Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sparkling Alloys

crazylex

No he said it was the same as cockpit shine - and it was sticky (like a silicone spray)

I used it , but I did make sure it did not go on the discs - thinking - shiney alloys would look great in a ditch

Trouble is no matter what you clean your wheels with, you do not have to go far before they are dirty/dusty.

What I really want is some cleaner you can spray on, then wash the rest of the car, only to find when you look back at the wheels, they are completely clean. Having many slots on these wheels takes me longer to clean them than the rest of the car. So far I havn't found anything that doesn't involve a lot of time and effort.

So I tend to wash mine twice a week.

I use Meguirs High Gloss Gell on the tyres (since a few recommended it on here) which looks good, you just have to make sure you dont leave to much on the tyre or it spins off onto the car.

I know the problem mate - which is exactly why I ordered the 5 spoke 18inch wheels on my ST - I can get my hand inside the whell and give it a good clean - the 16 spoke standard ones must be a nightmare to clean

I love the wheels, they even have an M logo on them :D (so has the steering wheel and gear knob) -wish I had one on the engine :hehe:

I use a "printers" sponge on the wheels, its quite firm and fits perfectly in the slots. But even then it is a nightmare tryingt to clean them - if you look around most owners seem to have given it up as a lost cause.

1.Road dirt / Tar should be removed with a solvent type cleaner and any bonded contaminants or over spray removed with Detailer's clay, then clean surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One) wash and dry wheel surface thoroughly.

2.Once the brake dust has been removed with a 100% acid-free wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) apply a citrus based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) to the surface, agitate with a boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse off, dry thoroughly and then apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended (Klasse All-In-One or Zoopseal) as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.

3.Stubborn brake dust1. Stubborn brake dust- Power Wheel Cleaner (http://www.topoftheline.com/) even though it does not contain harsh acids, it dissolves the adhesive that is mixed with the brake dust. (This is why brake dust is so difficult to remove.) Just spray on wheels and tires, agitate with brush if needed, and hose-off. Don't worry if you accidentally spray your vehicle's body, it will not harm the paint.

Isn't that stuff silicon though? - surely you don't want it anywhere near your discs?

Rodders - just seen an add in EVO mag - for Silica wheel seal - silica wheel seal - its available at Halfords so I am going to try some - I am sure it will just be similar stuff the Cockpit shine

Oh yeah theres a babe on the site -Wish I could find her loose thread and pull it just a bit :D

• 1 month later...

thing i found works a treat was cockpit shine on the front bumper makes it alot easier to wipe the dead flies off in the summer.. so if going to a meet you can simply wipe of and voila.. clean front end.

• 3 months later...
:whistling: Hi guys, i have been using a product for over a year with great results. Once i have given the wheels a birthday the easiest way to keep them clean is use MUC-OFF, you just squirt it on, aggitate the nasty bits, leave for two minutes and rinse, its completely safe and enviro friendly. I use it every wash and it only takes a couple mins per wheel. You can find this on the net, i buy it in 5 litre cans and it lasts about three months if used sparingly, cost around £19. Found this when i went to look for a quick cleaner for my mountain bike. My Sport wheels are a pain to clean so this means more time down the pub.