Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adding Sub & Amp To Factory Radio/speakers

Looks like you're in luck mate... :D

The bit that says "All amplifiers even feature high level input sockets to allow you to run the amplifiers from your existing factory fitted radio." means that you can disconnect the speaker wire from the sub part of the rear speakers & connect that directly to the amp, you'll probably need to extend the cable though.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Stuart

So this a view of my rear speakers taken from inside the boot, there is 2 connections, one red, one black. Do i totally disconnect these from the speaker or just cut into them and add wires that i can run to the amp

dscn0501do8.jpg

Hi, can't see your picture, but as I remember, it is the cable which can be got at easily from in the boot.

It is the one which goes to the sub of the rear speaker so you get to keep the mid/hi's.

You need to cut or remove this cable from the sub as you wont need it anymore.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi, can't see your picture, but as I remember, it is the cable which can be got at easily from in the boot.

It is the one which goes to the sub of the rear speaker so you get to keep the mid/hi's.

Cheers.

Stuart

try copy and paste this link into your browser, that should work

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1361/dscn0502sd4.jpg

Cheers.

Stuart

try copy and paste this link into your browser, that should work

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1361/dscn0502sd4.jpg

That's the one, either de-solder it from the speaker or cut it & join it to your amps speaker level input, you'll see this in the amps user manual.

Good luck mate, I'm off home now as I've had a busy day at work so probably wont be on here till Monday.

Stuart

That's the one, either de-solder it from the speaker or cut it & join it to your amps speaker level input, you'll see this in the amps user manual.

Good luck mate, I'm off home now as I've had a busy day at work so probably wont be on here till Monday.

Stuart

Got my hands on one of those line level convertors at last. It come with 5 cables:

left positive/negative

right positive/negative

speaker ground

So do i need to connect up to the wiring from both left and right factory woofer cones or just one? And do i need to connect the speaker ground cable? If so, to what? Had the amp powered on but think i blew a fuse somewhere. could miswiring of the inline converter to the factory wires blow something?

Hi

My one came with instructions, which said to connect the earth wire, which I think you are calling speaker ground, to the cars earth, so I think mine is connected to the same ground point as my amp.

Could be any number of things causing a fuse to blow, but the first thing I would check is that you have the correct rate fuse & make sure there is no short anywhere in the circuit, next thing would be to make sure you havent turned up the amp to far.

Yes you do need to connect up both left & right speakers as your amp more than likely has a left & right input.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi

My one came with instructions, which said to connect the earth wire, which I think you are calling speaker ground, to the cars earth, so I think mine is connected to the same ground point as my amp.

Could be any number of things causing a fuse to blow, but the first thing I would check is that you have the correct rate fuse & make sure there is no short anywhere in the circuit, next thing would be to make sure you havent turned up the amp to far.

Yes you do need to connect up both left & right speakers as your amp more than likely has a left & right input.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Finally got my amp and sub hooked up to the standard HU. However if i have both left and right speaker inputs hooked up to the line level convertor, its sounds so bad, so with one disconnected its fine. Must have a miswire somewhere!. Anyway i have my bass for now. I already bought a new headunit, just waiting on a new 4 channel amp to arrive then, im sticking in new speakers all round and new wiring! So this is just a temporary fix.

One thing i noticed, my sub sounds louder with the boot actually open. Its not a ported box, and not properly secured to the boot, maybe this is causing the problem