Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trc And Abs Have Been Dissabled....why?

TheDon

Well i was giving my baby an early christmas present and fitted new shocks all round, new custom discs all round, pads, fluids etc etc and after a good days work i got in the car to test it to find the Abs light on and the TRC light flashing on and off on the dash.

Odd thing is that i never touched any of the abs sensors and only got near them to change the discs!

Can anyone suggest any ways of determining how and why this has happened as i now have more powerful brakes without the aid of traction control or abs!!!

many thanks in advance

right, took everything off and found that something has cut into the abs wire.

Re-soldered the broken wire and re sealed the insulation and it didnt work... so i have taken the Battery off and will hope that it will re-set the sensor.

We will see in the morning tho..

cheers for the help everyone

Well the error is still showing, i am assuming that it will need to be reset electronicaly?

Does this have to be done by a lexus dealer or can it be done by anyone else?

Had an company next to me who do ECU's to repair it.... they used some of their connectors the use for external loom repairs and its as good as new.

No damage to the actual sensor though, just a slice into the actual insulation.

the only fault we could find on all 4 corners was the slit in the wiring insulation.

If this has not cured it surely the fault will still be shown, also plugging it in should confirm if the fault is within this sensor that we repaired.

either way matt will be sending me a new abs sensor once he gets back online.

Yes I had the same problem. The abs sensor / cable was damaged. They repaired the cable but the fault was still there (lights flashing etc).

Speaking to Mat... When the cable is damaged the sensor is damaged and can't be repaired. I bought a sensor off Mat and as soon as I fitted it and drove down the street, the lights went off and the problem was cured :)

Yes I had the same problem. The abs sensor / cable was damaged. They repaired the cable but the fault was still there (lights flashing etc).

Speaking to Mat... When the cable is damaged the sensor is damaged and can't be repaired. I bought a sensor off Mat and as soon as I fitted it and drove down the street, the lights went off and the problem was cured :)

ahh cool, just gotta get matt back online now to respond to the PM's!!! lol

Its all good tho as the car has been put to bed for a bit in my workshop all warm n cosy havin some new parts made. So not in a massive rush.

Cheers for the conformation of the problem tho :)

• 6 years later...

Hey guys I realise these posts are from 2006 but on the off chance that someone is still around to answer me, I have the exact same problem. Took car to mechanic for wheel bearing fix and they said that are the work the abs sensor on the wheel was no longer working. I don't want them to touch my car again as but I've read that the sensor is really quite a delicate component. My question is. Is this something that I can possibly fix on my own? Or do I definitely need a garage to do it?

Cheers!

Thanks Ian! Yeah, I'm trying to get a response from the garage about this topic as they are clearly at fault since the problem occurred on the wheel they repaired! However, I will try and find some kind of guide of where this cable is situated and how to install as I can't say I've ever noticed it before.

It sounds like it has either died from the mechanical shock when they were dismantling the hub, broke it whilst trying to remove it or damged the wiring to it.

Chances are they hammered the disc off and/or used a hammer in type of splitter.

Either way if it was OK before the bearing replacement they are liable for the damage caused.

Have a look at the tutorial below for a LBJ replacement, the 1st picture shows the sensor and explains removal, the wiring is normally secured by rubber gromits and brackets so just follow the wiring back until you find the plug/socket connection.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=tutorials&article=131

Thanks Ian and Steve, yup. I've never seen those fault lights until they handed me the car back yesterday. Told me that they'd give me a quote for the new repair. I was so shocked that I did not know how to respond. Frankly, I'm thinking of trying this on my own and I thank you both for the advice. I wrote to them saying that they admitted breaking it so they are liable to fixing it. But they've not responded. I wonder if I should contact the trading standards authority. Problem is its my word against the garage's.

A new one from Lexus will cost around £200.00, getting a good used one may prove difficult.

Looking at the part numbers it looks similar to the LS400 one which I have one of, if it's any use let me know but I would still be questioning the garage as to their repair methods and what they intend to do about the damage.

Trading Standards are a good place to start.

• 4 months later...

The problem is the abs sensor a lazy mechanic will not disconnect the sensor to change the bearing or any item in that area and will stretch the cable not with intent and cause damage to it very expensive cable not good for the mechanic to own up to the damage, change the cable on the side thats being repaired problem will go away