Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Series Ii Major Service - What Parts

My 2000 (pre-facelift) series II GS is nearing its first big service.. I've had a quote from my local dealer which brought tears to my eye and reckon I'll get it done by a local garage - however I'd rather provide them with the bits than have them use whatever they happen to have on the shelf..

Is there a list anywhere of part numbers / descriptions - for example, what type of spark plug, cam belt, oil, fluids etc?

And while we're on the subject - what do you reckon an independent would charge to change the plugs / cambelt, filters and fluids?

Any help much appreciated - I'm teetering on the edge of being able to afford to run this car these days!

I don't really have part numbers. For Lexus parts such as filters, plugs, cambelt, fluids, you have several choices:

a) Use your GOLD discount to buy the parts at a UK main dealer (easiest) - IIRC, at least 10% discount on parts

B) Use alternative parts providers such as www.japparts.co.uk or www.estimaclub.co.uk (both would be around 40% cheaper than Lexus list prices, with parts the same spec as OEM)

c) Go to Halfords and see what they can source for you (not the best choice)

Spark plugs can be bought off eBay from a US company. I just bought 6 Denso iridium (better performance than factory fit platinum but shorter life) for something like 29 quid inc. delivery.

Just like any 6 year old car, it's much cheaper to use an independent for servicing and repairs than a big main dealer. These cars can be affordable to run if you do your research and find a good source of parts as well as a friendly and honest garage. You will find many members on here who prefer to use their trusted local independent.

To give you an example, my 90k service cost me 220 quid inc. transmission fluid change, but no cambelt or plugs at an independent.

Cambelt is a 200-300 quid from an independent.

How far are you willing to drive to save a few bob on your service then?

Thanks for that - good advice.

As for Toyota dealers - my local one didn't want to know as soon as they heard it was a Lexus - they said 'take it to a Lexus dealer'. I suspect if I had owned a Ford or a Vauxhall they'd have had a different attitude... it all seems a bit incestuous to me.

When I pushed it further they claimed their system didn't have a 'menu' for Lexus servicing so they couldn't do it. A shame - because they would have been much cheaper (on labour rates, anyway).

I plan to buy the bits and have it done at a local garage - I think I'll probably do the minor services myself in future.

As for Toyota dealers - my local one didn't want to know as soon as they heard it was a Lexus - they said 'take it to a Lexus dealer'. I suspect if I had owned a Ford or a Vauxhall they'd have had a different attitude... it all seems a bit incestuous to me.

When I pushed it further they claimed their system didn't have a 'menu' for Lexus servicing so they couldn't do it. A shame - because they would have been much cheaper (on labour rates, anyway).

I think they are telling porkies..........The servicing menu is in your service manual. I had my Biggy done at an independent by a Toyota trained mechanic. Including MOT, and cam belt change, came to £350, and Genuine Toyota parts were asked for and used.

£350! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: - That's a lot less than half what I was quoted by Lexus!

Was that cambelt / plugs and all fluids?

haha...the look on your face must be magic..no need to pay 100+VAT labour rates at lexus...do bear in mind that when folks on LOC quote how much they paid at independent dealers, it can vary significantly,

as peter026 lives in dorset, which is going to have much cheaper labour rates than the south east of england.

I just had a thought. Why don't we compile a list of independent garages that members have used/can recommend, along with their contact details and labour rates, and put it up as a permanent sticky post?

I plan to buy the bits and have it done at a local garage - I think I'll probably do the minor services myself in future.

Have you done your own servicing before?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links