aftermarket radiator company to make a new radiator up using and repairing the top plastic part of your radiator then you should be ok and the price will be about £200 tops.

The other option is to do like i did and buy the uk GS300 mk1 radiator and make a extension top hose up to fit.

I just thought maybe if you bought the mk1 GS300 top hose that would be longer and fit the uk GS300 radiator.That would be the better option.

The only downside is with the uk GS300 radiator it pushes against the Turbo pipe.But as its not sucking air it wont collapse.

The choice is yours.

Chips.

Cheers for that, got a brand new Aristo Rad from the local Oxford Toyota Dealer today for £300 suprised they had one as I only ordered it yesterday.

ThE_WiLeY