Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clonking/creaking At Low Speed Turning

As above realy.

I was thinking ball joints or brake shims?

Had the motor up on a ramp with a mechanic friend and we couldnt see anything worn or loose

Any ideas guys?

1, Which of the joints most commonly go first? Anyone got pics or a guide?

2, Has anyone got info on the brake shim problem some people have, in the US there is an upgrade kit, is there such a thing in the UK?

Cheers

Paul

This is a common annoyance with IS200's, theres alot on this...think 90% of causes are the pads moving around in the calipers.

Temp fix is copper grease.

Aaron

I think he has a GS ;)

Hi all,

Yup I've got the same issue. There is a grinding noise when I turn left on the drivers side front wheel. It tsounds like the pads scrapping on the discs. I changed absolutley everything possible on the front wheels i.e pads, clips and discs. The noise was still there, I then took it to a mates garage, he called his friend who was an x employee for Lexus who now works for a company called Gem, I think its Gemca's (Toyota's) service side (lots of jap cars there). Anyway I told him where the noise was coming from and told him what I replaced. His first question them was have the ball joints ever been changed . I answered never, and he said that's the issue. He also advised me that Lexus change them as part of their service every 40,000 miles, as those joints take alot of load etc.. when turning.

Anyway he has ordered the part for me, both ball joints (left, right) as I might as well replace both. My mate will put them on next week.

mate

I think your mileage is 100k right? these are very heavy cars and suspensions wear quite bad.

lower ball joints go very rapidly on these cars, the US guys are always changing them.

Also, the tie rods go too. anti-roll bar brushes too. these are the cheap fixes.

you could just try greasing everything up.

if it turns out that there is still weird noises after that lot being done, you need to inspect upper and lower control arms, which ain't cheap if either of them need replacing as you can't change the upper ball joints separately!

mate

I think your mileage is 100k right? these are very heavy cars and suspensions wear quite bad.

lower ball joints go very rapidly on these cars, the US guys are always changing them.

Also, the tie rods go too. anti-roll bar brushes too. these are the cheap fixes.

you could just try greasing everything up.

if it turns out that there is still weird noises after that lot being done, you need to inspect upper and lower control arms, which ain't cheap if either of them need replacing as you can't change the upper ball joints separately!

Hi, the car has done 78,000 and these ball joints were never changed at 40,000 either.

How much will the lower ball joints cost for just the parts?

And where is best to get them from?

I was told they will cost approx £40-50 each but I guess as he is an x employee he can get them cheaper. Best place is to buy them from Lexus (origional), Unless anyone else would like to make a comment.

I just got mine for 70 quid for the pair, but that was off a private seller on clublexus. I know Sewell's of Texas is doing them for 99 bucks for the pair, add shipping and import duty to that. I'm guessing they are 60-70 quid each for the GS in the UK..but call up ur local stealer and check...

before you get the balljoints and tie rods changed, make sure the mechanic marks the alignment with a chalk or something, so when he fits the new parts, you avoid going for a full alignment..however, everyone recommends a full geo after balljoints/tie rods have been fitted as it does affect the settings...

I just got mine for 70 quid for the pair, but that was off a private seller on clublexus. I know Sewell's of Texas is doing them for 99 bucks for the pair, add shipping and import duty to that. I'm guessing they are 60-70 quid each for the GS in the UK..but call up ur local stealer and check...

before you get the balljoints and tie rods changed, make sure the mechanic marks the alignment with a chalk or something, so when he fits the new parts, you avoid going for a full alignment..however, everyone recommends a full geo after balljoints/tie rods have been fitted as it does affect the settings...

Got ya, thanks for the advise. Are you also saying that the tie rods should be changed?

Got ya, thanks for the advise. Are you also saying that the tie rods should be changed?

depends. not sure about the IS as the car is a lot lighter, so may not wear as quickly as the GS and LS models. but it will definitely help to tighten the turn in of the car, if the car does have a few miles on it.

www.olyonline.com is a good place too (again US based) but they do beck&arnley balljoints and tie rods, which are a perfect fit for lexus cars. unfortunately, they cover every lexus model except the IS!