Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diesel Owners

...do you use?

I'm totally baffled as to why my 220d runs badly on Sainsbo's, but runs much better on BP and Shell.

So what do you use and have you found this? Or is it just me (again)?

What average MPG are you getting on that fuel?

On Sainsbos I get 33-40mpg

On Bp upto 48mpg at similar speeds and conditions

Hhhmmm, never really got anything but Tesco's as it's close to home and I get the points.

Need to fill up today so I'll go to BP and see if I get any difference, my running average (all urban really) is around the 37 mark but it has stretched to it's highest of 45 for an 80 mile journey the other day at a steady indicated 80 on cruise. Might have to swap to BP it it adds as much as it does for you....

Hi,

you can find a lot of discussion this topic on the web - google "supermarket fuels".

There seems to be anecdotal evidence that major branded fuel is better but there is no hard evidence for this.

There is also anecdotal information that in some cases the fuel for both branded and supermarkets comes from the same storage tank.

I think you have to experiment and see what works best for you.

I've been using sainsbury's and getting 32/33mpg..need to fill up tonight so will try BP..although I thought most supermarket petrol is purchased from the Big 4..ie. sainsburys fuel is bought from BP?

This is precisely why I'm so baffled. It's happened so many times, that I can no longer put it down to coincidence... :o

Luckily, BP also give Nectar points :D and I'm saving for an Ipod... :shifty:

I've just seen the Biodiesel website...at £1.44 per litre, someones taking the proverbial p1s5!

right..i filled up lat night with BP rather than sainsbury's....granted i have only done 30 miles since..but...mile tank average has shot up to 41mpg...and....sixth gear is usable at 70mph..this is on the same commute i do every day where i was acheiving 32/33mpg and struggling with 6th at 80mph.

I've just seen the Biodiesel website...at £1.44 per litre, someones taking the proverbial p1s5!

don't know what sort of MPG you can get from biodiesel but you can easily produce it at home for under 50pence/l

don't know what sort of MPG you can get from biodiesel but you can easily produce it at home for under 50pence/l

How :blink:

Surely you have to add something to the Fry Crisp and dry?

Kerosene. Only probelm is that once you do add the kerosene you are then liable for the fuel duties that apply to all motor fuels. Obviously only if you are caught. But there might be a bit of suspicion with the fried chip smell coming out the back of the car.

Another one for petrol users by the way is to dilute your petrol with bio ethenol. Almost all new cars will run well with up to 15% ethenol diluted.

As far as I know, there is not yet an agreed standard for Biodiesel so Car Manufacturers have been reluctant to extend the warranties to include biodiesel. Before using biodiesel it would be wise to check what Lexus position is. I have seen statements from other manufacturers but not Lexus. Those that are extending warranties seem to be limiting it to specified % blend eg 5% Blend.

How :blink:

Surely you have to add something to the Fry Crisp and dry?

here is one recipe i'm sure you can find loads others.

hi guys

Although i have yet amanage to do any motorway driving its about town im getting around 35 to the tank and i am using shell mainly, BP is to expensive in the area

That's pretty good for town only. I suppose even if you do get it onto a Motorway, the M8 is normally at a standstill each time I go on it...

My local BP doesn't do the Ultimate Diesel. There is a large Shell down the road - I will need to see if they sell "Shell Diesel Extra".

One thing that I have noticed is that BP have stated that their Ultimate Diesel has a Cetane rating of 55 or more. Normally it's 51ish. Shell have stated that their "xtra" version has a high cetane level, but won't state what this is: Cetane - an explanation.

I find that just normal BP diesel is better than the unbranded stuff, so the super stuff ought to be much better...

PS - a thing I have just noticed by looking at the BP Ultimate Locator (here) is that during my run to Cumbria, I filled up at the BP station, southbound on the A591 between Kendal and Windermere. Guess what? They sell BP Ultimate Diesel...that's what I reckon I put in and thinking back I thought it was expensive. I averaged 48mpg at motorway speeds, including a stop over at SoT!! So may be it's not that dear afterall!!

...do you use?

I'm totally baffled as to why my 220d runs badly on Sainsbo's, but runs much better on BP and Shell.

So what do you use and have you found this? Or is it just me (again)?

What average MPG are you getting on that fuel?

On Sainsbos I get 33-40mpg

On Bp upto 48mpg at similar speeds and conditions

hi this is gospel

supermarket fuel does NOT have the additives that regular brands have this is the

same with petrol that is why it,s cheap !

at my garage we advise not to use supermarket fuel unless you want sticking

cam lifters and a worn out engine! on all servicing we do we use TEXACO additives

in the fuel and engine flush on all LEXUS,S and lesser vehicles

TEXACO SPEC SHEET AVAILABLE

regards tommy