Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adding Sub & Amp To Factory Radio/speakers

Ok peeps anyone who can help please lend your tips advice, if you don't know no need to post..This is based on reg99 IS200 SPORT... thats right Sport so it has the other amp. :winky:

Just to make it clear what I'm trying to do, I have a amp & sub that I want to add to the factory setup speakers & HU.

I do not want to mess around witht the factory speakers as I see them as being more than fine at the moment. Can I just add a new amp/sub to the headunit, in other cars I've just plugged & played but as I know the IS200 Sport seems to be differnt, and already has a amp connected to it. Any help appreciated guys, don't want to pull the car apart if it's not possible.

Thanks Chris

Ok peeps anyone who can help please lend your tips advice, if you don't know no need to post..This is based on reg99 IS200 SPORT... thats right Sport so it has the other amp. :winky:

Just to make it clear what I'm trying to do, I have a amp & sub that I want to add to the factory setup speakers & HU.

I do not want to mess around witht the factory speakers as I see them as being more than fine at the moment. Can I just add a new amp/sub to the headunit, in other cars I've just plugged & played but as I know the IS200 Sport seems to be differnt, and already has a amp connected to it. Any help appreciated guys, don't want to pull the car apart if it's not possible.

Thanks Chris

Its actually a pain in the *****. You cant run the amp and sub off the headunit as far as i know, theres no inputs for it, You can buy an aftermarket headunit, chop into the factory wiring(or get a extension loom off Fargo) then run your rca cable from you rca out on the new HU to your own amp in the boot

yeah all decent amps dont just have rca input they also have the line input wich im pretty sure u can nick from just 1 of the speaker outs

Sounding like a right mission sadly now :yawn: so the way forward is to get a After Market HU either way?

One with a Sub Out as well as line inputs?

Would I be forced to change all the stock speakers? It's slowly looking like I might have to get it all done professionally which means big bucks... :crybaby: Stupid sports version...

Mr Singh are you out there and maybe can help me?

I think it's time to rip the car apart and start looking into it either in the week, def at the weekend...

Edited by chrisis200

yeah all decent amps dont just have rca input they also have the line input wich im pretty sure u can nick from just 1 of the speaker outs

Sounding like a right mission sadly now :yawn: so the way forward is to get a After Market HU either way?

Would I be forced to change all the stock speakers? It's slowly looking like I might have to get it all done professionally which means big bucks... :crybaby: Stupid sports version...

I think it's time to rip the car apart and start looking into it either in the week, def at the weekend...

iv been doin this over past week had the car 1 week n already put in aftermarket headunit unit + sub in boot

both were pretty easy

decent headunit cost £150 n tht will have all ur rca preouts my panasonic had front out back out sub out aux in cd chnager in

loads of ***** aftermarket way to go :)

running front speakers off headunit as they r pretty mint in the lexus and will do me for now got a 15inch kicker sub in boot for bass (looots offf basss) altho might change bk to 2x12inch rockfords as they r my babys n love there sorta bass

iv been doin this over past week had the car 1 week n already put in aftermarket headunit unit + sub in boot

both were pretty easy

decent headunit cost £150 n tht will have all ur rca preouts my panasonic had front out back out sub out aux in cd chnager in

loads of ***** aftermarket way to go :)

running front speakers off headunit as they r pretty mint in the lexus and will do me for now got a 15inch kicker sub in boot for bass (looots offf basss) altho might change bk to 2x12inch rockfords as they r my babys n love there sorta bass

So just to make clear for Lee and myself ;)

1)New HU wired in (Sounds best plan)

2)Run the four front speakers off the New HU? Like most cars would in the first place.

3)Wire up sub/amp like you would in any ordinary car like I have done before

I see the real key to this is getting a new HU to be honest once I have that in, I could just wire speakers/subs in like any other car I suppose.

Another quick question, Did you take out/disconnect the stock amp then? And are either are your rear speakers still plugged in?

