Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Towing !

I am considering getting a caravan. (Yes I know this will make me very unpopular to many !!)

Does anyone out there have any experience of towing with a IS200 SE ?

Is it a good tow car or should I forget it.

I see Lexus state it can pull 1200kg's but I would like as much feedback as poss before I take the plunge and get an ugly towbar fitted.

IMHO the 1G-FE would not be very well suited to towing as it likes to be revved and has little torque low to mid revs.

Could be shot down by peeps who have actually towed with an IS200 though :tomato:

I am considering getting a caravan. (Yes I know this will make me very unpopular to many !!)

I see Lexus state it can pull 1200kg's but I would like as much feedback as poss before I take the plunge and get an ugly towbar fitted.

Personally i suggest before thinking about changing car you suggest changing hobby! Caravaning!

LOL :lol:

I have experience of towing but nothing as heavy as a caravan. The boats I've towed have been barely noticeable behind the IS200 but they are very light in comparison to a caravan.

I do have full caravan-style electrics fitted so there's no problem there.

In comparison to other cars I guess the rear-wheel drive should be a big advantage but the poor torque at low revs a disadvantage.

Brink do a detachable tow-bar for the IS200 so you don't have to put up with the "ugly" tow-bar permanently.

A tow-bar is also a useful fitting to have if you want to use certain types of cycle carriers :)