Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recall Letter

Just recd voice mail from my dealer, car due in tomorrow 8am, having been booked in 10 days ago, Lexus have run out of master cylinders! Good job I dont work to the same exacting standards (finance industry) dear Mr. Customer dont call tomorrow we've run out of money.

I have a 2003 SE-L and this happened to me last year...

I noticed the brake warning light came on so rung lexus and they said needs to come in for new pads etc which was due any how. I had to have a curtesy car so waited 10 days for this.

7 days later I was driving up the M1 and the pedal started to go soft then completed went to the floor metal to metal! I managed to stop from 85ish and them limped to the nearest lexus dealer.

I got the car shipped back to my dealer and got a train home (paid for by lexus)!

When I asked they said the pads had warn through and they had replaced the pads and discs now and picked up the car some £400 worse off on the saturday.

Monday I drove up the M1 again and guess what.. same happened! this time I was nearer my main dealer so took it in there and went ape!

I left and went home and later was told it was the brake mast cylinder that was at fault.

I had to wait 4 weeks to get this fixed, got a rx Se to drive mean time but did not get too much else from Lexus so I complained officially.

did not hear anything else so not too impressed...

Just be carefull and get this checked as mine really was 2 near misses at high speed. thank *** for good handling to scream across 3 lanes of traffic to the hard shoulder!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

well the RX went in for a service having had the recall appointment cancelled.... guess what, they inspected the master cylinder and have impounded it, as it has the problem they were originally looking for in the recall that was cancelled! still no parts available, nor any firm date when they will be - maybe 2 weeks.

so watch out if you re due a service, you may be stuck with a loan car for a while.

well the RX went in for a service having had the recall appointment cancelled.... guess what, they inspected the master cylinder and have impounded it, as it has the problem they were originally looking for in the recall that was cancelled! still no parts available, nor any firm date when they will be - maybe 2 weeks.

so watch out if you re due a service, you may be stuck with a loan car for a while.

Mine is in next week @ Bolton - The longer they keep it the better, I am over my lease mileage so the longer they want it the better. Don't mind a new RX 350 for christmas (he he ! ) and it will come back *spotless* possibly with goodies as always - EXELLENT SERVICE

• 2 weeks later...
From experience I know that they are just car dealers - nothing more or less. The lexus brand image no longer holds any mystique for me im afraid. Perhaps if they had come up with a better explanation at the time then I wouldnt have been suspicious.

To be honest, Im not really bothered about the fuel and bubbly, nor the brake servo.

What Im hoping for is a brake failure in the meantime so I can crash and sue for a tidy sum. Or my executor if I dont make it :P .

Oh and while theyre about it, they can fix the damn lurching. Pursuit of perfection my :tsktsk:

which Rx is this affecting Mine is a dec 2005 model but not heard anything from anyone. No recall listed on VOSA site either Can anyone advise if I might be affected?? (dont want to ring dealer without any ammo !!!)

Also silly question but the Hazard warning button in car should this Flash when in operation??? mine doesnt and to be honest dont know if it ever did!

D

which Rx is this affecting Mine is a dec 2005 model but not heard anything from anyone. No recall listed on VOSA site either Can anyone advise if I might be affected?? (dont want to ring dealer without any ammo !!!)

Also silly question but the Hazard warning button in car should this Flash when in operation??? mine doesnt and to be honest dont know if it ever did!

My May 2005 SE-L is not subject to a recall, so yours surely will not be either, and no the button does not flash.

My May 2005 SE-L is not subject to a recall, so yours surely will not be either, and no the button does not flash.

THANK YOU!!

• 2 weeks later...
My Rx 300 has now been in for over 4 weeks with vey vague answers as to when I will see it again.

Very dissapointed with 'customer servive' and the Kia loan car.

Starting to think someone is taking the p.

Kia loan car?? Oh dear.

Mines been with lexus since early december and i was last told that they were not expecting any parts until the 16th jan - probably.

On the upside, ive had an IS250SE (that was too small) , then an RX 400 (mmmm I want one) and now a GS450H from lexus GB until mine is fixed.