Thanks for your time Russdx :)

well thing is im IS200 S

and lucky for us S models (not se or sport)

is the standard toyota iso lead is stright plug n play (far as i no we aint got an amp)

so the headunit will run front speakers and the front tweeters n the rear ones all through the iso cable u dont need to do any thing

yeah then all i did was put power to the back and hav rca lead + amp remote cable from headunit go to back of car to power my sub

nice thing about lexus is it very easy to take apart lol

right under the Battery in engine bay is a fat gromit u put the main sub power cable through the just feed this down side of the car by pullin up the trim (no screws just lifts up (clips hold it down)

glove box comes out well easy by just push the pins in tht holds its hinge together at bottom (easy access to back of headunit)

run all cables to back of the car to the seat push them down the side of the seat all the way up to the back of the seat

if u pull the seat back a bit u will see a hole leading into the boot just put cables into there

and ur sorted

so if ur an IS200 S u just need

headunit £150+ decent mp3 one

facia kit £19

ISO lead £10

and wot ever sub and amp / box and wiring kit u want

job done :)

well thing is im IS200 S

and lucky for us S models (not se or sport)

is the standard toyota iso lead is stright plug n play (far as i no we aint got an amp)

so the headunit will run front speakers and the front tweeters n the rear ones all through the iso cable u dont need to do any thing

yeah then all i did was put power to the back and hav rca lead + amp remote cable from headunit go to back of car to power my sub

nice thing about lexus is it very easy to take apart lol

right under the battery in engine bay is a fat gromit u put the main sub power cable through the just feed this down side of the car by pullin up the trim (no screws just lifts up (clips hold it down)

glove box comes out well easy by just push the pins in tht holds its hinge together at bottom (easy access to back of headunit)

run all cables to back of the car to the seat push them down the side of the seat all the way up to the back of the seat

if u pull the seat back a bit u will see a hole leading into the boot just put cables into there

and ur sorted

so if ur an IS200 S u just need

headunit £150+ decent mp3 one

facia kit £19

ISO lead £10

and wot ever sub and amp / box and wiring kit u want

job done :)

I hate my sport then..lol Will look at it as soon as I can :crybaby:

yeah dude not sure wot u do about sport

must be some bodged iso cable out der for it

or only other option is just use iso i got and wire up all the speakers ur self (not nice)

altho in my audi tht had an internal amp and there was a iso cable for it tht used the preouts on ur headunit to control the amp might be somin like this for audi ?

my only ideas dude

or only other option is just use iso i got and wire up all the speakers ur self (not nice)

altho in my audi tht had an internal amp and there was a iso cable for it tht used the preouts on ur headunit to control the amp might be somin like this for audi ?

my only ideas dude

For the models with the external amp(sports and altezza rs200 z edition) Fargo can make you up an extension loom that connects onto your existing factory head unit connectors, which allows you then to cut the wires together with a standard Toyota ISO that you have connected into your aftermarket HU. It saves you having to bypass the amp or cutting up your stock connections. Waiting on it to arrive and ill try post up a howto, if i get it installed successfully!! :crybaby:

For the models with the external amp(sports and altezza rs200 z edition) Fargo can make you up an extension loom that connects onto your existing factory head unit connectors, which allows you then to cut the wires together with a standard Toyota ISO that you have connected into your aftermarket HU. It saves you having to bypass the amp or cutting up your stock connections. Waiting on it to arrive and ill try post up a howto, if i get it installed successfully!! :crybaby:

IRLRs200, Please provide more infor about this Extension loom that Fargo can make up :question: do you know if it will still run the AMP? :o

If this might be the thing i have been looking for. :hehe:

:offtopic: I vote we should have a seperate line for us SE, Sports owners Sound Install problems :crybaby:

Cheers

Dibs

IRLRs200, Please provide more infor about this Extension loom that Fargo can make up :question: do you know if it will still run the AMP? :o

:offtopic: I vote we should have a seperate line for us SE, Sports owners Sound Install problems :crybaby:

Cheers

Dibs

Hey Dibs,

its a loom that one end plugs into the factory connector and the other end plugs into the stock HU, so what you would do is chop off one end and wire your new HU into it, its not a ISO which allows direct wire to wire. BUT it is a connector that allows you to hack up without touching your stock wires.

Waiting for delivery from Fargo, should get it next week. Ill let you know how i get on.PM i think he said he has a load of them made up. 40 quid.

Ill try take loads of pics and stick up a Guide when im done.

Here's what i plan on hooking up:

Pioneer DEH P55BT

Lexus Facia Plate

Toyota ISO connector

Fargo magic extension cable!

In Phase IPA900 1200w 2 channel amp

Db Audio 12" Raptor

In Phase 2 Farad capacitor

In Phase XT63 in the front

Pioneer TSA 6911 in the back

Looking forward to the guide, it would be really useful. Remember to post it in the garage section for future prosperity. :D

That looks like a great ICE install, hope it runs well and keep the Pic’s posted please.

I have sent a message to Fargo to see what he has to say.