Perhaps you need to complain a little? :-)

Hi,

I received the Letter from Lexus France dated on october 16, and went to my Toyota / Lexus dealer in Plerin (Britany france), no pb with my RX300 (12.2003), they did not change anything.

In the letter it is said that they will send me a box of teas... (very british) but I am still waiting for that tea time ;)

Happy new year to all :D

Got my car back this week - sooner than expected. Apparently the parts arrived early.

Didnt get any champers, nor my tank refilled - just a big bill for the service it originally went in for.

Oh, and they got 3/4 tank of fuel free of charge that I put in their loan car.

Looks like Im some sort of Pariah!

Got my car back this week - sooner than expected. Apparently the parts arrived early.

Didnt get any champers, nor my tank refilled - just a big bill for the service it originally went in for.

Oh, and they got 3/4 tank of fuel free of charge that I put in their loan car.

Looks like Im some sort of Pariah!

Who was the dealer you should name and shame as it is Lexus GB that are paying for all the freebies.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There

My RX is in today for its recall.

So we will see what Lexus Edinburgh are like for customer services on recalls.

One thing that has (to put it mildly ) cheesed me of is having to pay £10 for a courtesy car. Anybody else had to pay this. :o

Neil.

Hi There

One thing that has (to put it mildly ) cheesed me of is having to pay £10 for a courtesy car. Anybody else had to pay this. :o

Neil.

My dealer will charge for optional insurance. The car comes free.

Hi There

Neil.

Never been charged for a courtesy car but it has to be booked at least a week in advance on most occassions. It maybe that your dealer is just being up front though - perhaps mine just adds it to the bill under 'labour' without telling me !

Having said that, I was never charged for a courtesy car when mine went in for a recall.

Well my RX didn't need a new Master Cylinder.

Received a bottle of champers and £20 worth of petrol.

As far as customer service is concerned :

Lexus Edinburgh need to get there act together.

First they couldn't find the courtesy car, and it was in need of a good wash even though it had only done 300 odd miles.

Phoned at 4PM to see if our car was ready was told yes it was. Arrived back at 4.30PM to collect, they then had to go and get the petrol.

We Don't know what they were doing but it took them 40 mins to hand the car over. This dely then put us out into rush hour traffic which we had hoped to miss.

Neil.

Hi there everyone

my first post!

regarding the master cylinder recall, I got the call for my RX and tied it in with test driving the RX400h. Two hours later, on the test, I received a phone call from my dealer saying it needed one and I could not have it back until it was fixed.........two weeks! I would get a hire car though, a lovely Vectra.

My question was if they are checking them, why not have the part in stock?

To cut a long story short, I stated that it was unacceptable to get a Vectra and they have let me keep the 400h.

Got a phone call the other day to say it should be repaired by the 21st of feb.....one month on!!!!! glad I made a fuss.

I love the performance of the 400h but how good is the fuel consumption really?

that bit hasn't blown me away

Having bought our RX300 only recently, I did double-check that this recall (and the brake light one) had been completed. Thankfully this has been done on our car...by Lexus Hull in 09/2005 and by speaking with Hull, it needed a some rubber grommet-seal-thingy needing to be replaced. We're glad in a way that it has been completed - we wouldn't want to have our RX parked up at a Dealer :)

Then again a valet and tank of fuel would be nice too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

well, one whole month on and I get my car back!

They apologised and I got 20 quid of fuel in the tank, a valet and a bottle of champagne.

Whilst i'm not happy that they didnt have a stock of parts in, I did manage to test drive the RX400h for a month, so not all bad.

They will need some new tyres on it soon though!

I doubt FIAT would do the same!

• 4 weeks later...

My wifes car went in for its 30K service yesterday. As part of the service they have again replaced the brake master cylinder (see my earlier post in this thread). The reason given is that a universal grease was used in the original replacement and Lexus are unhappy with this. Has anybody else heard of this?

No free petrol or Bubbly this time!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links