I am still not sure if the standard Amp is bypassed or not with this magic Wiring loom cable thing form Fargo? :duh:

Cheers for the information, I will be waiting to the guide mate. :hehe:

dibslpg

Cheers

Dibs

Hey Dibs,

its a loom that one end plugs into the factory connector and the other end plugs into the stock HU, so what you would do is chop off one end and wire your new HU into it, its not a ISO which allows direct wire to wire. BUT it is a connector that allows you to hack up without touching your stock wires.

Waiting for delivery from Fargo, should get it next week. Ill let you know how i get on.PM i think he said he has a load of them made up. 40 quid.

Ill try take loads of pics and stick up a Guide when im done.

Here's what i plan on hooking up:

Pioneer DEH P55BT

Lexus Facia Plate

Toyota ISO connector

Fargo magic extension cable!

In Phase IPA900 1200w 2 channel amp

Db Audio 12" Raptor

In Phase 2 Farad capacitor

In Phase XT63 in the front

Pioneer TSA 6911 in the back

my only ideas dude

That would be a life saver if you could mate, just update us on your progress thanks ;)

Hello

I have recently added a sub to the standard setup, factory HU & speakers & it is soooo simple you'll be pleased to know!

If you have a sub & amp already, then you will need a highlevel to line level convertor, pick one up from Halfords for about £2.50 or something silly like that.

Cut into the sub part of the rear 6x9's & join this to the line level convertor as per the instructions.

You will now have two line level RCA's to connect to you amp & the pleasure of getting power from the Battery to the boot along with a 12+ from the ignition to turn the amp on, I used one from the back of the HU so that the amp only comes on when the stereo is on.

The only thing I will say is you will need to invest in plenty of dynamatt if you dont want that awfull pannel vibrating sound.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hello

I have recently added a sub to the standard setup, factory HU & speakers & it is soooo simple you'll be pleased to know!

If you have a sub & amp already, then you will need a highlevel to line level convertor, pick one up from Halfords for about £2.50 or something silly like that.

Cut into the sub part of the rear 6x9's & join this to the line level convertor as per the instructions.

You will now have two line level RCA's to connect to you amp & the pleasure of getting power from the battery to the boot along with a 12+ from the ignition to turn the amp on, I used one from the back of the HU so that the amp only comes on when the stereo is on.

The only thing I will say is you will need to invest in plenty of dynamatt if you dont want that awfull pannel vibrating sound.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Would this convertor do the job?

Boss convertor

also where do you connect the remote amp lead to on the factory HU?

Hello

Yep, that'll do you, but it looks a bit overkill TBH, like I said, just pop in to Halfords, they do a much simpler one which realy is only a few quid!

As for the amp remote, I made a mistake, my amp comes on when the ignition is turned on not when the radio comes on/off. Just take the stereo out & use any of the 12+ which only works with the ignition on.

Cheers.

Hello

You will now have two line level RCA's to connect to you amp & the pleasure of getting power from the battery to the boot along with a 12+ from the ignition to turn the amp on, I used one from the back of the HU so that the amp only comes on when the stereo is on.

Cheers.

Stuart

Still curious, with my 6 x9's i can only see 2 wires going to each speaker(looking from the boot) are these the wires i need to use or is the different ones elsewhere?

Also do you have a part number for that line level convertor, cant find it on Halfords site, rand them up and they dont have a clue!

Hello

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi Stuart you dont have a part number for that line level convertor, cant find it on Halfords site

No I dont sorry, I just went in the shop & asked for it, I think Maplin do the too, I'll have a look, see if I can dig anything out.

Cheers.

Stuart

Here try this:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=PX043

Still seems a lot more than what I paid but was a while ago & my memory is not so good :duh:

If you are passing a Halfords, just pop in & ask for a speaker/high level to line level/RCA converter, the one that converts the speaker output from a HU to RCA's, someone should know what your on about.

Alternatively, if you havent got you kit yet, look for an amp with high/speaker level inputs.

Cheers.

Stuart

Here try this:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=PX043

Still seems a lot more than what I paid but was a while ago & my memory is not so good :duh:

If you are passing a Halfords, just pop in & ask for a speaker/high level to line level/RCA converter, the one that converts the speaker output from a HU to RCA's, someone should know what your on about.

Alternatively, if you havent got you kit yet, look for an amp with high/speaker level inputs.

Cheers.

Stuart

Well this is the amp i have not sure if it has high/speaker level inputs

IN Phase amp

Looks like you're in luck mate... :D

The bit that says "All amplifiers even feature high level input sockets to allow you to run the amplifiers from your existing factory fitted radio." means that you can disconnect the speaker wire from the sub part of the rear speakers & connect that directly to the amp, you'll probably need to extend the cable though.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Stuart